• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Facination With Fuel Consumption

pradfred

Question

Hi,

I had to get this off my chest.

I was out in my old Landrover, and stopped to buy the newspapers. Two guys walk up to me, look at the jeep.

Then see the number plate - 4 Shri . Raise eyebrows. look at each other. Look at me.

Now I was expecting them to admire the originality of the vehicle, etc etc but NO.

What is the question ? How much does it do on fuel !!!!??? :angry-smiley-024:

What the &*((*&^ is wrong with people nowadays? Is that all that matters ? then they should all sell those stupid cars which only do 10 - 14 KMPL and buy one of those motorised scooty things. I used one in London and its fantastic. Get off the tube , pop your scooty onto the pavement and scoot to office with the laptop bag banging onto your back. Ahh joy.

Needless to say those two did not get an answer to their question. The same thing happens during the CCC Sunday runs. Instead of admiring the cars people ask about their fuel consumption. Now I aint a millionaire and I do understand the recession dynamics, BUT

Now those of you who want to have cars that do well on fuel, good for you, but leave the rest of us , who value things which matter more in ones life ,alone !

If I need to save money I will park the car and take public transport or hitch a ride with a friend .

I suggest we all get togther and come up with a nice slogan which we can use on the philestines?

Maybe even do a nice bumper sticker ? lol? :rolleyes:

What sayest the forum? Also share similar experiences..

24 answers to this question

ai ai ya...the issues you have mate :lol::) :)

btw...i'm an ardent fan of your LR... :)

not that i would want to ever use something like that as a daily driver...which is where the fuel figures etc seems to be ruling the game...

sorta remember you too looking for a "family hack" or summin like that does good on fuel...

I suppose all those who ask you about numbers are thinking from a "daily driving" POV

ai ai ya...the issues you have mate :lol::) :)

I suppose all those who ask you about numbers are thinking from a "daily driving" POV

Ha ha yeah Ripp,

Yes I agree everyone looks at it from a daily driver POV, but that still does not explain why they cannot appreciate that others may NOT ?

I am sure Devinda too would have guys who want to buy the Z but then ask how much it does on fuel?

I saw a Merc 500 SEL advertised and also saw the Indian HC latest Merc 600 SEL in Nuwara Eliya .........so the anser there would be " official vehicle" I s pose?

I am sure there will be others who can debate this....... :rolleyes:

Family Hack : yup thats why I said it needs four doors. Fuel is not the main factor - but family's safety is.

I live by my two main mottos or credos

1) 18 Till I die ( Bryan Adams)

2) Don't take life too seriously , its not like we gonna get out of it alive !.

cheers

Edited by pradfred

no wonder maruti sales have jacked up in the recent past..you cant really blame the people when a Litre of gasoline is almost equal to a Gallon ova here. Fuel efficiency has carved so deep into people's brains they prolly talk abt it when taking a dump too. But hey, they should hav appreciated the value of your LR instead of nagging about FE. btw those chicken sandwiches at CCC are amazing. :rolleyes:

yep i get asked that a lot(specially when i'm with the classics)...latest victim was the magnette.

"meka petrol bonawa athi neda?"....to which i reply "ow ow hondata bonawa" :lol: ...that usually shuts them up

anyways pradfred what other cars do you have other than the autozam and the LR in your collection?... will understand if you do not want to reveal :)

people who talk to me on the side of the road almost always ask me what the engine capacity of my car is. usually ends up with raised eyebrows and followed by the question helrazor mentioned. according to them hatchbacks are supposed to have 1000cc engines and they don't understand the concept of achieving good figures even with bigger engines. not to mention most people's idea of a good fuel consumption figure is 10 km/l <_<

Ha ha yeah Ripp,

Yes I agree everyone looks at it from a daily driver POV, but that still does not explain why they cannot appreciate that others may NOT ?

I am sure Devinda too would have guys who want to buy the Z but then ask how much it does on fuel?

I saw a Merc 500 SEL advertised and also saw the Indian HC latest Merc 600 SEL in Nuwara Eliya .........so the anser there would be " official vehicle" I s pose?

I am sure there will be others who can debate this....... :rolleyes:

Family Hack : yup thats why I said it needs four doors. Fuel is not the main factor - but family's safety is.

I live by my two main mottos or credos

1) 18 Till I die ( Bryan Adams)

2) Don't take life too seriously , its not like we gonna get out of it alive !.

cheers

:lol: ditto that Pradfred

its just a standard question - no one bothers asking how much its putting down or how long it takes to hit 60 :mellow:

using it as a daily driver now i get asked that question everyday :(

anyways pradfred what other cars do you have other than the autozam and the LR in your collection?... will understand if you do not want to reveal :)

Ha ha nothing - compared to the real collectors mate.

In addition to that, I only have the Cefiro A33, and the Fiat 124 BC coupe which I am trying to restore.

Oh yeah and a 70 cc Chally ( had to get a bike after the CBR lol) Hopefully I will be able to find a bigger bike soon......

Also looking out for a rear wheel drive sports car of the older generation but not right now....will get moidered !!

cheers

:lol: ditto that Pradfred

its just a standard question - no one bothers asking how much its putting down or how long it takes to hit 60 :mellow:

using it as a daily driver now i get asked that question everyday :(

Yeah real sad.

BTW any suggestions on the Bumper sticker quote ?

C'mon guys get those creative juices flowin.....

ripper is the best guy for this,as he works for some ad firm....

i believe he does group head :P:lol:

Lol,

and he fishes too!

