• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Noise When Accelerating With Ac On

rangerover

Question

Guys,

I have noticed a slight screeching noise like "chiri chiri" :rolleyes: when i accelerate my car with the AC on. It is only when i step on the pedal and during the acceleration. It so far has happened with the AC on. I just went for a test driver with the AC off and no such noise came. May be coincidence or may be something to do with the AC.

Any advice? (car is a petrol vvti engine)

14 answers to this question

Guys,

I have noticed a slight screeching noise like "chiri chiri" :rolleyes: when i accelerate my car with the AC on. It is only when i step on the pedal and during the acceleration. It so far has happened with the AC on. I just went for a test driver with the AC off and no such noise came. May be coincidence or may be something to do with the AC.

must be something to do with the AC belt!

if it's old/worn or a tad bit loose...tends to make that whine/screechy noise...

Guys,

check your belts/pulleys. dunno abt the 1500cc setup i think there should be 2 belts.

Edited by Ruslan

Thanks guys, i will get the belts and the pulley checked. Is it very costly if i have to replace the belts and/or pulleys? any recommended place? im going over the weekend to toyota lanka to get a diagnostic, so is it better to get it done there or would it be too expensive

Thanks

Thanks guys, i will get the belts and the pulley checked. Is it very costly if i have to replace the belts and/or pulleys? any recommended place? im going over the weekend to toyota lanka to get a diagnostic, so is it better to get it done there or would it be too expensive

Thanks

At Toyota lanka, belt will cost you around close to 5-6000/-. it's the same "Mitsuboshi" branded belt. which is the OEM supplier to Toyota. so you better get it from outside reputed spare part outlet (matching Mitsuboshi belt) and get it replaced at local mech. I'm not sure but in my corolla it's single belt (1800CC uses a single belt but in 1500CC i think it's 2 belts, not sure). before hand make sure that it is the belts that make the noise :rolleyes:

Edited by Ruslan

At Toyota lanka, belt will cost you around close to 5-6000/-. it's the same "Mitsuboshi" branded belt. which is the OEM supplier to Toyota. so you better get it from outside reputed spare part outlet (matching Mitsuboshi belt) and get it replaced at local mech. I'm not sure but in my corolla it's single belt (1800CC uses a single belt but in 1500CC i think it's 2 belts, not sure). before hand make sure that it is the belts that make the noise :rolleyes:

Machan I have seen Mechanics pour a little bit of water on to the belts while the engine is runnig. Once I asked one of them they told me if the screechy noise changes when water is pourd its due to worn out belts :unsure:

Machan I have seen Mechanics pour a little bit of water on to the belts while the engine is runnig. Once I asked one of them they told me if the screechy noise changes when water is pourd its due to worn out belts :unsure:

quite true, even i'm doing this to distinguish belt noises. Was afraid putting it across because newer car engines and water doesn't go together and one should be carefull only to use few droplets directly to the belt.

quite true, even i'm doing this to distinguish belt noises. Was afraid putting it across because newer car engines and water doesn't go together and one should be carefull only to use few droplets directly to the belt.

So if it is not worn out belts, it could be either the tensioners or a loose belt, am i right?. The issue is i started to hear the noise after my first service since buying the car, Could the belt have got loose due to some function performed during the services? (the only major thing i got done except for oil and oil filter changes was to do a coolant flush)

Thanks

Just remembered, i also put the car to a full exterior and interior grooming package at P*IT S*OP, which includes engine glazing. Could it be because of the glaze on the belts? if so what could be the solution?

Check your belts for any cracks, missing parts (on groves) if yes, then it's time for new set of belts. i think your car equipped with self adjusting belt tensioner that doesn't require to manually adjust. if not, slight adjusting will help you with the noise. and remember, if the drive belt is loosen, it will affect of your cars charging system, AC etc as well.

Edited by Ruslan

So if it is not worn out belts, it could be either the tensioners or a loose belt, am i right?. The issue is i started to hear the noise after my first service since buying the car, Could the belt have got loose due to some function performed during the services? (the only major thing i got done except for oil and oil filter changes was to do a coolant flush)

Thanks

if its not worn out belts i can think of many other, but first to suspect the bearings on A/C pulley. But that cannot be an overnight development esp after a service. Have you washed the engine bay and engine? if so, something to do with the chemicals used and rubber belt.

Just a comment to this, People talk like water is allergic to newer petrol engines but its not entirely true. Its not good if water goes inside sensors, sensors are fully sealed to outside but better be careful if the vehicle is old. And you can wash it with normal tap water without putting pressure. I have done it with Toyotas and you can do this with lot of Japanese babies but better careful with Korean and other brands. And dont make it a habit.

Just a comment to this, People talk like water is allergic to newer petrol engines but its not entirely true. Its not good if water goes inside sensors, sensors are fully sealed to outside but better be careful if the vehicle is old. And you can wash it with normal tap water without putting pressure. I have done it with Toyotas and you can do this with lot of Japanese babies but better careful with Korean and other brands. And dont make it a habit.

general advise is not to wash the engine bay with water and is applicable when it comes to old engines if we think of extremes, simple reason is even the ditributor and coil are prone to unwanted problems when it comes to washing with water. I learnt my lesson hard way after letting the service center (a reputed place) to wash the engine bay of my 406 and i bearly escaped a costly ECU replacement. Simple question, why you risk/compromise the electronics in the engine compartment simply for a nice look inside the engine bay? not worth it, in my experience. Not only electronics but there can be some other rust prone parts where we expedite the process by adding one more component needed in rusting process, h2o vapour. No harm in not washing the engine bay and i haven't done it for more than 2 years, no one complains except myself who puts hand into engine bay every other weekend. :rolleyes:

general advise is not to wash the engine bay with water and is applicable when it comes to old engines if we think of extremes, simple reason is even the ditributor and coil are prone to unwanted problems when it comes to washing with water. I learnt my lesson hard way after letting the service center (a reputed place) to wash the engine bay of my 406 and i bearly escaped a costly ECU replacement. Simple question, why you risk/compromise the electronics in the engine compartment simply for a nice look inside the engine bay? not worth it, in my experience. Not only electronics but there can be some other rust prone parts where we expedite the process by adding one more component needed in rusting process, h2o vapour. No harm in not washing the engine bay and i haven't done it for more than 2 years, no one complains except myself who puts hand into engine bay every other weekend. :rolleyes:

using sensibly directed air to clean is a far better option