• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Modifying Maruti 800 & Alto

Ek3

if someday u decided to bring your 2 fastest vehicles to GP let us know ;)

no need...cos unlike some i dont need to modify mine to make it fast

here are the stats from wiki...as you can see there is nothing on four wheels in sl that could even think of matching up to me..

ZX10r...Tier 2

Performance

0-60mph = 2.90

0-100mph = 5.50

0-130mph = 8.00

0-150mph = 11.00

0-170mph = 15.50

0-180mph = 17.2

Specifications

Engine Type: 4-Stroke, 4-Cylinder, Liquid-Cooled, DOHC, 4 Valve Cylinder Head

Displacement: 998 cc

Bore & Stroke 76.0 x 55.0 mm

Maximum Torque: 84.6 ft·lbf @9500 rpm

Compression Ratio: 12.7:1

Fuel Injection: DFI with Mikuni 43 mm Throttle Bodies (4)

Ignition: TCBI with Digital Advance

Transmission: 6-Speed

Final Drive: X-Ring Chain

Rake/Trail: 24 degrees/4.0 in.

Front Wheel Travel: 4.7 in

Rear Wheel Travel: 4.9 in.

Front Tire Size: 120/70 ZR17

Rear Tire Size: 190/55 ZR17

Wheelbase: 54.7

Front Suspension: 43 mm Inverted Cartridge Fork with Adjustable

Preload, Stepless Rebound and Compression Damping

Rear Suspension: Uni-Trak with Adjustable Preload, Stepless

Rebound and Compression Damping, Ride Height

Front Brake Type: Dual Floating 300 mm Petal Discs with

4-Piston Radial-Mount Calipers

Rear Brake Type: Single 220 mm Petal Disc

Fuel Tank Capacity: 4.5 gal

Seat Height: 32.5

Dry Weight: 386 pounds (175 kilograms)

Color: Lime Green/Flat Sonic Black, Ebony, Pearl Solar Yellow, Hydro B

Thunderace

0-100 km/h (0-62 mph): 3.2 seconds

1/4 mile (0.4 km): 10 seconds

Power/weight ratio: 0.7323 HP/kg

i have colored the letters peri as this is OT,but this thread served has already served it's purpose...so appreciate if you let this post stand

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry Don, totally missed it. Besides reading thru that section at past 1 am, and various FSP issues, I think I'm just getting used to it as the way GFx talks and just missed it.

i understand,no worries...yes it can be confusing sometimes

My opinion as an owner of a Maruti Vehicle,

Maruti 800 is not meant for doing serious Performance Enhancements unless its brakes are improved at the same time. (I do not think it is feasible) Otherwise it is a waste of money doing such engine mods, just to find you have no control over your vehicle's power.

On the other hand, modifying a MARUTI ALTO LXi (800cc) is the sensible option to do the modifications what Ek3's friend has done to his M800, since when compared to M800 it comes with servo-assisted brakes and a solid body shell. (ALTO is the only solidly built Maruti car.)

However, for serious performance driving, the best Maruti cars to modify are the OLD Zen (1000cc) and OLD Alto VXi (1100cc).

One must not forget that all the abovemetioned Marutis are hatchbacks and not Sedans. Therefore these cars can not be compared with Legacys, Hondas and Corollas, but with Toyota Starlets and Nissan March K11s. These hatchbacks are very nimble unlike sedans.

Further cars like Legacy RS and CIVIC Type R are meant for those who are into DRAG RACING. Only well-heeled Boy- Racers can afford to buy and maintain those cars.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I could see in another forum, that one member has gone into the extent of calling Marutis as "Junk".

Most people here in Sri Lanka, tend to belittle these Indian-made Suzuki cars because of the Maruti prefix. I think only Sri Lanka's A*W is marketing Maruti vehicles under Maruti-Suzuki brand (Except SWIFT)while in Maruti's other export markets they are sold as Suzuki.(Refer SUZUKI Global Website)

Though Marutis lack the finesse of their 'Made-in-Japan' conterparts, they are the cheapest BRAND NEW cars to be found with Japanese Technology. Further Suzuki's stake in Maruti-Suzuki has increased over the years, while the Govt. of India has withdrawn from the Joint Venture and India is now Suzuki's main export hub.

Finally I would like to add that, anybody who hopes to buy a car should refer some unbiased reviews (in the Internet) about the car they are going to buy. Then you will not regret later.

