• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

J55 Turbo Timer

windrider320

guys im restoring a mitsubishi J55 ( 4DR6 ) , and i need to find a turbo timer for it , i dont live in SL so im wondering if any of u guys can help me where to get it in SL and how much will it cost and is there any other make that can be substituted for this part .. appriciate the help

Cheapest option is eBay.

You can get Chinese brand new unbranded one from Darley road for Rs.5500-. There are branded used ones available in Delkanda from Rs.4,000- to 6,000-

How come cars that have Turbo chargers on them don't all come with turbo timers as standard?

That's an interesting question. My guess is because most cars that have turbo's (i.e VW Passat, Carina,Audi A4 etc etc) run low boost turbo's. (0.5 Bar I think) so they don't get up to such a high rpm. Car's like STi's, Evo's, skyline's etc have a higher boost of about 1 bar or more, so the turbo's require time to slow down before the engine is stopped and the lubrication is cut off. I read somewhere that those Turbo's are in excess of 100,000 RPM. So it takes some time for them to slow down. And if you stop the engine before they've stopped spinning, the lubrication is cut from the oil pump and the turbo scroll's or turbines can get damaged.

I think that's why most turbo vehicles don't have turbo timers. And it's also why you shouldn't rev up a turbo engine before putting it off. I heard some bus guys rev up the engines like hell before putting them off (to charge the batteries) and thus getting the turbo spinning up like hell and then they just cut the engine.. D*MO's used to have that problem with alot of the new Tata buses and trucks coming in with damaged Turbo's.

If I'm wrong someone do please correct me. :)

Edited by virensti

Most, if not all, turbo'd vehicles come with specific instructions in the manual on caring for the engine. They recommend leaving the engine running for a certain period of time before shutting it off. A turbo timer merely allows the same, but unattended. I don't think any vehicle manufacturer would offer a factory feature like that, due to issues with safety, fuel consumption, theft, etc.

Most, if not all, turbo'd vehicles come with specific instructions in the manual on caring for the engine. They recommend leaving the engine running for a certain period of time before shutting it off. A turbo timer merely allows the same, but unattended. I don't think any vehicle manufacturer would offer a factory feature like that, due to issues with safety, fuel consumption, theft, etc.

does that mitsubishi pajero palathsaba model need a timer ?? 2.8 intercooler trbo model?

thanks alot for the info guys ..ill tell them to have a look in that area , btw does anyone know that if the 4DR6 came with a turbo timer from the factory..i did some reserch abt the vehicle and there was some info saying the last versions of the J55 came with the intercooled turbo engine . anyways does this engine requiere a turbo timer ..is there any added advantage by having one ...

does that mitsubishi pajero palathsaba model need a timer ?? 2.8 intercooler trbo model?

The "palathsaba" was never offered with a 2.8, only with a 2.5. The first turbo models were non intercooled, and afaik only the JDM Exceed and Super Exceed versions of the turbo diesel palathsaba came with an intercooler. A friend of mine fitted such an engine into his 1989 palathsaba after the original engine packed up. He's fitted a turbo timer to it, to the fuel cut off solenoid me thinks.

The "palathsaba" was never offered with a 2.8, only with a 2.5. The first turbo models were non intercooled, and afaik only the JDM Exceed and Super Exceed versions of the turbo diesel palathsaba came with an intercooler. A friend of mine fitted such an engine into his 1989 palathsaba after the original engine packed up. He's fitted a turbo timer to it, to the fuel cut off solenoid me thinks.

if it's only for the fuel cut off solenoid i'm very much in doubt about the impact to the alternator as it stops current flow to the batteries with switching off the ignition.

We had a 40 sri Nissan crew cab which at one point had an inoperative fuel solenoid and we had to shut off the engine by tugging on a wire which was tied to the valve mechanism (a la old SLTB bus style). You could literally take the key out of the ignition and the engine would be running. All that happened was the engine note became slightly faster due to the load from the alternator being taken off. I doubt such operation hurts the alternator in anyway, since all that happens is the circuit breaks.

We had a 40 sri Nissan crew cab which at one point had an inoperative fuel solenoid and we had to shut off the engine by tugging on a wire which was tied to the valve mechanism (a la old SLTB bus style). You could literally take the key out of the ignition and the engine would be running. All that happened was the engine note became slightly faster due to the load from the alternator being taken off. I doubt such operation hurts the alternator in anyway, since all that happens is the circuit breaks.

In fact that hurts the alternator as it generates current with no recipient as circuit breaks. Run a vehicle couple of days with battery terminals loose, immediately the alternator will pack up. If turbo timer set to simulate the ignition key off operation, than just cutting off solenoidthen there's no harm.

Rang up my friend and inquired to his setup, he said it's a Bogaard unit. It's wired up to the ignition, not just the fuel cut off as I had assumed earlier. It's a plug and play affair, unplugging the wiring loom at the firewall and connecting the timer electronics in between. Idling period is cycled by pushing a button on the dash mounted unit. He said there are more expensive unit which automatically adjust the idling period according to how hot the manifold is.