• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Vintage Ads

• 3 months later...

Good find! was this on that list or is this something you had and uploaded? which ever way nice to see such an old advert! shame that none of these older companies who held the agencies for reputed brands back in the day are no longer in business (aside possibly from Colonial Motors who were agents for Fiat, Alfa Romeo and Land Rover)

Good find! was this on that list or is this something you had and uploaded? which ever way nice to see such an old advert! shame that none of these older companies who held the agencies for reputed brands back in the day are no longer in business (aside possibly from Colonial Motors who were agents for Fiat, Alfa Romeo and Land Rover)

Thank you very much for your comment. I just tested an image upload.

There are more ads with me, but I wonder whether all of them can be hosted in imageshack.

I'll try putting some more.

Is there a way to upload images directly onto AL forum?

Regarding Globe Motors, it was situated where now there is a bare land adjoining NDB bank near the Colombo Public Library.

my dad has a huge collection of readers digests from the 50's 60's and 70's...and tha automobile ads in them are hilarious...and some claims they make about a particular car are mostly exaggerated if not completely untrue...ford was the biggest culprit.

Superb Samishka!

where on earth did you find all these from?!?!? :blink::huh:

Tuckers still survives on as The Autodrome (Union Place Col 2) if i'm not mistaken

& Clarence Amaresinghe was likely the precursor to "Car Mart" , which is still owned by the same family

I'd not so much as heard of the "Hansa" till now! :o

Edited by Devinda_Z

Superb Samishka!

where on earth did you find all these from?!?!? :blink::huh:

Tuckers still survives on as The Autodrome (Union Place Col 2) if i'm not mistaken

& Clarence Amaresinghe was likely the precursor to "Car Mart" , which is still owned by the same family

I'd not so much as heard of the "Hansa" till now! :o

I found those ads in some old deteriorating newspapers.

I threw them away, after scanning some interesting ads and news items.

c.1955 and c.1958 VW Beetle ads were taken from the "Gateway" Magazine of Royal Primary School (Royal Primary School was later merged with Royal College, Colombo)

1959 ads were taken from a "Sunday Times" (by Times of Ceylon) issue.

1960 ads were taken from a "Ceylon Daily News" issue.

Tuckers Autodrome is said to be the same 'Autodrome' we see today, and yes, Clarence Amerasinghe was the founder of Car Mart and it is still run by the same Amerasinghe family.(Sad to see they no longer hold the VW agency.)

I too have never seen a Hansa in our roads. It was produced by a subsidiary of "Borgward".

For more details refer http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goliath_1100

Edited by samishka

Isn't that a Mini? Why have they advertised it as a Austin 7?

The original Mini was a project undertaken by the Austin offices, and it was initially marketed as the Austin Mini. It was always under BMC/BLC, at one point being named, among others, Leyland Mini.

Edited by terrabytetango

c.1955 and c.1958 VW Beetle ads were taken from the "Gateway" Magazine of Royal Primary School (Royal Primary School was later merged with Royal College, Colombo)

If you do have that souvenir please do retain it - the R.C.U Archives would probably like to have it, in the event that you have no further use for it

with the 175th coming up i'm sure it would be nice to have as much memorabilia from yesteryear as possible :)

Not a vintage ad, but Fiat Fans might find it interesting.

Taken from the inaugural issue of "MOTOR Trading Post" (4-17 May 1995) and it was in the same year the agency for Fiat changed from Colonial Motors to Premier Automobiles (now defunct?) - Nawala.

well it kinda is actually vintage-ish - over 15 years ne! :)

Good find - i think the resident Alfisti & Italian Car Enthusiasts might know/share more, but i reckon this was the precursor to Auto Italia , who also proceeded to go under :(

If you do have that souvenir please do retain it - the R.C.U Archives would probably like to have it, in the event that you have no further use for it

with the 175th coming up i'm sure it would be nice to have as much memorabilia from yesteryear as possible :)

It's gone forever. I threw it after scanning the whole magazine.

The paper was very fragile, especially in the printed areas (areas covered with ink).

The center pull-out, with a group photo of the whole staff and students, still remains.

Could not scan it owing to its large format.

By the way, I totally forgot about the RC archives. :(