Long ago I used to crave for a Crystal-light M800, later after reading a review I found out that to make that car even cheaper Maruti has Stripped off some features earlier used to be in that car. Later I opted for the much better Alto. However in April 2006 when I visited the A*W showroom they tried to convince me to buy a Zen (Old Model). Again because I have done my research, I knew that the production of Zen has been stopped a month ago, and also the redesigning of that car was limited to its exterior. They could not sell me a Zen. Later I found that there is a 1 1/2 month waiting period for the Alto and because I was desperate to buy a car, and I had a budget of 1.5 Million I finally settled for a Wagon R.(that too with the knowledge of the inherent notchy gearshift of Maruti Wagon R.)

At their showroom I also asked them that why don't they allow us to test drive any of the vehicles. This might be the reason most people ended up buying a Maruti 800 when they discovered its many short comings it was too late. I feel that at least half of the buyers would have stretch their budget and buy an ALTO had they were allowed a test drive.

It's true that M800 is nothing compared to bigger cars, but it delevers what its potential buyers expect from it. In a Maruti official's words the Maruti 800 is positioned as "the logical upgrade for Two-Wheeler owners".

Edited by samishka

I think its unfair and uncalled for to talk down Marutis and the owners. As i said before there are many reasons why a person would buy one and ignorance is not one of them.

Ripster got a classic example. He chose comfort over vintage where as for some the vintage factor will be right on top of the list. Sri Lankans are a nation who loves new things so why not apply that mindset to automobiles.

damn it looks like i have missed yet another heated (and entertaining) argument. i have no intention to put fuel to a dieing (or already dead) fire but thought of raising my voice to touch base on a comment MasterDon has made (i believe that post has been deleted now) about 'people who know him not coming to put an end to the argument'.

mate, my view (from experience) is that people are bit reluctant to intervene solely because they don't want to disturb their inner peace. especially if people involved in the argument has no idea how to carry out a civilized conversation yet alone an argument. as i've said before some believe a good offence is the best defence the minute going get tough out comes the name calling and mudslinging. so mate even for once do not think that we have abandoned you.

Damn, stay off the forum for a few hours and look at all that has gone down!! :blink:

having missed most of whatever it was that went on, let me just take this opportunity to say that I know MasterDon (ex helrazor) quite well, and i can categorically state that he is NOTHING AT ALL like the dearly departed Hola, so gihan for heaven's sake, ease off man! you seriously need to learn to handle disagreements in a slightly more mature way machan..... and Don, chill out bro, "danno danithi", as they say.

Edited by Supra_Natural

no need...cos unlike some i dont need to modify mine to make it fast

here are the stats from wiki...as you can see there is nothing on four wheels in sl that could even think of matching up to me..

sorry i dnt know nothing abt bikes

Damn, stay off the forum for a few hours and look at all that has gone down!! :blink:

having missed most of whatever it was that went on, let me just take this opportunity to say that I know MasterDon (ex helrazor) quite well, and i can categorically state that he is NOTHING AT ALL like the dearly departed Hola, so gihan for heaven's sake, ease off man! you seriously need to learn to handle disagreements in a slightly more mature way machan..... and Don, chill out bro, "danno danithi", as they say.

check the post what cause this, when someone talk abt my private stuff then what u expct me to do ?

No offense guys but it clearly shows that this thread is a good example for big company’s trying to take advantage of AL forum to promote their products freely... :rolleyes: I’m not going to say which company it is but anybody can notice it by reading this thread. I must say that it’s a good marketing attempt to get our attention by talking about modifying and slowly going to 2'nd car concept... but then again I must say that they have failed miserably...firstly it’s only less than 10% of total AL viewers who frequent the AL forum and secondly it clearly shows the class of the people who work in their marketing department...next time do a better job in more professional manner !

Talking about Modifying Marutis.. (No offense to any Ricer or Any Maruti Owner..) i came across with these.. Maruti 800 cabriolet :angry-smiley-048:

At least Big companies could try something new like these.. for a start.. :action-smiley-060:

80051sb.jpg w640.png

80043tc.jpg w640.png

80069nh.jpg w640.png

80038zq.jpg w640.png

2070q.jpg w640.png

Edited by Ruslan

Hey I hope in the future the admins nip this sort of spamming in the bud, I was wondering who the hell wants to modify a maruti?? I guess they thought the guys on this forum are a bunch of brain-dead ricers, even a ricer (no offense!) would think twice about buying a maruti for modding. There may be Maruti lovers out there, but personally I would recommend a jap or euro car anyday over a maruti, I've been in one, tried to drive one, with great difficulty (I'm 6ft), it just doesn't match up to a jap car in the same price range, if it was (a lot) cheaper I would recommend it as a budget second car. And it goes to show that if marketing is using spam to promote their vehicles they better learn that in the end most people do use their heads, & especially on this forum, will count on the car's reputation. So my advice to our dear spammers: market a better car.

check the post what cause this, when someone talk abt my private stuff then what u expct me to do ?

unfortunately machan, all the posts relevant to the argument have been deleted... so i called it based on what i saw.. both you guys need to chill out, the AL forum is a place for friendly car chat, not for members to put each other down ne.

