• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Took My Car To The Agent The Other Day...

Saturn

So I took my car to the agent the other day. I knew what the problem was. They listened to me, told me to have a seat, and gave the car a tuneup, and gave it back. I gently reminded them that this wasn't going to fix the problem.

They told me not to worry, and to come back if theres a problem again.

So, the next day, I drove back, explained the problem again, what was causing it, and what I wanted them to do.

They parked the car in their service bay and this is when things got a bit odd.

The problem deals with power loss at higher RPMs. The chief technician decided that it isn't really power loss at high RPMs, so he put the handbreak on, reved my car to around 4000, and engaged the clutch a few times. Basically, each time he did this, the engine obviously stalled after a lot of stress.

Having smoked my clutch, the cheif technician informed me that my clutch doesnt seem very strong. I was about to point out that a) I was aware of this, and B) it was doing OK until he kinda decided to smoke it but decided to let that slide.

Anyhoo, the technician confirmed my original diagnosis, and solution (nothing to do with the clutch). but now my poor clutch is a bit on the weak side :(

Oh, as for the necessary repair? Well they said they don't have parts, to drop the car there and they will call me when they find the part (they need to remove it and find a recond equivalent).

Sigh.. gotta love this country.

Edited by Saturn

So I took my car to the agent the other day. I knew what the problem was. They listened to me, told me to have a seat, and gave the car a tuneup, and gave it back. I gently reminded them that this wasn't going to fix the problem.

They told me not to worry, and to come back if theres a problem again.

So, the next day, I drove back, explained the problem again, what was causing it, and what I wanted them to do.

They parked the car in their service bay and this is when things got a bit odd.

The problem deals with power loss at higher RPMs. The chief technician decided that it isn't really power loss at high RPMs, so he put the handbreak on, reved my car to around 4000, and engaged the clutch a few times. Basically, each time he did this, the engine obviously stalled after a lot of stress.

Having smoked my clutch, the cheif technician informed me that my clutch doesnt seem very strong. I was about to point out that a) I was aware of this, and B) it was doing OK until he kinda decided to smoke it but decided to let that slide.

Anyhoo, the technician confirmed my original diagnosis, and solution (nothing to do with the clutch). but now my poor clutch is a bit on the weak side :)

Oh, as for the necessary repair? Well they said they don't have parts, to drop the car there and they will call me when they find the part (they need to remove it and find a recond equivalent).

Sigh.. gotta love this country.

what's the car machang? :P

so to rule out the problem of a clutch, he actually ruined the good one? WTF? That is def. not the way to check a clutch; its easy as just driving it around and flooring it in first gear and looking for slippage rather than trying to stall the engine ... dude doesn't know what he's doing, take it elsewhere and complain about the abuse to your clutch.

so to rule out the problem of a clutch, he actually ruined the good one? WTF?

You know, you've actually stumbled upon this nations method of problem solving. 1. Decide a random cause for the problem. 2. Create a new problem. 3. Fix new problem. Then, if someone complains, hey we fixed a problem. OK true we caused it but that's just a technicality.

Actually I was annoyed a little but now I'm amused. Life in Sri Lanka is kinda funny if you look at it from a distance. Actually living here, not so much, It's an acquired taste. Like genital warts, it grows on you. But I've grown to appreciate the humor in day to day existence. The good news is they weren't successful in killing my car totally and its still alive.

Edited by Saturn

Join the club! Its a pity that most mechanics try to fool their customers (most of the time fay fail, but the customers stay silent, because they got few other options to go to). Too bad the agents are doing the same.

Not a repair goes by without my regretting, not joining the German Tech motor mechanic's course after the A/Ls :mellow:

Join the club! Its a pity that most mechanics try to fool their customers (most of the time fay fail, but the customers stay silent, because they got few other options to go to). Too bad the agents are doing the same.

Not a repair goes by without my regretting, not joining the German Tech motor mechanic's course after the A/Ls :mellow:

atleast we have some vague idea on what's wrong with our cars machang.....i feel sorry for the poor bastards who know nothing about cars,and gets taken for a ride everytime they go to the mechanic...

hmmm...that's strange...cos i only have good things to say about unimo and their service....oh well,hard luck machang! :(

seriously? :o

the last time i went there to sort something out i recall heading out of there a very very disgruntled customer!

