• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Isuzu Double Cab

Gummybr

I'm on the lookout for a Double Cab and have found a Isuzu Double Cab with 50 sri or 51- number going at a very reasonable price (brand new) compared to the other overpriced contemporary Japanese Cabs.

My problem on this is I need to know about the 2.5l n/a engine, its reliability and availability of parts and such. If any of you guys have experience with one of these please do enlighten me.

P/s: I have come across 2 40- Nissan D/Cab (with the D21 Body) going for 1.4 - 1.65mil which is way too much. I looked at a Nissan D21 recently in the Gem Country but found it to be very badly used asking for 1.35mil.

I'm on the lookout for a Double Cab and have found a Isuzu Double Cab with 50 sri or 51- number going at a very reasonable price (brand new) compared to the other overpriced contemporary Japanese Cabs.

My problem on this is I need to know about the 2.5l n/a engine, its reliability and availability of parts and such. If any of you guys have experience with one of these please do enlighten me.

P/s: I have come across 2 40- Nissan D/Cab (with the D21 Body) going for 1.4 - 1.65mil which is way too much. I looked at a Nissan D21 recently in the Gem Country but found it to be very badly used asking for 1.35mil.

The double cab you are referring has a chassis breaking problem as I can remember.

The double cab you are referring has a chassis breaking problem as I can remember.

err...is this from personal experience or just hearsay?

anyways gummy...as a guy who owns a couple of suzie's(old trooper and N series trucks)...i can safely that these are solid vehicles and they get the job done...though they may lack the refinement of thier other jap counterparts...i have no firsthand experience this particular cab but so far i haven't heard anything negative...but you better investigate what this gentleman is saying just to be on the safe side

do let me know if you make the purchase because i have some isuzu related contacts that i can share with you.

best of luck!

• Thanks 1

I say go for it! My FIL has one, (KB100) bought brand new in 97 for 900k,from SML and it still runs like new. The IC Turbo is really grunty and as long as its serviced properly, she runs well. It has done close to 250K and still no issues with the engine or suspension, apart from a few standard replacements as it is run in Colombo roads a lot, but still gets run a lot!

The trick is to find a well used one.

And No, I have never heard of a Chassis snapping in these machines. As far as I know, Isuzu may not build pretty vehicles, but they do build them like tanks! Perhaps the gentleman in question has the misfortune to buy one that was spliced?

Edited by VVTi

I say go for it! My FIL has one, (KB100) bought brand new in 97 for 900k,from SML and it still runs like new. The IC Turbo is really grunty and as long as its serviced properly, she runs well. It has done close to 250K and still no issues with the engine or suspension, apart from a few standard replacements as it is run in Colombo roads a lot, but still gets run a lot!

The trick is to find a well used one.

And No, I have never heard of a Chassis snapping in these machines. As far as I know, Isuzu may not build pretty vehicles, but they do build them like tanks! Perhaps the gentleman in question has the misfortune to buy one that was spliced?

i have to agree with him on this my close buddy use to own one...was a tad noisy compared to the other makes but it was a very sturdy vehicle and built to last...

Gummy are you looking for the 4WD version or 2WD?...as far as the D21 is concerned im using one for the last 4 years the cosmetics are not that good of a condition but its very reliable and is a work horse....so if you do get a mechanically sound D21 for a good price go for it as you have the option of replacing the complete body for about 3-4.5 lacks

i have to agree with him on this my close buddy use to own one...was a tad noisy compared to the other makes but it was a very sturdy vehicle and built to last...

Gummy are you looking for the 4WD version or 2WD?...as far as the D21 is concerned im using one for the last 4 years the cosmetics are not that good of a condition but its very reliable and is a work horse....so if you do get a mechanically sound D21 for a good price go for it as you have the option of replacing the complete body for about 3-4.5 lacks

I'm looking at a 4WD variant.

Our company had four 2 WD and one 4 Wd ISUZU cabs (YOPM 1996) and they worked like horses and carried goods like donkys for years and sold four out of five very recently with out doing any major repairs. Persanolly I felt bit comfortable when you compare with Toyota and Mitsubishi cabs.

