• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Tyre Time Again

GTAm

Question

The run at Mirigama with the MFOC boys was the last nail on the coffin for my rear tyres (they used to be fronts).

The treads are gone....... :(

Have been shopping around a bit and wondering what should replace my Yokohama ES-100s. They've lasted around 17,000kms. Prices have gone up by around 25% :blink: since two years ago!

Anyone has any experience with the following?

1 - Michelin MXV8 - Can't find a review on the net.

2. Dunlop Sport Maxx - Some reviews good, some bad......

3. Pirelli P6000 - Same as above......... :o

The size is 205/55/16. Car is Alfa 156 2.0

mate s'far as I know, the michelins are the longest lasting outta those 3 choices. They're what most of the new Benz's come with (from Dimos that is) they're also quite comfy but wont give you that much grip. Its also quite pricey. The Pirelli are supposed to have quite good grip in the dry, but I saw some reviews for them and alot of people said wet weather grip is aweful! Dunno bout the Dunlops though.. :unsure:

Edited by virensti

Most of the following ought to be available in the local market

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...romCompare1=yes

Dunlop LM702's were available.. not sure about this though - http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...romCompare1=yes

Bridgestone Turanza's might be an option as well if your not willing to go the whole hog with Adrenalines

17,000 kms i feel is just not enough and nearly not acceptable

Not sure about Falkens or Hankooks , Nangkangs but i'm guessing they'll be a little cheaper than the others

me using goodyear eagle f1 17inch 40mm profilers on the sol,good grip,less body roll,excellant water treading...

and dunlop 15 inch on the mga...average at best...the car havent even gone 5000km o in the last 4 years,and i already it looks like a slick racing tyre...lol

Ok... so blame the MFOCers... :P

I would say GoodYear Eagle F1... can say much since I use it now.. given me more than 20,000 km... seems I can do another 10,000 and wet handling is great..

Edited by Bugatti

Most of the following ought to be available in the local market

Dunlop LM702's were available.. not sure about this though - http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...romCompare1=yes

Bridgestone Turanza's might be an option as well if your not willing to go the whole hog with Adrenalines

17,000 kms i feel is just not enough and nearly not acceptable

Not sure about Falkens or Hankooks , Nangkangs but i'm guessing they'll be a little cheaper than the others

Exactly what I mean...... Some say good stuff and others bad...... :(

I was hesitant to add Good Years Eagle F1 s as one of my pals got less that 16,000kms from a set on his Civic!

Dunlop LMs and Turanzas are completely out I've used both and they are in the same boat as Michelin Energy...... except that the Turanzas vanished like a soft eraser. Too little grip from these ones and are a mismatch with the capability of the car......

So it has to be the top versions :( .

Not sure about the MXV8s so I guess I'll narrow down to the P6000s and Sport Maxxs.

My bro used Falkens on his 155, good grip but it's that eraser feeling again. Got Hankooks on the MR2....crap. Don't know about Nangkangs though. Although I know Khumho Ecstas are great except for road noise. Had them on before the Yokos.

Fwd Alfas are known to have a big appetite for rubber ;) Especially the insides....... So I guess 20,000km is what I can expect from a high performance tyre........

Btw what's on the Z?

Ok... so blame the MFOCers... :P

I would say GoodYear Eagle F1... can say much since I use it now.. given me more than 20,000 km... seems I can do another 10,000 and wet handling is great..

Wow that is great! What's the country of origin and are they F1 GSD3s?

Who else can I blame ;) ?

Btw what's on the Z?

Bridgestone Potenza GIII's

I'm not entirely happy with the levels of grip - but i dunno whether to attribute that to the tires or the car itself :mellow:

These were on the car when i got it and i've done close to 12,000 on my own without showing considerable signs of wear

I don't think GIII's are available as freely anyomore - the series has been replaced with the Adrenaline's afaik :unsure:

Hi Guys,

Pirelli is ever made best tyres, i have sean 80000kms from 185 X 14 at once , but here in sri lanka you will not get best

manufactured tyres(TURKEY),here there is no proper dealer for pirelli all are pirate guys bringing those tyres from south asian manufaturers

Thanks

Regards

Sumith

Edited by Sumiya

Was in for a pleasant surprise when i checked on the Defenders tires as they're due for replacement

on Maxxis Bravo 750 HT's - 4&a half years and 58,000 kms! :) i reckon that works out as some seriously decent value for money

very seriously thinking about replacing with AT's of the same - Rs.16,750 a pop for 265/70R16's - hardly anything is cheaper than that also

Hi Guys,

Pirelli is ever made best tyres, i have sean 80000kms from 185 X 14 at once , but here in sri lanka you will not get best

manufactured tyres(TURKEY),here there is no proper dealer for pirelli all are pirate guys bringing those tyres from south asian manufaturers

Thanks

Regards

Sumith

Actually, Amila tyres are the agents for pirelli, and as far as i know they've done a decent job... As to the 80k, where was this? was it in SL? because conditions here do tend to wear tyres out considerably faster than abroad.

here's the local distributor for Dunlop tires. They have a price list on their site. Check it out.

http://www.skmmlk.com/passcar/index.htm

But do keep in mind that some of those prices can, if not may, be further discounted

I was able to get a better quote than S.K Munasinghe for Dunlops from a place called Ravindra Tire on Hill Street in Dehiwala

But S.K Munsinghe does offer tires on Payment Plans for Amex cards

Hi Supra_Natural

Yes that mileage in sri lanka only, few years back i worked for Amil, that time only we got that mileage

but after that we didn't see that much of good mileage ,because they tried to buy low price tyres from south asian market instead of being taken from europe

thanks

regards

Sumith

I have very good experience with DUNLOP and my last set did 50000km . It was 180*70*14 and Japaneese make. Very comfortable good at wet traction but be careful when going againest pavement etc. Side wall is very thin.

