• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Korean Cars

Le Sabre

Just wanted to know everyones ideas on why some of the korean cars in srilanka like the Hyundai Sonata 2000-2002 models including the H-matic ones Hyundai Matrix and also the Hyundai Elantra 2000-2002 models and the Kia Optima 2001-2002 models are going at lower prices.

Is it due to their bad performance and higher spare parts prices or anyother reasons.

What are your opinions on these models.

What would be the going prices for the above mentioned cars currently in SL.

Edited by Le Sabre

Just wanted to know everyones ideas on why some of the korean cars in srilanka like the Hyundai Sonata 2000-2002 models including the H-matic ones Hyundai Matrix and also the Hyundai Elantra 2000-2002 models and the Kia Optima 2001-2002 models are going at lower prices.

Is it due to their bad performance and higher spare parts prices or anyother reasons.

What are your opinions on these models.

What would be the going prices for the above mentioned cars currently in SL.

Machan, there are so many threads and discussions about koreans in AL, you can use the 'search' and get them.

all most all the afore mentioned vehicles will sell for between 700k ~ 1.3 Mil i recon...

nothing concrete to go on , but the million mark for most would seem about right

Poor fuel consumption , transmission problems (Sonata's) , 2nd hand parts availability and general unfavourable view amoungst the general public are some of the factors which i believe have led to the low value of such Korean cars in thel ocal market :mellow:

yeah..i wouldnt reccomend any korean car made before 2004

but the second genenaration(santa fe,sportage,sonata,sorrento etc) one's are quite ok(i think)...milindu would be the best gut to ask this from

Gihan was a satisfied owner of an Accent before, I recall he was saying good about it.

Hyundai models are quite popular in other countries.

Looks like in SL the japanese makes have a good hold in the market.

I would say out of the Hyundai makes the Elantra is a better model.

Anyone has any experience with thei model.

Whats the going price for the Elantra and how are spares.

Poor fuel consumption , transmission problems (Sonata's) , 2nd hand parts availability and general unfavourable view amoungst the general public are some of the factors which i believe have led to the low value of such Korean cars in thel ocal market :mellow:

i think this is the main culprit. just like what happened to the P12. our ignorance ruined the reputation of that car.

we sri lankans need to realize that we can't have it all. people want english numbered cars with fuel figures of 121 for a price under 2mill. that is simply asking too much. if you want good fuel economy spend 3 mil and get yourself a 121 if you don't mind an older car with a numeric number plate (which is soon becoming a rare specie in colombo) go get a 110.

IMO Hyundai’s are good value for the price you pay. Yes sonata's are known to have transmission issues (i've never come across one to be honest, davinda what exactly is the issue????) and Matrix is a fuel guzzler (i've heard its very easy to perform a diesel conversion on these) but accents and elantras are good cars for daily use. Don’t worry about parts there are one too many spare parts importers in this country.

my advice is take the full advantage of the situation, you can get hold of a 'decent' car for a 'very reasonable' price (those two words hardly fits in a single sentence these days) only drawback been when it comes to re-selling, it wont be easy to get rid of it compared to a Japanese make. but this too depends on your asking price.

the second genenaration(santa fe,sportage,sonata,sorrento etc) one's are quite ok(i think)...milindu would be the best gut to ask this from

yup i can second that. consumption figures specially in the diesel variants are simply amazing. only problem is these vehicles are no longer economical (price wise i mean)

Hyundai models are quite popular in other countries.

Looks like in SL the japanese makes have a good hold in the market.

I would say out of the Hyundai makes the Elantra is a better model.

Anyone has any experience with thei model.

Whats the going price for the Elantra and how are spares.

The Korean cars of the previous generation got a bad rap mostly due to the majority of cars coming after high fleet usage in Singapore and Malaysia with the mileage adjusted 20's and 30's. The build quality of these cars werent up to Jap anyway.

