• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Experience With Indian Alto

thusi

if anybody comments on the negatives of the car, why do you guys get your panties in a twist all the time???

Because of your wrong assumptions regarding certain facts.

Most of you guys seem to think that,

* Having serious safety issues in Maruti 800 and Maruti Omni means all the other vehicles in the Maruti-Suzuki range has a similar level of safety. (Using the word "Maruti" interchangeably to call a "Maruti 800" and "any vehicle from the Maruti-Suzuki range" leads to confusion).

*Maruti-Suzuki engines are not reliable.

*Maruti-Suzukis has such a poor build that they will fall apart within few years like in a Bajaj three-wheeler or an ACGL-bodied Tata bus.

*The whole Maruti-Suzuki range consists of discontinued Suzuki models (like it used to be 10 yrs ago).

*All those who bought Maruti-Suzuki's were also expecting space, comfort and driving pleasure from their cars.

*Sri Lankan Govt.'s ridiculous increase of Import Duty for vehicles (in 2004) had nothing to do with the surge in A*W's Maruti-Suzuki sales.

*Maruti-Suzuki Ltd. is still a Govt. of India enterprise, and the Govt. influences the company's operations in such a way that adversely affects the quality of the cars.

Further in a country where majority of the motorists
*don't take even the basic safety precautions (wearing Seatbelts, Helmets) and brave (or foolish?) enough to take risks,
*always obsessed with a vehicle's fuel efficiency,

*where crudely built Three-wheelers are sold as "The ideal family vehicle",

*where buses are never equipped with padded seat-backs and poles,

the Japanese people at Maruti-Suzuki seem to know the mindset of average car buyer in SL and India. :mellow:

Edited by samishka

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

fair enough. but why is it that you and a couple of other maruti owners (which all seem to be the same person) take it very personally whenever someone make a negative comment about marutis?

I mean everyone makes negative comments about a certain car all the time, be it a supercar like the veyron or a disposable as the maruti "800"

but when it comes to marutis you guys seem to be rather defensive. first of all you always have to have some slack when your car is flawed or has a string of jokes attached to it. secondly it could be that it fulfills your needs rather adequately and other people might not have the exact same needs. or their aspirations are higher.

so why try to argue with them? impaling on the steering wheel after a crash might be fine for you. but not so for the ones who complain. and i don't see how you can convince them thats perfectly ok.

so why don't you just give up being an ambassador of good will towards marutis and live your life happily with your maruti wagon r? the marutis (800 and alto) will always be the butt of all jokes unless something cheaper and deadlier comes into move them upmarket. so lets stop all this nonsense which looks nothing more than cheap advertising from your part. and its not like the maruti doesnt have a place in our society. without it all the jokes will be on the korean and chinese marques.

Because of your wrong assumptions regarding certain facts.

Most of you guys seem to think that,

* Having serious safety issues in Maruti 800 and Maruti Omni means all the other vehicles in the Maruti-Suzuki range has a similar level of safety. (Using the word "Maruti" interchangeably to call a "Maruti 800" and "any vehicle from the Maruti-Suzuki range" leads to confusion).

set of average car buyer in SL and India. :mellow:

look here, for my own eyes what i saw few days ago was a K number Alto face to face crashed to a CR41, Alto safety sucks big time

Maruti company claims that their cars have a collapsible steering....Dnt know whether its true...:D

Samishka....Dnt take things so seriously.And did anybody say that the Wagon R is crappy??/

Luckily I dont own a Maruti but has one at Home(Mums car)

Anyway I too feel the Lack of comfort,safety,Power when travelling in it.But i think it has served us well. It is good as a First car(Not for all).

since its maintainence is affordable we had kept it as a 2nd car.

It has been 2 years since we bought the car(I was against the idea of buying it).Still it hasnt given troubles.It has covered 8.5k Kms and was always serviced at the company.Its ECu is also Retuned so that it gives little bit more performance...:D

Im NOT a Maruti Fan.....

Edited by SpEeD FrEak

Were there any fatalities?