4 WD one is still working in good order.

I think ISUZU is one of reliable cabs in here.

one of my buddy's office had one and he used to borrow it for trips we used to do...

as YALA had already stated... the engine is quite loud compared to say a hilux or a nissan cab of the same era...

but yeah, the bloody thing was rock solid and used to carry two trail bikes and 4 adults with camping gear and the likes on crappy roads...

it had good torque at lower revvs and could climb like a mountain goat :D

and in sl, isuzu's have been a proven brand with so many heavy vehicles, buses etc running about with little TLC....

so if spares are of no issue..especially body parts... i would defa go for it :)

Isuzu diesel engines are some of the best in the world. We had a company provided base model 2WD (bench seat, rear half bumper, local fitted A/C through SML), and it really was a great vehicle. Loud as the engine was, you felt connected with it, and it took a massive bashing over the years ( brand new 54- truck, was used for nearly 8 years to travel to work sites throughout SL). I still see it on the roads these days, still used by the same company.

My dad had a 2.5 n/a one as the official vehicle and the 2.8T as a personal one. The n/a one was quite underpowered, imho. I think its a newer model to what your looking at, tho I'm not very sure on the models. But I had just started driving when we had the 2.5, and it was a pain. Turn the A/C off and pray nothing appears when overtaking a bus or lorry. Maybe underpowered is the wrong word, it managed loads just fine, but acceleration was terrible. But solid vehicle. But the Turbo I liked.

machan go for it and those engines can take 350,000 - 400,000km's without a problem and very hardy and economical compared the others.

i have a tropie with the 4JB1 2.8 intercooler turbo , and i use it as a daily runner , fully worth the money and personally feel all toyoya's and nissans are crazily over priced .

i'm really suprised of the turning circle as it is almost the same or even better than the Vz-R .

Check whether body parts are available outside. You can buy Spare parts from SML without any problem at reasonable prices. But for most of the Isuzu double cabs, finding body parts could be a pain.

I dont think body parts would be a problem as I have seen a few new bodies at places where they import car parts.

Personally I think it has better room in the back compared to the Toyota's and Nissan's. I have been in the 2Wd version on short journeys but never driven one, so it maybe my first experience with an Isuzu.

Peri & Jaga, how was the comfort factor of the 4wd version?

I dont think body parts would be a problem as I have seen a few new bodies at places where they import car parts.

Personally I think it has better room in the back compared to the Toyota's and Nissan's. I have been in the 2Wd version on short journeys but never driven one, so it maybe my first experience with an Isuzu.

Driver seat comfort was pretty OK. I once drove the 2.8 for something like 14 hours in one day. The back, not so much. It was made better coz my father got a frame made and inserted under the seat which raised it about 6 inches. Made me bump my head on the roof when I rode in the back tho :)

ISUZU 4 Wd ride is not uncomfortable for me but I can't compare with others (4WD) since I don't have any experience please.

I went checked out the Cab today, but that guy has destroyed it!

Who in the world would seal off the rear tailgate? He had put on a very bad paint and I felt that it was a total waste to go see the vehicle all the way to Ratnapura.

On top of it all he has removed the 4x4 setting and was talking about raising the body and all, it was a junk overall, although he claims it to be in good perfect condition.

Anyway thanks for the input guys.

I went checked out the Cab today, but that guy has destroyed it!

Who in the world would seal off the rear tailgate? He had put on a very bad paint and I felt that it was a total waste to go see the vehicle all the way to Ratnapura.

On top of it all he has removed the 4x4 setting and was talking about raising the body and all, it was a junk overall, although he claims it to be in good perfect condition.

Anyway thanks for the input guys.

There will be others. Don't worry. We went looking for Hiluxs and were dissapointed with EACH and EVERY one of them.... Something was always worng with them. IN the end settled for a Ford Courier and cannot be more glad about our decions.

• 4 weeks later...