• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Are There Any Local Racing Events Happening Soon?

m3cAnIx

• 4 months later...

Me too heard of a race around Kandy, saw it somewhere on the forum too IIRC

as i heard it is on march 10 and 11 but i am not 100% sure about it.

Edited by nexus
  • Like 1

Kandy Night races, qualifying on friday and race on saturday. Starting at 1900 hours apparently SLGT and SLH 1600's are running.. Dunno how accurate the info is.

Kandy Night races, qualifying on friday and race on saturday. Starting at 1900 hours apparently SLGT and SLH 1600's are running.. Dunno how accurate the info is.

Sunday Times News - Sunday March 06, 2011 - http://www.sundaytimes.lk/110306/News/nws_26.html

Spoke in wheel for Kandy night motor race

By L. B. Senaratne

A night-time motor race in Kandy, scheduled for next Saturday, may not take place if the Public Property Protection Society has its way. The race, for which roads will have to be closed to the public, has drawn sharp criticism of the organisers and the Kandy Police.

Municipal Council member Anura Gonawela told the Sunday Times that the organisers. the Sri Lanka Motorcycle Club and the Kandy Offroad Adventure Club backed by Sports Minister Mahindananda Aluthgamage and other influential government supporters, should have obtained prior permission from the Kandy Municipality. He said the historic city of Kandy was not a suitable venue for this type of' “play.”

The route for the night race includes Peradeniya Road, Colombo Street, Yatinuwara Veediya, Kande Veediya, D. S. Senanayake Veediya, and Sangharaja Mawatha. A part of George E. de Silva Mawatha, the starting point for the race, will also be closed.

He said the historic city of Kandy was not a suitable venue for this type of' "play."

Whenever we're about to have some fun, some idiot will come along and try to ruin it mad.gif This is a damn boring place which is dead after 7pm, so we need more life to it, can't just call it historic and keep it in the dark ages!

Same thing happened to the Kandy Offroad Adventure Club the other day, they were just exhibiting the 4X4s in front of the KCC when the police came and told them to move out AFAIK :(

Edit - News just in, Yoshitha Rajapaksha has been spotted practicing the route a while back :) So guess the event is on after all, maybe along with a little intervention from above...

Edited by BLu3HaZe
  • Like 1

Sunday Times News - Sunday March 06, 2011 - http://www.sundaytimes.lk/110306/News/nws_26.html

Spoke in wheel for Kandy night motor race

By L. B. Senaratne

A night-time motor race in Kandy, scheduled for next Saturday, may not take place if the Public Property Protection Society has its way. The race, for which roads will have to be closed to the public, has drawn sharp criticism of the organisers and the Kandy Police.

Municipal Council member Anura Gonawela told the Sunday Times that the organisers. the Sri Lanka Motorcycle Club and the Kandy Offroad Adventure Club backed by Sports Minister Mahindananda Aluthgamage and other influential government supporters, should have obtained prior permission from the Kandy Municipality. He said the historic city of Kandy was not a suitable venue for this type of' “play.”

The route for the night race includes Peradeniya Road, Colombo Street, Yatinuwara Veediya, Kande Veediya, D. S. Senanayake Veediya, and Sangharaja Mawatha. A part of George E. de Silva Mawatha, the starting point for the race, will also be closed.

hey thanks milano340 :)

Whenever we're about to have some fun, some idiot will come along and try to ruin it mad.gifThis is a damn boring place which is dead after 7pm, so we need more life to it, can't just call it historic and keep it in the dark ages!

Same thing happened to the Kandy Offroad Adventure Club the other day, they were just exhibiting the 4X4s in front of the KCC when the police came and told them to move out AFAIK :(

Edit - News just in, Yoshitha Rajapaksha has been spotted practicing the route a while back :) So guess the event is on after all, maybe along with a little intervention from above...

you are correct BLu3HaZe but majority of people doesn't feel the same way as we feel here :mellow:

you are correct BLu3HaZe but majority of people doesn't feel the same way as we feel here :mellow:

This is gonna be great.. but I am worrying about safety, because some of the mentioned streets are very narrow, like "Yatinuwara Veediya". Any way.. I'm gonna see the entire thing. Any idea of exact route, because i'm hoping to bring my camera too :jumping-smiley-013:

This is gonna be great.. but I am worrying about safety, because some of the mentioned streets are very narrow, like "Yatinuwara Veediya". Any way.. I'm gonna see the entire thing. Any idea of exact route, because i'm hoping to bring my camera too :jumping-smiley-013:

At first what I heard from someone was, route would be like, Dalada veediya > Torington/KCC entrance road > Clock tower > Yatinuwara veediya (straight stretch) > D.S.Senanayaka veediya > (Frm Dialog. to HSBC) Kotugodella veediya > King street > End near Quenns hotel. But dnt kno how it is now...

• Like 1

Yatinuwara Veediya isn't that narrow, it's got 3 lanes after all and can easily hit 140 at night on a normal car safely too. Only problem is the bend at the end of it near the muslim church, cuz beyond 80 it slides so we'd probably see some drifting or slow cornering there. But they've lined up the road with a few sandbags though I doubt it'd stop a car from crashing into SSCK, yet at the bend they've put a lot of bags like a bunker so maybe that'd be effective.

Anyway, how are you planning to watch the entire thing and take pics?? The roads will be closed for public so can't go behind in cars or bikes, won't be able to drive in the city anyway. And obviously can't run everywhere.. I too am hoping to come, maybe a few AL members can meet up? :)

At first what I heard from someone was, route would be like, Dalada veediya > Torington/KCC entrance road > Clock tower > Yatinuwara veediya (straight stretch) > D.S.Senanayaka veediya > (Frm Dialog. to HSBC) Kotugodella veediya > King street > End near Quenns hotel. But dnt kno how it is now...

