• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Subaru Legacy B4 (1999-2001)

RLan

Hi guys,

I'm thinking of getting a Subaru Legacy B4 (Twin turbo) as my main car. I greatly appreciate if any of you guys who have used Legacys before give me a hand on this. I'd like to know.

(1.) How is the fuel consumption like?

(2.) Is it a reliable car?

(3.) Difficult to maintain?

(4.) Is servicing expensive?

(5.) How much is the market price for a used car (1999-2003)

(6.) Where can I see some used B4s for sale?

(7.) Anything else that you think I should check for?

Thanks in advance.

Romesh

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys,

I'm thinking of getting a Subaru Legacy B4 (Twin turbo) as my main car. I greatly appreciate if any of you guys who have used Legacys before give me a hand on this. I'd like to know.

Thanks in advance.

Romesh

Ok, I have a single-turbo converted B4.

1. I get around 7-8 in col. Veeeeeeeeeeeeeery light-footed driving. 10+ out-station. However, if I let her have her own way, I have also emptied a full tank of fuel with Tolouene in 20 mts. :D That's a 60L tank mind you.

2. Yes. As long as you find a car that has been maintained properly.

3. Well, it all really depends on what kind of a person you are. If like me, when you hear the slightest rattle or most indistinct noise you run to the agents then yes it could be a bit of a problem. Then again, I have been like that with all my cars.

4. At the agents, which is the only place I go to, no. Replacement of parts, yes. Again, Subaru cars are very reliable and if taken care of properly with the services done at the proper mileages, they will give you no more headaches than a Toyota.

5. A B4 TT I'd expect would go for about 2.3. One of the Captain's in my airline had a mint B4 TT with about 35K on the clock which he sold for the same about 5-6 months ago.

6. No idea mate. Sorry.

7. Once you find a car, take it to Senok and get a thorough check-up done and make sure the records are current. I'd stay well away from any Subaru that had not been maintained by the agents.

Hi guys,

Thanks in advance.

Romesh

Was considering the same mate....but i feel it may be just out of my reach though :(

there r 2 B4's a TT & a non turbo on AL.....did u chk them out? link below there was another Silver B4 at a place in Kohuwala, it's regularly advertised on the Hitad.

also would there be a noticeable reduction in the fuel consumption if it was a non-turbo?

http://www.autolanka.com/ad.asp?ID=12692

Edited by EXMAC

STi B4,

Thanks very much for the excellent info. I'm little bit worried if it's a Twin Turbo, it'd be even worse, I mean, fuel economy. One of my friends told me that TT only does like 5kml. :( Bit worried that I might have to go with a Honda ES8.

EXMAC,

I haven't actually called the ones in the AL. (I better) I'm actually looking for a stock car without mods. (preferably without the spoiler).

"also would there be a noticeable reduction in the fuel consumption if it was a non-turbo?"

I think so.

5-6km/L is about the best you can hope for, from a twin-turbo B4. Also you'll be restricted to 95oct petrol and even this is sub-standard for the car as 98oct is specified. As for the non-turbo models, I wouldn't think they'd do much better on gas, being that they are still very heavy cars and the NA engine is under-powered in that respect.

STi B4,

Thanks very much for the excellent info. I'm little bit worried if it's a Twin Turbo, it'd be even worse, I mean, fuel economy. One of my friends told me that TT only does like 5kml. :( Bit worried that I might have to go with a Honda ES8.

EXMAC,

I haven't actually called the ones in the AL. (I better) I'm actually looking for a stock car without mods. (preferably without the spoiler).

"also would there be a noticeable reduction in the fuel consumption if it was a non-turbo?"

I think so.

Like I said, I get 7-8 in col (at the moment but after a month or two that is going to drastically change! :unsure: ) but then again mine is a single turbo convert. Even a TT should give you over 5 for sure. It all depends on the condition of the car. Case being for any vehicle!

Like I said, I get 7-8 in col (at the moment but after a month or two that is going to drastically change! :unsure: ) but then again mine is a single turbo convert. Even a TT should give you over 5 for sure. It all depends on the condition of the car. Case being for any vehicle!

I hate to change the topic. I was aiming on B4-TT as well, until 5-6Km/l came up. I was thinking it would do better than that. My other choice is Premiera TP-12. anybody knows the fuel consump. on these vehicles. again sorry to change the topic...

15751_1220931497762_1663193409_560676_34

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Edited by GihanFX

LazyBoy, cheers for the feedback.

STi B4, hmmmmmm. :unsure:

nissmoz, funny enough, I was considering the TP12 as well. But my expert (or so-called) friends in here discouraged me so much that I don't even look at them anymore. (I wonder why those cars are built in the first place.) A friend who's once got it for hire (2 weeks) told me that it does like 7-8Kml. But he told me that the car is comfortable, good handling and powerful.

GihanFX, forgive me for my ignorance, but what on earth is that? Anything that speeds your car up?

RLan,

On what grounds you got discouraged on TP-12 ?

Subaru B4,

what is the main difference between HP-12 and TP-12. ?

sorry, not sure about the local market. I'm in USA right now and planing on moving back soon...

nissmoz, they say if the CVT gear box fails it's gonna cost a fortune to get it back in shape. And suspension and stuff wears off faster than other cars. :blink: Those stuff are what I've heard, not my personal experiences. May be I better look at few examples when I'm going to look for B4s.

As far as I know HP12 is allround better car than TP12. May be someone more knowledgable could enlighten us.

I see the drastic change right there....!!! It's called.... the 'GFX effect' on humans..! :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

GihanFX, forgive me for my ignorance, but what on earth is that? Anything that speeds your car up?

few engine upgrade parts for the B4

Mayb an expensive upgrade. Crower cams, Greddy E-Manage ...etc :blink:

+ Titanium Retainers, cosworth high pressure oil pump, after market pistons, rods ,bearings , t belt, cams, etc

I dont know why people keep bashing the TP-12, its a bang for buck car IMO- its 'Cost of ownership' is very similar to Jap luxury car in the same bracket.

Anyway have you considered a HP12?

Elvis_Pil, do you know much an HP12 would be? And do they come with manual gearboxes? Cheers.