• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Alloy Wheel Repair / Purchase

Prashanweera

Hi,

One of my car’s alloy wheels was damaged. Basically there is no crack but it is out of shape. I have 2 questions regarding this.

1. Is it a good idea to try to repair this wheel? Could it affect the balancing of the wheels?

2. If it is OK to repair, could you kindly let me know the location to repair?

3. Is it possible to buy a single alloy wheel? From where?

Thank you.

Prashan.

Hi,

One of my car’s alloy wheels was damaged. Basically there is no crack but it is out of shape. I have 2 questions regarding this.

1. Is it a good idea to try to repair this wheel? Could it affect the balancing of the wheels?

Thank you.

Prashan.

a prowl around alahakoon watte in panchikawatte might be worth your while,those guys are aces with alloy wheel repairing,my go to guy for alloywheels there is a chap called rohan.,i dont have any contact number of him but he is a well known guy around there

i dont know how it'll effect balancing...but i've always repaired my damaged ones,as opposed to buying new one's,good luck!

as far as i know if you've mangled your wheels you've had it. you can't get them back to their original balanced state ever. cos it'll probably resurface at high speeds.

i beg to differ...my dad has repaired alloys that were considerably bent out of shape...even ones belonging to some high performance cars and some for heavy duty lorries...and so far only one steel wheel(belonging to a lorry) has failed us...

i beg to differ...my dad has repaired alloys that were considerably bent out of shape...even ones belonging to some high performance cars and some for heavy duty lorries...and so far only one steel wheel(belonging to a lorry) has failed us...

I cant really think of an engineering solution for an out of balance wheel. are you familiar with the methods they use to straighten them out? I'm still not convinced that these wheels will not start wobbling at a certain speed.

please correct me if i'm wrong. i'm guessing our gurus have a few tricks up their sleeve.

I cant really think of an engineering solution for an out of balance wheel. are you familiar with the methods they use to straighten them out? I'm still not convinced that these wheels will not start wobbling at a certain speed.

please correct me if i'm wrong. i'm guessing our gurus have a few tricks up their sleeve.

yes, the degree of damage inflicted upon the wheel and how it was inflicted will be a deciding factor if it is repairable or not,but i've had the most out of shape alloy/steel wheel repaired because it passed a few simple rules

it will start to wobble if done incorrectly or by an incompetent..that is why i recomended someone i know to the gentlemen affected...repairing is the most trivial things these guys do as i have had them make a new wheel out of the parts of three other wheels,and they are perfect!

i agree that it is not a 100% after the repairs,but it is satisfactory to me...they may not fit the standards of your perfect little world,but you will forgive me for showing a fellow car owner the cheaper way out...atleast untill he can afford to buy a new set :)

yes, the degree of damage inflicted upon the wheel and how it was inflicted will be a deciding factor if it is repairable or not,but i've had the most out of shape alloy/steel wheel repaired because it passed a few simple rules

it will start to wobble if done incorrectly or by an incompetent..that is why i recomended someone i know to the gentlemen affected...repairing is the most trivial things these guys do as i have had them make a new wheel out of the parts of three other wheels,and they are perfect!

i agree that it is not a 100% after the repairs,but it is satisfactory to me...they may not fit the standards of your perfect little world,but you will forgive me for showing a fellow car owner the cheaper way out...atleast untill he can afford to buy a new set :)

actually my point was its impossible to get the sleeves and the hub back to their balanced position. but i guess tiny dents on the sleeve can be repaired without much problem.

anyways if they can do it and thats the most feasible solution go for it. i'm just being a little nerdy here thats all :)

Hi,

Thank you.

Prashan.

U&H in Malay Street repaired a badly bent Minilite for us some time back - even proved it on the wheel balancing machine. The wheel is still in use with no problems at all.

actually my point was its impossible to get the sleeves and the hub back to their balanced position. but i guess tiny dents on the sleeve can be repaired without much problem.

anyways if they can do it and thats the most feasible solution go for it. i'm just being a little nerdy here thats all :)

I Guess you are correct and the wheel maybe slightly out of balance, and will wobble. But if it is balanced properly with the weights after fixing the tyre I think it should be ok. And even at high speeds ( Not extreemly high) there should be no wobble as there is no change in the structure after its fixed.

Even if we get a brand new set of Alloys & new tyres it will still be out of balance and need weights to correct it...

Think Macro Auto tec in Nawala does a good job.

Macro Tech in Nawala Junction also does the same- if the damage is marginal. They heat up the rim and put it back in shape...not exactly the most desirable sight to see, but that is how it is done in most places.

Note that torn, sharded rims cannot be done.