THAT'S yourexcuse? were there any fatalities? so basically what your saying is, as long as no one dies, the maruti is a safe car? :o yee gods mate! god help anyone who goes in your maruti (provided you have one). What Gihan is saying is, for a head on collision, which is quite common in Sri lanka, the maruti just crumpled to the point where the front 2 passengers had to go to hospital! There are zillions of head on collisions happening daily, but since most are NOT in maruti's the drivers are completely fine (if not a bit shaken up) and they just step outta their busted up nissans or hondas or toyota's etc, and are perfectly fine to start a huge argument with the other driver. lol. I've seen people who have crashed their cars in the middle of the night (drunk as hell) onto barriers and concrete posts etc, and just step out and mumble some rubbish to the cops. :lol: Dont see that happening with maruti's.

oh and today at about 5.40ish, a nice little accident in front of NCC (just before SSC) a jeep ( I think a izuzu trooper or a toyota land cruiser cant remember) was cutting across the road, and a maruti fellow had hit him on the right of the jeep. Maruti front left side smashed right into the front right side tyre of the jeep. Couldn't see anything seriously damaged in the wheel of the jeep, maruti on the other hand.. front left side had just crumpled up right up to the mudguard! says alot I must say. I'm sure you feel very safe in your maruti after seeing something like that.

It doesn't matter whether its an Alto or not! It's the pure fact that the alto's,maruti's zen's etc (i.e indian vehicles) have VERY low safety!!! Just accept it! at the end of the day, your life and your passengers lives are more important that getting 16-17 km/l <_< and it doesn't matter how careful a driver you are. The other driver is never gonna be as careful as you are.

Edited by virensti

Thank you SpEeD FrEak and JadeyBlitzen. I feel like have been more of an Alto Fan.

Honestly speaking I also used to hate anything Maruti only until I saw the 2002 Suzuki Calendar.

That 6-page calendar featured Suzuki models made in six different locations. (each page featuring one country)

I remember the 1st page had the (Euro-spec) WagonR and Ignis with the Hungarian Parliament in the Background and another page had the Alto with the Taj Mahal in the Background.

I was surprised to see such a contemporary car produced by Maruti. From that day I have a fondness with Maruti Alto.

At that time A*W had a totally out-dated Maruti- Suzuki line-up, while only Browns & Co. used to sell the (similar looking) 5th Gen. Japanese Suzuki Alto. :)

What Gihan is saying is, for a head on collision, which is quite common in Sri lanka, the maruti just crumpled to the point where the front 2 passengers had to go to hospital!

spot on, also the new alto Indian advertisement is all abt the power of the new K series Engine, they should have fixed a rollcage :action-smiley-060:

THAT'S yourexcuse? were there any fatalities? so basically what your saying is, as long as no one dies, the maruti is a safe car? :o yee gods mate! god help anyone who goes in your maruti (provided you have one). What Gihan is saying is, for a head on collision, which is quite common in Sri lanka, the maruti just crumpled to the point where the front 2 passengers had to go to hospital! There are zillions of head on collisions happening daily, but since most are NOT in maruti's the drivers are completely fine (if not a bit shaken up) and they just step outta their busted up nissans or hondas or toyota's etc, and are perfectly fine to start a huge argument with the other driver. lol. I've seen people who have crashed their cars in the middle of the night (drunk as hell) onto barriers and concrete posts etc, and just step out and mumble some rubbish to the cops. :lol: Dont see that happening with maruti's.

oh and today at about 5.40ish, a nice little accident in front of NCC (just before SSC) a jeep ( I think a izuzu trooper or a toyota land cruiser cant remember) was cutting across the road, and a maruti fellow had hit him on the right of the jeep. Maruti front left side smashed right into the front right side tyre of the jeep. Couldn't see anything seriously damaged in the wheel of the jeep, maruti on the other hand.. front left side had just crumpled up right up to the mudguard! says alot I must say. I'm sure you feel very safe in your maruti after seeing something like that.

It doesn't matter whether its an Alto or not! It's the pure fact that the alto's,maruti's zen's etc (i.e indian vehicles) have VERY low safety!!! Just accept it! at the end of the day, your life and your passengers lives are more important that getting 16-17 km/l <_< and it doesn't matter how careful a driver you are. The other driver is never gonna be as careful as you are.

Sometime back a Maruti had Crashed Head on with a Lorry and then Hit a Lamp post.It was Badly Damaged.So i showed my mum the Car and Told thats What maruti offers and Its Just Damn Crap.But a person Who was at the scene Told that its a Miracle that the Driver escaped cause The maruti was travelling Way above 60kmph.and also the driver had a Bruised hand.He said PODI UNATH MEWA HAYIYAYI :D.I felt like asking whether he was working at A*W

Another accident involving an Alto happened in Kirimandala Rd.It was about an Year back.An Alto had crashed on to a Telephone Post (Near Semage glass house).The driver had been drunk,The car was badly damaged but the Driver has had Only few bruises.I was told by 1 of our Van drivers that when they went to near the car thinking that the Driver is dead He got off Mumbling....