:angry-smiley-024:

my driver who's had to go there all by himself there after has stories to tell as well - none of them good

<_<

I'm not in the least bit suprised by what Saturn reports

the last time i went there to sort something out i recall heading out of there a very very disgruntled customer!

my driver who's had to go there all by himself there after has stories to tell as well - none of them good

<_<

well machang...we ocassionally send the canter or the strada there...so far i have no complaints...it's not perfect but it's satisfactory(to me)...maybe i've been really lucky :)

i cant belive we tolerate these things.. i guess i agree with saturn it is amusing.... havent u ever noticed specially when u go to a shop they act like we are bothering them.. i know its OT, but thats the truth.. same in car places.. now when ever i get freindly service i have this amused face on and the custoimer service people get weirded out...

<_<

this is exactly what i heard about the mitsu agents from friends who "used" to own them...

for some people...lousy agents were one of the reasons to get rid of their rides...

So far i had good experience with Toyota Agents. at least they notify me how much it cost before repair. sometimes you can go inside their facility and point out which the problem is. :)

Also A*W, very good.

As far as I've heard Unimo services are not good for Mitsu car services.

So far i had good experience with Toyota Agents. at least they notify me how much it cost before repair. sometimes you can go inside their facility and point out which the problem is. :)

hmmm...i have sorta mixed views on them..

took the car there when i busted the ECU... they said once that's replaced all is well...

replaced it with a recon unit but the car will not fire up... Mind you this is also after the lead tech insisting the ECU i got was wrong since though it matched the engine no. it was for an auto where my car is a manual. I insisted that it should work cos my original ECU was both for 3 point auto and full manual tranny

after some more checking we found out that power is not going to the sparks though the ECU seems to be ok

apparently the Delco was busted...

so got that also and fixed it and all was ok...except that somehow they had opened the engine oil cap and forgot to close it... :action-smiley-060:

when i drove home and parked it...there was oil dripping from the front...

luckily toyota is barely 2kms away so there was still enough oil in the motor... and also the cap had got stuck in the engine bay and not fallen off...

So...in my experience they too are not that great...

if they were... the oil cap shouldn't have happened... and also they should have diagnosed the delco issue earlier...

admittedly i haven't had any issues since then :)

It's a little annoying when you know the problem and they just dont bother listening. Applies to all garages here I guess, not just these guys

I'm not saying they have to take my word on it but it would help if they could at least use my comments as a starting point. It would save time for them at least.

Edited by Saturn

i find the work carried out by most of the agents not to be in par with the absurd amounts they charge (and that's coming from personnel experience). only good thing about going to the agent is the ability to carry out diagnosis using the computer thingy. don't even get me started on the spare parts. try to source a wind screen or an electronic sensor. they never got them in stock. if you are in a hurry you are done for.

i find the work carried out by most of the agents not to be in par with the absurd amounts they charge (and that's coming from personnel experience). only good thing about going to the agent is the ability to carry out diagnosis using the computer thingy. don't even get me started on the spare parts. try to source a wind screen or an electronic sensor. they never got them in stock. if you are in a hurry you are done for.

i know i've been extolling the virtues of A*W for sometime now , but they're streets ahead of most of the other agents me thinks, or at least the ones i've dealt with

Colonial will match them for technical knowhow when it comes to their product(vehicles), service etc , but never ever for value for money sadly :(

the one time i was in a hurry and needed a part that wasn't available , upon making their best efforts to source it from anyone else who might have the part in the open, they had the relavent components turned out for me locally and replaced,all within a day & a half!

(&no it didn't cost the sun moon & the stars! :D )

needless to say i'm a very happy camper! :)

• 2 weeks later...
i know i've been extolling the virtues of A*W for sometime now , but they're streets ahead of most of the other agents me thinks, or at least the ones i've dealt with

Colonial will match them for technical knowhow when it comes to their product(vehicles), service etc , but never ever for value for money sadly :(

the one time i was in a hurry and needed a part that wasn't available , upon making their best efforts to source it from anyone else who might have the part in the open, they had the relavent components turned out for me locally and replaced,all within a day & a half!

(&no it didn't cost the sun moon & the stars! :D )

needless to say i'm a very happy camper! :)

all said and done they did make a massive cock up out of the P12 CVT issue. P12 auto boxes were in such a demand back in 2003/04 i even looked at possibilities of bringing them from a country other than Japan.

i do agree guys at A*W know their stuff. i use the services of one of their chief mechanics to look at my cars (none nissan's) from time to time.