• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Mileage And Reliablity Of Engines

megatron

Question

I have this little questions which has kept me puzzled for sometime. So thought of throwing it here.

I owned a japanese car(petrol), manufactured in 1989 which had done approx 136,000kms. And it was about time to replace most of the parts in the engine, from rings to bearings, timing belt etc. Well fair enough the car has done 136k plus its a good 20 years old. (and the car was showing some initial wear n tear related hiccups)

Nevertheless I've seen a lof of newer cars (not of a perticular make but in general) which have been manufactured in say 2002/2003 onwards which have well overshot on mileage (i.e - exceeding 130,000kms) but most of these seem to run quite perfectly. (with absolutely no undercompression or lag which could be noticed)

My question is, Is mileage a good measure of determining whether a car is in good condition. Would buying a new car (say manufatured in 2002/2003) having a mileage exceeding 100,000kms be risky?

Well if i put it this way

Car A - Manufactured in 1994 - 1997> 100,000kms

Car B - " " 2002 - 2007 > 100,000kms

How do I determine which one will start giving trouble to me 1st? Logic says yes its the older one, but I'd like to have some thoughts.

10 answers to this question

As far as i know - this depends on the Engine technologies used, so earlier it was the carburetors, then EFI, then VVT-i and now even newer technologies are used with on going improvements so the latest models are to be lasted a lot longer.

on the second note, its hard just to decide the engine condition from the mileage that had been done. it depends on how the engine had been maintained, and cared. simple example would be our selfs - depending on the food that we take - healthy or unhealthy, exercise we do, things we do will determine how well we would be isnt it? cant tell from the age nah? u can be older but at the same time be stronger if had well maintained.

and petrol cars can go to 300-400K mileage without problem (if maintained good), and even more may be with a engine rebuild.

Very interesting post ……

This is how I would look at it and interpret it ….

The mileage on cars here in SL are a mystery – changing the figures is Childs play even with digital meters…

Hence it does not matter if it’s a new car or a new car – basically if the car has had good maintenance records which can back the mileage on the car – then u know u have a genie thing. If there are no records and the mileage is low – and the car YOM is old – then 2+2 does not add up to 4

Also I suppose most European car engines have a higher durability compared to its Japanese or Korean counterparts.

errr...how is that so mate???

Jap motors are almost legendary in their "durability" aspect... their are enough and more legendary motors like the sr20de's that are almost bulletproof!

i don't think you can make a blanket statement like that but that's just me :D

I guess that all makes sense.

Also I suppose most European car engines have a higher durability compared to its Japanese or Korean counterparts.

I have to disagree here...

We have a "well Known" Astina which has clocked 300,000 + km and is still been thrashed around, by the same owner. Of course, it is well maintained. I'm sure he will comment on this, very soon :lol:

errr...how is that so mate???

Jap motors are almost legendary in their "durability" aspect... their are enough and more legendary motors like the sr20de's that are almost bulletproof!

i don't think you can make a blanket statement like that but that's just me :D

well it's just perception in my case :rolleyes:

I guess that all makes sense.

You are quite wrong there my friend.... actually, even the old japanese engines used in the Sunnys and Corollas of the 80s were far better engineered than their european counterparts. The difference was in the casting methods used for the engine blocks and gearwheels which were made with far more precision than those in a lot of the mass market european brands.

Even in the latest cars, many european car owners would tell you that you simply have expect to have to replace parts like Turbos and Fuel pumps after 60,000 kms or so, whereas japanese cars run on very much longer even if carelessly maintained.

You are quite wrong there my friend.... actually, even the old japanese engines used in the Sunnys and Corollas of the 80s were far better engineered than their european counterparts. The difference was in the casting methods used for the engine blocks and gearwheels which were made with far more precision than those in a lot of the mass market european brands.

Even in the latest cars, many european car owners would tell you that you simply have expect to have to replace parts like Turbos and Fuel pumps after 60,000 kms or so, whereas japanese cars run on very much longer even if carelessly maintained.

Yeah gotta agree on that, the japs have a far more advanced production mechanism. But then again my toyota (starlet) has let me down many a times when I needed it the most... :unsure: I've not written off jap vehicles off my books my I'm a bit sceptical about going for jap vehicle next time. Might sound like shooting my own two feet.

A friend told me that Subarus are extremely reliable machines, and also his hyundai coupe which he owned for a good 3 years. Must have a good think about it.. :rolleyes: what say u guys?

thanks bugati... yeah.. mine's done over 300K.. and yes i do thrash it around A BIT......... its the maintaince aspect that comes into play here.. u have to put quality stuff to ur engine, like a good oil, and change plugs, and do the routine stuff correctly... and as the engine gets older like mine u need to be extra careful of the service intervals... so its not so much the age i belive.. one car really be nasty to a new engine and u are better off buying an old one that is maintained well than the new one which was treated rather poorly...

but i cannot really comment on any other engines other than the mazda as i have only owned one. and i am still owning the same...

Edited by charitha19