• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Law Delayed

Le Sabre

The implementation of the seat belt law has been delayed by around two months to give time to users of older vehicles which do not have the facility to get them fitted, Transport Minister Dullas Alahapperuma told the Sunday Times.

He said the Government has made all arrangements to implement the law, in keeping with safety standards, but there has been some discussion on how to implement the law without causing inconvenience to owners of older vehicles which do not have seat belts.

He said a gazette notification specifying the implementation of the law would be issued within the next two months and thereafter the police will be able to go ahead to enforce the law.

Mr. Alahapperuma said that except in some small countries seat belt laws are being implemented worldwide and therefore Sri Lanka too is working towards implementing the law which would provide improved safety to the driver and the passengers.

“We are requesting that those vehicles which do not have seat belts be fitted with them before the law is implemented,” he said.

He said that police could use the next two months to educate the public on the wearing of the seat belts.

Under the law fines between Rs. 1,000 and Rs. 2,000 could be imposed for the first offence, Rs. 2,000 to Rs. 3,000 for the second offence and between Rs. 3,000 and Rs. 4,000 for the third offence.

i think this is a good opportunity to get ourselves and our stubborn female companions "trained" to buckle up as soon as they get in the car :)

couple of things i want to figure out. do rear seat passengers have to buckle up as well? if so a car cant carry more passengers than the number of seatbelts its got rite? so no more overloading on you mpvs and 4x4s i guess :angry:

the funny thing is it took them this long to realize that they should have some sort of a grace period to allow people to prepare for this new law. since these policy makers travel in super luxury vehicles maybe they thought every single car owner in sri lanka has a equally similar ride at their disposal.

in my view they should also carry out public awareness campaigns to advice people about the newly implemented law and the advantages of wearing seat belts. but i guess the public media is busy slinging mud at the position politicians and boasting about war victories.

Better late than never I say

However what about 3 wheel drivers, and public transport- If you listen/watch the news most accidents are caused by busses been the main culprit and a motor bike /3 wheeler or a car been hit.

VANS- should all seats have seatbelts ??

Like another member said – Should the rear passengers use belts ???

Wonder if the police are going to educate the common citizens

What about having kids with you in the front seat ( even in the fathers lap whilst driving :angry-smiley-002: )

all in all, a seatbelt law is good, BUT;

has the entity responsible for implementing this law issued any notification to the general public yet advising:

a) that such a law is going to be enforced

'B) from when?

c) to which vehicles it applies

d) to which occupants it applies

e) what will be the regulatory requirements in terms of specifications of belts

f) etc

g) etc

Edited by HardHat

I guess the law will apply to all vehicles.

The 3 wheelers and busses might get away with it but iam sure it will be implemented for all other vehicles.

Not sure if the passengers in the back seat also will have to put on the seat belt.

I guess thats why they decided to delay the law and hope the cops give us all the related info to us drivers before the law goes into use.

i think this is a good opportunity to get ourselves and our stubborn female companions "trained" to buckle up as soon as they get in the car :)

ironically it was one of these females that made me wear seatbelts a year or so back. And of course continued doing so with the intention of impressing her ;)

I guess thats why they decided to delay the law and hope the cops give us all the related info to us drivers before the law goes into use.
this is to add to the "other" laws that they create on the spot? Or the laws that they don't even know that exist?