My opinion as an owner of a Maruti Vehicle,

Maruti 800 is not meant for doing serious Performance Enhancements unless its brakes are improved at the same time. (I do not think it is feasible) Otherwise it is a waste of money doing such engine mods, just to find you have no control over your vehicle's power.

On the other hand, modifying a MARUTI ALTO LXi (800cc) is the sensible option to do the modifications what Ek3's friend has done to his M800, since when compared to M800 it comes with servo-assisted brakes and a solid body shell. (ALTO is the only solidly built Maruti car.)

However, for serious performance driving, the best Maruti cars to modify are the OLD Zen (1000cc) and OLD Alto VXi (1100cc).

One must not forget that all the abovemetioned Marutis are hatchbacks and not Sedans. Therefore these cars can not be compared with Legacys, Hondas and Corollas, but with Toyota Starlets and Nissan March K11s. These hatchbacks are very nimble unlike sedans.

Further cars like Legacy RS and CIVIC Type R are meant for those who are into DRAG RACING. Only well-heeled Boy- Racers can afford to buy and maintain those cars.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I could see in another forum, that one member has gone into the extent of calling Marutis as "Junk".

Most people here in Sri Lanka, tend to belittle these Indian-made Suzuki cars because of the Maruti prefix. I think only Sri Lanka's A*W is marketing Maruti vehicles under Maruti-Suzuki brand (Except SWIFT)while in Maruti's other export markets they are sold as Suzuki.(Refer SUZUKI Global Website)

Though Marutis lack the finesse of their 'Made-in-Japan' conterparts, they are the cheapest BRAND NEW cars to be found with Japanese Technology. Further Suzuki's stake in Maruti-Suzuki has increased over the years, while the Govt. of India has withdrawn from the Joint Venture and India is now Suzuki's main export hub.

Finally I would like to add that, anybody who hopes to buy a car should refer some unbiased reviews (in the Internet) about the car they are going to buy. Then you will not regret later.

Long ago I used to crave for a Crystal-light M800, later after reading a review I found out that to make that car even cheaper Maruti has Stripped off some features earlier used to be in that car. Later I opted for the much better Alto. However in April 2006 when I visited the A*W showroom they tried to convince me to buy a Zen (Old Model). Again because I have done my research, I knew that the production of Zen has been stopped a month ago, and also the redesigning of that car was limited to its exterior. They could not sell me a Zen. Later I found that there is a 1 1/2 month waiting period for the Alto and because I was desperate to buy a car, and I had a budget of 1.5 Million I finally settled for a Wagon R.(that too with the knowledge of the inherent notchy gearshift of Maruti Wagon R.)

At their showroom I also asked them that why don't they allow us to test drive any of the vehicles. This might be the reason most people ended up buying a Maruti 800 when they discovered its many short comings it was too late. I feel that at least half of the buyers would have stretch their budget and buy an ALTO had they were allowed a test drive.

It's true that M800 is nothing compared to bigger cars, but it delevers what its potential buyers expect from it. In a Maruti official's words the Maruti 800 is positioned as "the logical upgrade for Two-Wheeler owners".

Yawn... you really should try and apply for a Marketing position an A_M_W mate... you seem to be far better informed about their products than most of the sales people there are!

incidentally, with regard to your point about the Legacy's and Civic's being for DRAG RACING (why the emphasis?), that isnt true at all. The Legacy RS is a four door family saloon, that just happens to have excellent performance. Couple of AL members actually own and use RS's and i dont think they qualify as "well heeled boy racers"... oh and by the way, nobody was discussing the Type R civic here, we were just pointing out that standard civics, corollas and indeed, sunnys and mazda 323s are available for considerably less than most of the maruti products, and if you get a good one, it'll serve far better than any maruti!

in sum, autolanka is after all, an enthusiasts website, so it's only going to be natural that significant number of members will encourage potential car buyers to think outside the box and go for something other than the "default choice.