Am surprised there havent been more comments on this leading comment he he he

ripper is the best guy for this,as he works for some ad firm....

i believe he does group head :P:lol:

Lol,

and he fishes too!

Am surprised there havent been more comments on this leading comment he he he

I don't even wanna go there ... :rolleyes:

yep i get asked that a lot(specially when i'm with the classics)...latest victim was the magnette.

"meka petrol bonawa athi neda?"....to which i reply "ow ow hondata bonawa" :lol: ...that usually shuts them up

:lol: That be a good one machang.....must try that out if I'm ever asked that he he he............

And Pradfred, just to add my frustration to yours, I think most buggers out there want a bloody Toyota Corolla but are lookin to buy something else. (Madz no offence to you :D )

Been trying to sell ma mazda now for several weeks, and the first question I got from mnost callers was....keeyak withara karanawada?

I understand the current situ an all but 9kmpl isn't bad for a city run is it? Like I said corolla nuts buying other stuff....*sigh*

:lol: That be a good one machang.....must try that out if I'm ever asked that he he he............

And Pradfred, just to add my frustration to yours, I think most buggers out there want a bloody Toyota Corolla but are lookin to buy something else. (Madz no offence to you :D )

Been trying to sell ma mazda now for several weeks, and the first question I got from mnost callers was....keeyak withara karanawada?

I understand the current situ an all but 9kmpl isn't bad for a city run is it? Like I said corolla nuts buying other stuff....*sigh*

LOl.

mate I agree.

don't get me wrong I admire the Corolla. (there I actually said it) .

For a guy / person who wants to get from A to B and not ever look under the bonnet nor worry about "the all important and life *& wife threatening" Re Sale value in our blessed country the Corolla is perfecto.

I had a Brand new 121 G Grade specially imported for us, and it was a nice Family car ( I drove it about 3 times totally) it had space, and since it was a 1.8 litre went ok too. But oh god the anonymity was too much.

driver loved it . Never checked water / oil / air pressure or even the brake oils .......till I kicked him up da backside.....

Sold it in a day too.

Its like they say on the great cars on TOP Gear , about the beetle= it just existed in large numbers.......

9 KMPl is very good for a car in the city in my opnion but try saying that to a potential buyer. he wants a car for 1 million, in concours condition, with full service history , with enough space and pace to take him , his family and his in laws anywhere including jeep tracks and he wants it to do at least 12 KMPl.

AND it must also look "posh " netha ? or else how will he get the respect ???

YES I GULP, BETTER THAN EATING DUST <_<

good one!

haha...not if you are intending to sell your ride anytime soon mate....lie through your teeth!!! :lol:

seriously,because most of the buyers i've come across,readilly accept the fuel consumption figure given by the owner,no matter how outrageous it is :blink:

Its like they say on the great cars on TOP Gear , about the beetle= it just existed in large numbers.......

imho the beetle has something else going for it besides the large numbers mate,unlike the jap cars...some may call it "soul" or "personality" .....GTAm or supra_natural can explain this better than me :)

haha...not if you are intending to sell your ride anytime soon mate....lie through your teeth!!! :lol:

seriously,because most of the buyers i've come across,readilly accept the fuel consumption figure given by the owner,no matter how outrageous it is :blink:

Awright, from here on in, mine does 15!

Peri Dont under estimate your figures .

i did a cruising run to kurunegala ( off kurunegala and some interior runnning as well ) and back around ( 2 revs), 13.8km/ltr )

i was so thrilled to see where the fuel gauge was when i reached colombo , so went to laughs fuel station in kohuwala , the result was 21 lts for 290 km's .

not bad for a Vz-R isn't it ???( actually this the 1st time i got this figure and this is the first time i drove with patiance out of colombo :jumping-smiley-013: )

i'm sure if i drive the same way to anuraddhapura and back i will hit 15. LOL

Edited by MRM

Peri Dont under estimate your figures .

i did a cruising run to kurunegala ( off kurunegala and some interior runnning as well ) and back around ( 2 revs), 13.8km/ltr )

i was so thrilled to see where the fuel gauge was when i reached colombo , so went to laughs fuel station in kohuwala , the result was 21 lts for 290 km's .

not bad for a Vz-R isn't it ???( actually this the 1st time i got this figure and this is the first time i drove with patiance out of colombo :jumping-smiley-013: )

i'm sure if i drive the same way to anuraddhapura and back i will hit 15. LOL

I have high lift cams and 4 more injectors then the standard VZ-R dude :)

9 KMPl is very good for a car in the city in my opnion but try saying that to a potential buyer. he wants a car for 1 million, in concours condition, with full service history , with enough space and pace to take him , his family and his in laws anywhere including jeep tracks and he wants it to do at least 12 KMPl.

AND it must also look "posh " netha ? or else how will he get the respect ???

So so true my friend, ................. Of course selling my Charade a while back, even with super fuel figures wasn't easy.

Its all in the name. Of course it's irellevant if the car is partly toyota starlet (This was a G200S).............Its a Daihatsu...Oh Horrors, was the majority response.

Helraizor machang, wasn't planning on using your quip to sell my car man....lol proly when I get another............

that's the spirit :lol:

I have high lift cams and 4 more injectors then the standard VZ-R dude :)

ahhh...your's is a N1 then...respect!

Helraizor machang, wasn't planning on using your quip to sell my car man....lol proly when I get another............

i know dude...was only joking