• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

New Drivers Licence

Le Sabre

Hi-tech DL will meet international standards – Motor Traffic chiefby Narada Nissanka

A technologically advanced driving licence scheduled to be introduced for the first time in Sri Lanka would have international recognition, Motor Traffic Commissioner General B. Wijayaratne said.

The new license would be made available with effect from 26 of this month, he said.

He said the use of cutting edge technology would eradicate the problem of forgery.

For the purpose of providing new licences, the Motor Traffic office in Verahera had been selected and the office premises were being renovated and repaired at present, he said.

The Driving License Card will be laser engraved and have high-tech security features such as optically variable ink, holograms, guilloches and micro printing. All information stored on the on-board chip will also be encrypted with the latest encryption technology. A streamlined computerized driving license management system will be implemented so that applicants can obtain the driving licenses with ease.

All bio metric information such the photograph, digital signature and fingerprints will be captured directly when the application is submitted.

good move but i wonder how long it will take for some one to start forging these new cards... or how long before the machine breaks down and everyone gets to wait for a good year to get there DL

on the other hand does anyone know how this is going to imapact the existing DL.. are we required to change or can we keep our existing license?

The problem with our license is not the quality of the paper it is printed on, but the quality of the testing process which issues the license.

As a result very few countries offer to exchange our licenses for a local license. in fact I can't think of any !

For our licenses to come to international standard it is that which needs to change not the design or the lay out of the card !

Sounds about right. My second one is now fading too. Chaaa, considering I only got the first card in 2000! 4-5 year shelf life?

I think the fading problem only with the cards which have been issued north of 2000. I got mine on 1998 and still the image and the letters are sharp as new. Also I have been keeping the DL card in my wallet since the day I got it. (even when I am abroad)

I also clean all my cards and the wallet with baby cologne and cloth once in a while. Still the DL looks sharp.

What happens to the high tech chip if you get it wet?

Nothing. Its probably based on the same technology that's in use on newer bank cards and phone SIM cards. Water, dust and magnetic fields don't really affect that type of card / data storage much. It however isn't as resistant to bending or heat as the older magnetic stripe cards were.

Edited by Kavvz

The problem with our license is not the quality of the paper it is printed on, but the quality of the testing process which issues the license.

As a result very few countries offer to exchange our licenses for a local license. in fact I can't think of any !

For our licenses to come to international standard it is that which needs to change not the design or the lay out of the card !

I don't know about England but in the USA they will allow you to drive with a valid LK license for upto 1 year. If you plan to stay longer you can face a short test and get a US license in exchange for your one. There is no distinction of country. Everyone has to go through the same process.

I don't know about England but in the USA they will allow you to drive with a valid LK license for upto 1 year.

It was the same in the UK too few years back. I personally did.

But after one year you must get the Full UK DL.

There is no exchange or any Exemption with Sri Lanka DL.

Must get the DL as usual process as getting Provisional Licence first, theory test and practical.