As Le Sabre noted and through feed back from a lot of fleet operators, the Elentra seems to be the best of the lot. The Indian built Accents are also pretty solid.

The larger cars including the Sonatas suffer from horrible fuel consumption (becomes worse when sensors weaken - and most of our chaps don't know how to detect or fix). The H Matics also suffer from a lot of electrical glitches which can become a pain.

All these cars will be quite cheap to buy but at the sametime, not easy to sell.

On the plus side, you get a newish, good looking and fairly comfortable car for what you pay. As long as you don't mind holding on to it for awhile, you running is minimal and you find a well maintained car (pref. a B.New import or Indian model) the purchase might make sense to some extent.

These days, Toyota 2C diesel engine conversions are all the rage with the Trajets and Sonatas (It fits in perfectly apparently). One of my friends who did a conversion a few months ago was quite happy with it.

I own an automatic 2005 Tucson 2.0L. It does between 7-8 km/l in Colombo. All depends on the way you drive. Also I have had no issues with it so far (touch gold). :rolleyes: I am very happy with her.

I see that people talk about transmission problems. All I can say is that my Tucson auto box needs a specific type of fluid called "SP III". This is the ONLY recommended fluid by the manufacturer. If you don't use this, your box will give you trouble in the long run. Unfortunately the agent does not have this fluid, they use Caltex. So there you go.

Yes sonata's are known to have transmission issues (i've never come across one to be honest, davinda what exactly is the issue????)

i've heard that the automatic gear boxes (H Matic in particular) suddenly give up the ghost! :(

happened to one of my uncles friends sometime back and replacing the box was a costly affair

it might well have to do with improper servicing or use (or lack thereof) of the suitable oil as MAS pointed out :unsunre:

I think it's unfair to put all Korean cars in the same boat. Sure some of them might have issues. But as pointed above it could be due to lack of knowledge when it comes to maintenance.

Let's not forget that some Japanese cars have earned similar reputation when it comes to CVT boxes, due to wrong oil used etc.

Then there's the Mazda BG5 where the auto boxes are fragile things and I've learned this personally the hard way.

When it comes to big cars I'm afraid Koreans won't do well in holding their value and being desirable. For that matter many Jap cars don't do well either. Cefiros and Mazda 626s for example. And for that matter non-premium Euro stuff like Peugeit 605s and Opel Omegas for example.

However as xXx points out if the price is right and the car is in great shape why not save some bucks over a Japanese one?

The new Korean stuff however are on par with Japanese and in some instances are closer to European cars. I recently drove the latest Kia Cerato and was surprised. The only areas in which they lag behind now I think is engine tech and interior quality.

The new Korean stuff however are on par with Japanese and in some instances are closer to European cars. I recently drove the latest Kia Cerato and was surprised. The only areas in which they lag behind now I think is engine tech and interior quality.

they're catching up in the design stakes as well with decent mainstream models like the Cee'd

I think it's unfair to put all Korean cars in the same boat. Sure some of them might have issues. But as pointed above it could be due to lack of knowledge when it comes to maintenance.

Let's not forget that some Japanese cars have earned similar reputation when it comes to CVT boxes, due to wrong oil used etc.

Then there's the Mazda BG5 where the auto boxes are fragile things and I've learned this personally the hard way.

When it comes to big cars I'm afraid Koreans won't do well in holding their value and being desirable. For that matter many Jap cars don't do well either. Cefiros and Mazda 626s for example. And for that matter non-premium Euro stuff like Peugeit 605s and Opel Omegas for example.

However as xXx points out if the price is right and the car is in great shape why not save some bucks over a Japanese one?

The new Korean stuff however are on par with Japanese and in some instances are closer to European cars. I recently drove the latest Kia Cerato and was surprised

& as of late this whole Toyota engine sludge issue!

its about time something went wrong with one of those drab things!

...rub the smile off the face of em smug toyota owners! :lol:

(now now don't flame me - just kidding , possibly )