• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Rpm Problem

thara123

Question

Hi,

I have a toyota carina AT192 car with auto transmission.

The problem is when I start the car and keep idling without putting the A/C, RPM value is 1200 RPM (its one + 1 unit). This is when the car is in "N" or "P" gear positions. I checked with a guarage. First they just turned a screw which is connected right at the end of the accelerator cable. but it was not done. They are saying that first tunning up the car and it might solve the problem. If the problem is still there, I have to replace this item (i dont know its an electronic gadget and its name) which is under the end of the accelerator cable (white color one).

Can somebody tell me wht is the correct way to solve this issue?. And If I have to replace that gadjet, what is the price of it and the name?

I dont know these details are enough for solving this.

thanks

Edited by thara123

9 answers to this question

Hi,

I have a toyota carina AT192 car with auto transmission.

The problem is when I start the car and keep idling without putting the A/C, RPM value is 1200 RPM (its one + 1 unit). This is when the car is in "N" or "P" gear positions. I checked with a guarage. First they just turned a screw which is connected right at the end of the accelerator cable. but it was not done. They are saying that first tunning up the car and it might solve the problem. If the problem is still there, I have to replace this item (i dont know its an electronic gadget and its name) which is under the end of the accelerator cable (white color one).

Can somebody tell me wht is the correct way to solve this issue?. And If I have to replace that gadjet, what is the price of it and the name?

I dont know these details are enough for solving this.

thanks

First of all if this is happening at Cold start then it's normal and it should return to it's normal RPM values which is around 800~850 when the engine reaches to its normal operating temperature.

Secondly, i think your talking about the ICV (Idle Control Valve). mechs were right in EFI engines Idle speed is controlled by the ICV. and this is connected to the TPS (Throttle positioning sensor) which is connected to the ECU. you need to tune your engine first at a reputable place and see how's it going.

Hey guys,

First I thank both of you very much for the reply.

This happened only at cold start, as I said earlier its 1200 RPM.

When It comes to its normal operating temperature, when the gear position 'P' its 750 RPM. and when the gear position 'D' its 600 RPM. These two values were not changed both with and without A/C, even with the High A/C. But I felt A/C is bit low in a few days. Guys, Can You tell me what I should do next? Still I didn't go for a tune. Thanks a lot again.

Edited by thara123

well mate sounds like you don't have a problem with your throttle

as Ruslan pointed out, it is normal to have a bit high revs at cold start untill the engine warms up to normal operating temp, but perhaps 1200RPM is a bit high? not sure

and it is also normal to get a dip in rev when 'D' is engaged

as for the A/C, suggest you get the gas (refridgerant) checked before anything else

Thanks guys for the reply.

Other thing is I feel a bit high vibration in side the car. And If this 1200 RPM is high in cold start, what should I do?

Cleaning of throttle body MAF and Engine Tuneup would help i guess. :rolleyes:

Edited by Ruslan

Thanks.

Guys, Will this low RPM like 600 and 750 lead this vibration problem? When I went to the garage, Mechs just turned a screw which is connected right at the end of the accelerator cable and tried to reduce the RPM in the cold start. This caused to reduce RPM?