• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Mra Pelwatte Rally 2009 On January 23, 24 & 25

Grand Civic

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HANS devices aren't mandated by SLAS, the governing body, so the club's cant insist on it. Reyaz Farouk uses one, and he even wore it at Pelwatte. However, I doubt that a SLAS device would have protected against this type of injury because Ashan thinks that his seat might have caused the break.

What did save Co-driver Ashan is the very good international-spec roll-cage that driver Ashan had put in the car, with the X-bars for side-impact. A bar tracing the floor of the cabin would have caused even less injury to the co-driver. SLAS has very limited requirements regarding roll-cages and especially for the SL 'GT' cars, this accident should serve as a wake-up call - they need to enforce better roll-cage requirements before somebody gets killed again.

That looked like one hell of a rally. There some nice video's of DD and Javid going side ways. very nice. And not forgetting that special FAN of the overall winner!! ;) Unfortunate for Ashan. Its kind of ironic how he could go 12km with a busted tyre without any problems and for this to happen when all is in ordr. So what really happened KLM?

That looked like one hell of a rally. There some nice video's of DD and Javid going side ways. very nice. And not forgetting that special FAN of the overall winner!! ;) Unfortunate for Ashan. Its kind of ironic how he could go 12km with a busted tyre without any problems and for this to happen when all is in ordr. So what really happened KLM?

You guys have VIDEO clips? Any chance of them being uploaded onto youtube?

Edited by Kavvz

Overdrive, I think Ashan came in a little too hot is all, and I also think that they hadn't given adequate attention to that complex of corners - they should've marked a triple caution there. If you see the pictures, the road kinks right slightly, before going right over this huge culvert and then immediately into a hairpin left. Ashan came in at 140 kmph, braked a little late because he didn't know how bad it was going to be, tried to save the slide but went into the creek where he toppled violently before clobbering a cement barrier and got bounced around within the small confines of the culvert.

They'd run this stage twice before, including at night, but this was the first time he was running it without an overheating engine, without suspect tires and with a working intercom. So on the earlier runs through this stage there were no issues because they weren't going quick enough to crash I guess. The result was a furious pace and a small mistake that cost Ashan a lot, especially considering how hard he and his crew had worked on almost every stage break in order to get them to the next stage start.

At one point, with 30 seconds to go for him to leave, his car was still on jack-stands after a gasket change. His crew pushed the car off the stands and he thrashed all the way to the line to get there with 5 seconds to spare. A massive effort and he really should have been rewarded with a good finish. But that's rallying, and he'll be back for more. To finish first you first have to finish, and you can never say enough for reliability and running within controllable limits.

Kavvz, join the MRA group on that site where your mugshot is booked - all the videos and pictures will end up there over the next few days. :)

Overdrive, I think Ashan came in a little too hot is all, and I also think that they hadn't given adequate attention to that complex of corners - they should've marked a triple caution there. If you see the pictures, the road kinks right slightly, before going right over this huge culvert and then immediately into a hairpin left. Ashan came in at 140 kmph, braked a little late because he didn't know how bad it was going to be, tried to save the slide but went into the creek where he toppled violently before clobbering a cement barrier and got bounced around within the small confines of the culvert.

They'd run this stage twice before, including at night, but this was the first time he was running it without an overheating engine, without suspect tires and with a working intercom. So on the earlier runs through this stage there were no issues because they weren't going quick enough to crash I guess. The result was a furious pace and a small mistake that cost Ashan a lot, especially considering how hard he and his crew had worked on almost every stage break in order to get them to the next stage start.

At one point, with 30 seconds to go for him to leave, his car was still on jack-stands after a gasket change. His crew pushed the car off the stands and he thrashed all the way to the line to get there with 5 seconds to spare. A massive effort and he really should have been rewarded with a good finish. But that's rallying, and he'll be back for more. To finish first you first have to finish, and you can never say enough for reliability and running within controllable limits.

Kavvz, join the MRA group on that site where your mugshot is booked - all the videos and pictures will end up there over the next few days. :)

Whoa that crash sounds bad. Running into a cement barrier at 140kmph and bouncing around in a culvert for a bit is bound to mess with your day. I'm glad he's doing okay. From your description though it seriously sounds like he had a good run, all things considered. Here's hoping he makes a complication free recovery.

ummm also KLM: I'm a bit puzzled by the reference to the 'MRA group'. Did you mean ishraqw's channel? I signed up there but if you mean another channel / group: I'm lost. Got a link? Thanks.

Edited by Kavvz

Thanks for that mate. Man he gives it his all doesn’t he. Dedication that is! Hats off for most of these guys running these events with all the financial restrains these days and keeping the sport alive. I doubt half of them have proper sponsorship that covers costs.

so the "X" notched up its first major win then! :)

& DD maintains his perfect record!

excellent - a 1 & 3 AL finish :lol:

will you be at the Finish tomorrow? What time@the AMRC??

Thank you all for the wishes….. :)

This was my first real outing in the X with almost 80% of the car in its final race level.

I have to take back all what I said about the X earlier (meaning that the IX was way faster) coz now I realize definitely it is not so now. It was a case that not much people around the world knew how to set the car. We are still learning about the car and come next 5-6 months, the X would be at its peak and ready compete in full force :rolleyes:

This was my first real outing in the X with almost 80% of the car in its final race level.

I have to take back all what I said about the X earlier (meaning that the IX was way faster) coz now I realize definitely it is not so now. It was a case that not much people around the world knew how to set the car. We are still learning about the car and come next 5-6 months, the X would be at its peak and ready compete in full force :rolleyes:

Perhaps this is because Mitsubishi themselves has gone to great extent to prevent the car from being modified beyond its factory spec easily ?. I think the same is true with the new GTR.

Thats great news!

so i take it the new EMS is doing its job it setting more horses loose? :)

now when do we get to see the X out on tarmac?

Miniace, KKG will be held in June, but I can't remember the dates. It will be the second round of the 2009 MRA Rally Championship and as far as I can see, the only tarmac rally on this year's SLAS calendar.

Thanks for the info mate! So gravel testings done..now its tarmac time boys!

MINIACE