No offense guys but it clearly shows that this thread is a good example for big company’s trying to take advantage of AL forum to promote their products freely... :rolleyes: I’m not going to say which company it is but anybody can notice it by reading this thread. I must say that it’s a good marketing attempt to get our attention by talking about modifying and slowly going to 2'nd car concept... but then again I must say that they have failed miserably...firstly it’s only less than 10% of total AL viewers who frequent the AL forum and secondly it clearly shows the class of the people who work in their marketing department...next time do a better job in more professional manner !

ha ha ha ha :)

a nice local big "HOOOOOOOOOOOO" from me the moron who tried to BS us :)

Yawn... you really should try and apply for a Marketing position an A_M_W mate... you seem to be far better informed about their products than most of the sales people there are!

incidentally, with regard to your point about the Legacy's and Civic's being for DRAG RACING (why the emphasis?), that isnt true at all. The Legacy RS is a four door family saloon, that just happens to have excellent performance. Couple of AL members actually own and use RS's and i dont think they qualify as "well heeled boy racers"... oh and by the way, nobody was discussing the Type R civic here, we were just pointing out that standard civics, corollas and indeed, sunnys and mazda 323s are available for considerably less than most of the maruti products, and if you get a good one, it'll serve far better than any maruti!

in sum, autolanka is after all, an enthusiasts website, so it's only going to be natural that significant number of members will encourage potential car buyers to think outside the box and go for something other than the "default choice.

ditto that mate :)

logical upgrade for two wheelers my foot!

i too had 2 bikes before deciding on going for 4 wheels after marriage etc... And you cant come and say maruti is the "logical upgrade" for two wheelers like that... maybe in india that might be the case but defa not in sl...

On and off i still have to take cabs that are maurtis for official running about at work and the ride comfort in those are just awful... AC sucks and leg space in non existent...

can you comfortably take a long trip in one of those things?

If you're willing to compromise and want economy and supposedly less repairs... maruti might be one of the choices...

My friend who went for an ALto mainly did it cos he's not too good with cars and mechanical stuff... he was worried and older jap will run him to the ground with repairs...

End of the day it's your choice....

But saying maruti is the 'logical upgrade" is as stupid as saying they are junk!

really!...damn!...and i was pro modding anything(i still am),this just rendered that whole discussion useless,sorry to get mixed up in this clusterf**k madz.

Talking about Modifying Marutis.. (No offense to any Ricer or Any Maruti Owner..) i came across with these.. Maruti 800 cabriolet :angry-smiley-048:

At least Big companies could try something new like these.. for a start.. :action-smiley-060:

80051sb.jpg w640.png

damn this is too much...even for a ricer like me

sorry i dnt know nothing abt bikes

zero to sixty times are universal...they apply to both cars and bikes.

i too had 2 bikes before deciding on going for 4 wheels after marriage etc... And you cant come and say maruti is the "logical upgrade" for two wheelers like that... maybe in india that might be the case but defa not in sl...

On and off i still have to take cabs that are maurtis for official running about at work and the ride comfort in those are just awful... AC sucks and leg space in non existent...

If you're willing to compromise and want economy and supposedly less repairs... maruti might be one of the choices...

My friend who went for an ALto mainly did it cos he's not too good with cars and mechanical stuff... he was worried and older jap will run him to the ground with repairs...

But saying maruti is the 'logical upgrade" is as stupid as saying they are junk!

Yeah even i have driven both "ALTO VXI" and Suzuki Alto Jap recon imported one. difference is huge. in VXI gear shifting is horrible. Jap one is far better than that Indian counterpart..

Edited by Ruslan

:action-smiley-033::action-smiley-033: unfortunatly some members didnt noticed this

:action-smiley-033::action-smiley-033: unfortunatly some members didnt noticed this

if by some members you mean me,GTAm,xXx and all the guys who were pro modding,you are hugely mistaken...the tropic starter may have been flawed but our point of argument still stands.

if by some members you mean me,GTAm,xXx and all the guys who were pro modding,you are hugely mistaken...the tropic starter may have been flawed but our point of argument still stands.

Don, you have gotta stop doing the "baleng thoppi dameema" scene dude. Gotta be like ice man. All chilled :)

"The logical upgrade for Two-Wheeler owners" applies only for India.

I am also against for Maruti continuing with this outdated car, instead of positioning the Alto as the entry level Maruti.

I personally dislike Reconditioned (Especially Domestic Model) Vehicles.

Assuming your friend who bought a Maruti Alto, wanted a small car that is brand new, then he has done the right thing.

I never recommend the M800 to anyone unless that person

* is in a strict budget

* needs a brand new car

* Not worried about the lack of comfort, lack of space and the POOR Brakes.

If I can convince that person to stretch his/her budget, then I advise to go for the Maruti Alto, which is though cramped, is far better than the M800.

For Sedan lovers there is no choice other than buying a second-hand Japanese one, since a brand new sedan (of decent quality) now costs more than Rs. 4 million.

The Legacy RS is a four door family saloon, that just happens to have excellent performance. Couple of AL members actually own and use RS's and i dont think they qualify as "well heeled boy racers"

Who else drive a 2000cc AWD Subaru Legacy RS other than a boy-racer. A down-to-earth person will never buy such a car for their daily running.