Thanks! Saw they'd fitted extra large lamps like flood lights on lamp posts along those roads too, and sure about the ones in bold.

PS - It'd be like NFS Underground though, a grid and a maze of straights :)

Edited by BLu3HaZe

Anyway, how are you planning to watch the entire thing and take pics?? The roads will be closed for public so can't go behind in cars or bikes, won't be able to drive in the city anyway. And obviously can't run everywhere.. I too am hoping to come, maybe a few AL members can meet up? :)

Thanks! Saw they'd fitted extra large lamps like flood lights on lamp posts along those roads too, and sure about the ones in bold.

PS - It'd be like NFS Underground though, a grid and a maze of straights :)

What times roads gonna closed? is this gonna pass the Sinha regiment and SSCK, If i can get inside office early morning then i'll be able to watch from inside the track.

i agree with you BLu3HaZe. if you guys going to meet up let me know :)

Edited by nexus

What times roads gonna closed? is this gonna pass the Sinha regiment and SSCK, If i can get inside office early morning then i'll be able to watch from inside the track.

No idea about what time roads will be closed but I bet from morning onwards if qualifications are in the morning and the actual races at night. And yes, it's going to pass them both but I'm not sure in what direction, though from the looks of it can say it'd be in the usual way away from Dalada Veediya.

You're not planning to be stuck in your office the whole day are you? unsure.gif Hope we can see some glowing brake disks and get some good pics of them.

i agree with you BLu3HaZe. if you guys going to meet up let me know :)

I'm in if you all are meeting up, someone name a place :)

Edited by BLu3HaZe

No idea about what time roads will be closed but I bet from morning onwards if qualifications are in the morning and the actual races at night. And yes, it's going to pass them both but I'm not sure in what direction, though from the looks of it can say it'd be in the usual way away from Dalada Veediya.

You're not planning to be stuck in your office the whole day are you? unsure.gif Hope we can see some glowing brake disks and get some good pics of them.

I'm in if you all are meeting up, someone name a place :)

Ok guys.. just got confirmation from a police source, roads will be closed from Friday night. Most likely after office crowd go home. And some unverified source said presidents son has been practicing last night or day before. It seems we can have some decent crowd for the event.

If you guys meet let me know. its not gonna easy to find good spot since pavements are very narrow.

Edited by MkX
  • Like 1

Ok guys.. just got confirmation from a police source, roads will be closed from Friday night. Most likely after office crowd go home. And some unverified source said presidents son has been practicing last night or day before. It seems we can have some decent crowd for the event.

If you guys meet let me know. its not gonna easy to find good spot since pavements are very narrow.

Heard the same, but how exactly are we going to move into the city? Have to park on the outskirts and walk the rest? Me too got unverified info on YR yesterday.

The Dalada Veediya has a good pavement as it was newly done up for the World Cup right?

Btw, anyone know if the events are finalized and application deadline over or not? If not, please tell of how to apply as there is a friend of mine who wants to compete.

Kandy is all set to stage the first-ever street night racing in Sri Lanka, named ‘Kandy Speed at Night 2011’, jointly organised by the Sri Lankan Motorcycle Club and the Kandy Off-Road Adventure Club, is to be conducted in the heart of the city of Kandy on Sat., March 12. The official practices for grid positions will be held on March 11. The race is expected to commence at 8 p.m.

This was disclosed by the Joint President, Kandy Off-Road Adventure Club, Chula Ratwatte at a media briefing held at the Club Office recently. Also associated at this briefing was Joint President Thusith de Silva, Secretary Rohan Dhammapala, Dhammika Bambaradeniya, M. Ziaffudin and others.

Giving a big hand in organising this maiden event is the Minister of Sports, Mahindananda Aluthgamage, Chief Minister of Central Province Sarath Ekanayake, Kandy District parliamentarians Lohan Ratwatte, Dilum Amunugama and one of the prime movers of the event, Nilanga Dela Bandara, the Diyawadana Nileme of the Sri Dalada Maligava. Without their efforts, the organising of this major motor racing event would have been not possible and it may cost the organisers around Rs.10 million.

There will be a strict crowd control system with the help of the Kandy Police, headed by DIG A. Gammanpila and the Army and other officials. Chula Ratwatta said that the idea to conduct this event during night is to create a race-related carnival atmosphere. This will be a mass start circuit meet held under the National Sporting Code of the Sri Lanka Automobile Sports (SLAS) and the Sri Lanka Motor Cycle Sports Federation (SIMCSF).

The events, which have been lined for this unique racing meet, are:

MOTOR CYCLES

Group ‘O’ Standard

1. Standard up to 125 cc (Two Stroke)

2. Standard up to 125 cc (Four Stroke)

3. Standard up to 250 cc (Four Stroke)

Group R - Thoroughbred Racing and Modified Motor Cycles

4. Racing and Modified up to 125 cc.

5. Racing and Modified between 600 cc and 1000 cc.

Group SM

6. Super Motard up to 250 cc

7. Super Motard Open

MOTOR CARS

Group SL-N

8. Nissan March One Make event up to 1000 cc

9. Ford Laser / Mazda event 1300 cc

10. Ford Laser – Mazda event up to 1500 cc

Group SL-A

11. Mini 7 up to 1000 cc

12. Modified up to 1050 cc

13. Modified up to 1400 cc

Group SL-H

14. Up to 1600 cc (Subject to approval by SLAS)

Group SL-GH

15. Up to 3500 cc (Subject to approval by the SLAS)

Group SL – F Formula cars

16. Standard Formula Ford 1600 cc

17. Formula McLarens 1300 cc.

This is going to be very interesting!! :D