But in another accident at Katunayake a Family of 5 got killed when their alto Hit a Train

I Think its our time and Karma that Matters......

:rolleyes:

Edited by SpEeD FrEak

THAT'S yourexcuse? were there any fatalities? so basically what your saying is, as long as no one dies, the maruti is a safe car? :o yee gods mate! god help anyone who goes in your maruti (provided you have one).

actually inquiring for fatalities is a good way of knowing of a cars safety,for example my 50 or 60 year old cars are built like tanks,and if they do crash head on people automatically assume that they would fair better than modern cars...but the truth is that the car may be unscathed but you will find the occupants dead then and there...because there are no crumple zones or impact energy absorbant material installed,hence the impacts full power is transferred to the driver

so it is pretty normal that modern cars(even in cheap ones) look that they have been in a fatal when in reality it was much modest...the car maybe totaled but it's passengers are safe.

so in conclusion,the worse it looks the better...in most cases

I don't think there is much difference between the Alto (5th Gen.) and the abovementioned AE 100 (Non-ABS) and 18-Mazda 323 since all of them belong to the same era (i.e. the 90s).When talking about lack of safety we have to emphasise which generation Alto we are talking about. Maruti sells two generations of Altos concurrently.

Maruti 800 = 2nd Gen. Suzuki Alto = This is the model everybody should avoid buying. Though it might hurt their owners' sentiments, Even as a Maruti-Suzuki Fan, I always discourage buying this model. I wonder why they still struggle to sell this 25 year old design, even when its sales are dwindling.

Maruti Alto = 5th Gen. Suzuki Alto = This model is far ahead of Maruti 800 in many aspects (including safety) since it is an 11 year old design. From 2000 to 2008 this was the export model Suzuki Alto (in South Asia it is sold as Maruti Alto) and even exported to UK in VXi trim with the 1061cc engine, ABS & AirBags. Not much successful due to typical "Maruti build-quality". Refer http://www.whatcar.com/car-reviews/used/su...-review/25152-5 [since last year they export Maruti A-Star as the Suzuki Alto (Export market - 6th Gen.), but in South Asia they still continue with the 5th Gen. Suzuki Alto.]

Without any delay, Suzuki should scrap the former and make the latter the entry level Maruti.

I could not complete the above post, because of thundering and lightning. Here is the remaining.

The Maruti Alto (not Maruti 800) is a sensible buy for those looking for a small car and is ready to make a compromise on

1. Interior space

2. Interior Quality and

3. Comfort / Ride quality.

If those three aspects are of paramount importantance then avoid anything Maruti and look elsewhere.

(A well maintained Lancer C12 will offer those aspects much better even than a 3-box Maruti Esteem.)

As harshansenadhir said earlier, These days there is a marketing gimmick by way of Maruti 800 Facelift.

In reality it is just a stock Maruti 800 (still with the 2005 facelift intact) with Painted bumpers, Alloy wheels and a rear spoiler.

They did the same thing for the Alto (Special Edition and Sports) where they offer some nice goodies while overlooking more important features like an RPM meter, Accessory socket and rear defogger/wiper.

Maybe they are desparately trying to boost their dwindling sales and clear off the excess stocks, but prospective buyers should do their homework. Otherwise they will be mislead by the sales personnel. :)

Guys lets just drop it – I just hope the guys championing for Maruti are not employees of A*W as that would be a low down thing …..

True I champion Mazda & Ford but as a genuine enthusiast – I certainly don’t get paid by either agents.

I have no issues in the Maruti boys not considering about safety or what ever ….. just that you tend to see lots and lots of them on the road driving with out understanding the basics of driving disciplines – Not all I’m sure but most of them – Simply because it’s cheap to buy, small and easily maneuverable…..

can we please end this discussion about how unsafe marutis are or how people survived crashes in them?

people die in marutis cos they are lighter than average cars. and their design and equipment only compliment crash legislations at the time they were designed. so heavier more modern cars will outperform them in a crash.

so if someone can still feel secure in a maruti knowing that why should we bother?