Exactly you can get a better price from retail sellers than the agent.Also the cheapest one out of japaneese makes are DUNLOP and FALKEN.

The MIchelin MXV8s have been struck off the list as they are "Energy" tyres. And my previous experience means there's not enough grip.....

There is a new contender. Yokohama S-Drive........ Will have to decide before end of this week!

There is a new contender. Yokohama S-Drive........ Will have to decide before end of this week!

i recall mentioning that in my list :)

I'm not sure if it was a C- Drive or S- Drive that i was able to help source for Ash through Amila - worth giving them a call i guess..

Hi Supra_Natural

Yes that mileage in sri lanka only, few years back i worked for Amil, that time only we got that mileage

but after that we didn't see that much of good mileage ,because they tried to buy low price tyres from south asian market instead of being taken from europe

thanks

regards

Sumith

thats some useful info to take note of Sumith - thanks

Was in for a pleasant surprise when i checked on the Defenders tires as they're due for replacement

on Maxxis Bravo 750 HT's - 4&a half years and 58,000 kms! :) i reckon that works out as some seriously decent value for money

very seriously thinking about replacing with AT's of the same - Rs.16,750 a pop for 265/70R16's - hardly anything is cheaper than that also

decided to be a little adventurous and rather than sticking with the known devils in the form of the Maxxis tires opted for Cooper Discoverer HT's from the states @ Rs. 17,500/= in the same size

straight off the grip levels seem vastly improved and the ride feels more supple - hard breaking in tropical downpour last evening had me slightly worried on account of the slight noise factor, but it actually did stop rather well taking distance into account

will report back on how they perform as time does by

something worth noting is that all tires have 3 measures noted on the sidewall which should be given consideration when making a purchase as they give a very basic idea as to what characteristics of the tire are (these ratings are developed and assessed, to my understanding, by an global international body of sorts so are likely to be accurate)

1) Tread Wear count - (100 is the base value - so the higher the number the longer the tire will likely last - also may translate into a slightly harder compound.. :unsure: )

Ex : Maxxis Bravo 750 HT's - 480

Pirelli Scorpion AT's - 520

Cooper HT's - 520

Goodyear Wranglers - 400 odd i think

Bridgestone Desert Duelers AT's - 330

2) Traction Rating - AA , A , B & C (obviously the AA being better than C)

Ex : its interesting to note that although the Bridgetone Desert Duelers are some of the better known and more expensive tires the Traction rating is only a B ! :o & the treadwear count isn't as good as it should be either! :blink: Though i'm sure first hand users will be able to further comment if this is true or not.

We ran them ages ago but i can't really recall much about them so can't comment clearly

3) Temperature Rating - A , B or C

Also do check the year of manufacture on tire prior to purchase - if your getting an unbelievably good rate or discount some shrewed sales guy way well be trying to push some left over stock across to you

decided to be a little adventurous and rather than sticking with the known devils in the form of the Maxxis tires opted for Cooper Discoverer HT's from the states @ Rs. 17,500/= in the same size

straight off the grip levels seem vastly improved and the ride feels more supple - hard breaking in tropical downpour last evening had me slightly worried on account of the slight noise factor, but it actually did stop rather well taking distance into account

will report back on how they perform as time does by

something worth noting is that all tires have 3 measures noted on the sidewall which should be given consideration when making a purchase as they give a very basic idea as to what characteristics of the tire are (these ratings are developed and assessed, to my understanding, by an global international body of sorts so are likely to be accurate)

1) Tread Wear count - (100 is the base value - so the higher the number the longer the tire will likely last - also may translate into a slightly harder compound.. :unsure: )

Ex : Maxxis Bravo 750 HT's - 480

Pirelli Scorpion AT's - 520

Cooper HT's - 520

Goodyear Wranglers - 400 odd i think

Bridgestone Desert Duelers AT's - 330

2) Traction Rating - AA , A , B & C (obviously the AA being better than C)

Ex : its interesting to note that although the Bridgetone Desert Duelers are some of the better known and more expensive tires the Traction rating is only a B ! :o & the treadwear count isn't as good as it should be either! :blink: Though i'm sure first hand users will be able to further comment if this is true or not.

We ran them ages ago but i can't really recall much about them so can't comment clearly

3) Temperature Rating - A , B or C

Also do check the year of manufacture on tire prior to purchase - if your getting an unbelievably good rate or discount some shrewed sales guy way well be trying to push some left over stock across to you

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/tec...e.jsp?techid=48

After a lot of thought, I got a set of Kumho Ecstas. Since I've used this tyre before I know that they are quite good. The final choice was between these and Dunlop Sport Maxx. The Dunlops were 7k extra per tyre! Kumhos 12k Dunlops 19k each.

Plus the wear rating was worse than the Kumhos even though the Dunlops looked like a real quality item. But then I could not say not to a 28k price difference.

Thanks for all the input and assistance from all. Especially Devinda who gave a lot of insight into the various ratings!