• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Remove A "lock Nut"

ACG

Question

Hi All!

I have run in to a big problem on removing two of my wheels in case a flat tyre. Out of four nuts that fix the wheel, one of them is a special kind. Normally it is refered as a 'lock nut' and normally comes with alloy wheels.

My problem is that there are no proper tools to remove that nut and normall tools do not fit into that correctly. I have tried many tools shops including famous ones in Colombo.

I would like to hear you from experts on what can I do to remove this nut since I am running currently with great risk

Cheers

ACG.

22 answers to this question

If it's an original alloy wheel, I mean came with the car you will be provided with one.

If so you will have to buy one even.

If it's a after market alloy, well then you will have to hunt for one may get one turned out.

Actually I was not provided one and do you know a place to buy these?

Correction: This nut is also refered as "Lug Nut" as well

Cheers

Depends on the Make & Model.

Whats the car bro.

Mate;

it a VIOS, Actually I found that this nut is very rare amoung the lug nuts as well. This is a standard size nut with 5 grooves. I think this is refered as 5 spline nut, so I think I require a 5 spline socket to remove this

Thanks

ACG

Mate;

it a VIOS, Actually I found that this nut is very rare amoung the lug nuts as well. This is a standard size nut with 5 grooves. I think this is refered as 5 spline nut, so I think I require a 5 spline socket to remove this

Thanks

ACG

have you tried all tool importers? Check with brown& co they're agents for tekiro Failing that i'm sorry to say you might have to look for an option of removing the lug nut by force which might damage the nut and replace all if your wheel supports ,

have you tried all tool importers? Check with brown& co they're agents for tekiro Failing that i'm sorry to say you might have to look for an option of removing the lug nut by force which might damage the nut and replace all if your wheel supports ,

AC Paul & Aries Services in Kalubowila are two places you can start with if its tools u need

AC Paul & Aries Services in Kalubowila are two places you can start with if its tools u need

yep...AC paul is usually stocked pretty well but most of the stuff they have are tad bit pricey... :) but solid stuff so well worth the investment

Edited by Ripper

I actually I tried AC Paul and seems they dont have. I found these tools in Ebay but I dont find the exact tool for 5 spline. There is one guy in ebay who has 5 spline sokect but unfortunately, he does not ship to Sri Lanka

It seems the only option to remove it by force. Any good place to do that?

thanks for your input

Cheers

ACG

I actually I tried AC Paul and seems they dont have. I found these tools in Ebay but I dont find the exact tool for 5 spline. There is one guy in ebay who has 5 spline sokect but unfortunately, he does not ship to Sri Lanka

It seems the only option to remove it by force. Any good place to do that?

thanks for your input

Cheers

ACG

i bet the agents can remove it so why not get them to do it for you...

This might sound silly, but once I saw in "Teleseen Marketing" that they had a tool that could be used to remove any kinda nut.

The tool had small movable parts that adjust according to the shape of the nut, as you press the face of the tool against it.

Might as well try them. You should be able to ask them for a sample for you to try then n there..

This might sound silly, but once I saw in "Teleseen Marketing" that they had a tool that could be used to remove any kinda nut.

The tool had small movable parts that adjust according to the shape of the nut, as you press the face of the tool against it.

Might as well try them. You should be able to ask them for a sample for you to try then n there..

I dont think telescene is aorund anymore.. they were at level 3 of Majestic City at the far end towards galle road.

I think you're refering to the variable spanner which had a head like a plumbing wrinch (i forget the name). But that might not work since it was based on the hexagon nut (angle between the top 2 walls was fixed if i remember right).. but they also had this cool socket like instrument (Gatorgrip, I remember the name cos they had this aligator in the advert) which had adjusting pins. Once again it was based for the standard hexagon nuts but the independent pins just might adjust to a pentagon.

I dont think telescene is aorund anymore.. they were at level 3 of Majestic City at the far end towards galle road.

I believe they are located on Jayasuriya Place or something like that on Allen Avenue (Zoo Road) in Dehiwala - when coming from colmobo the lane where the hsop used to be was on the right hand size mid way up the small hill & bend..

Mate: Where is the place?

Cheers

its in Kalubowila

Its down a small lane that off the road adjoining the Kalubowila Hospital (where the hospital ends - toward Kohuwala)

You need to go down that road and then make a right turn (when heading from Kalubowila Rd)

They are the agents for Clarke Tools in SL and carry quite an extensive array of tools n equipment

Edited by Devinda_Z

Gator Grip i believe it was called - http://www.amazon.com/Gator-Grip-ETC-200MO...t/dp/B000065CJ8

http://www.endeavorproducts.com/

maybe a photo of the nut/wheel might help our boys to help you better :)

I second this. A picture does literally speak a thousand words. Most manufacturers of splined lug nuts use their own design, which in turn makes theft (and removal in case the key is lost) nearly impossible unless you can identify who the manufacturer is. But if we have a picture, I'm sure we can figure out what it is through our collective effort. Much better than risking damage to your alloys and possibly a drive lug.

thats the first thing that cm to my mind when i read the post...not sure of its availability in SL though..

As Dilesh also mentioned this used to be sold in SL by Teleseen Marketing (as seen on TV) - not too sure if its still available though as the last time i saw an ad for this was well over 5 years go :mellow:

ok i went to TELESEEN in Dehiwala &checked ~they do not have the GATORGRIP device in stock. They said to call in December & see if they have it then,but its unlikely as they have not imported it in over 3years or something that effect was what they had to say.. :mellow:

Deal All!

This is to conclude that I was able to remove the nut and now I am running freely. :D

I was dealing with this kind of nut

5 Spline Lug Nut

I searched almost all the places in Colombo to find a tool to remove this but was unsuccessfull.

Finally went to the famous lathe shop and Cotta Road and took 30 min to remove it

Thank you very much for your advise/help regarding this.

Cheers

ACG.