• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Ac Usage

Uditha88

Hi,

Car has climate control (Automatic) Air Conditioner.

We used to switch it OFF-ON when we are traveling.

Whenever we feel comfortable, switch OFF and ON back after bit hot.

[Do so for 2 reasons: AC is enough and good for fuel]

My Questions:

1. Is this a good practice? Does this hurt the AC Unit.

2. Does this save fuel?

Thanks...

If you maintain a constant temp of 22-24 it will be ideal for both passengers and the car in general.

In sri lankan conditions there is no way a car AC can do 18 (min temp) setting, this will only cause the compressor to be engaged all the time, using up more fuel and cooling the interior to an uncomfortable level at times.

By keeping at a comfortable setting, the compressor has to work at a minimum level to keep the inside cool and you will not feel that cold on the long run.

Also, I as a habit switch off the AC, but keep the blower on during the last 2-3 minutes of the journey as it will dry up any condensation that was built up during the usage and prolong the life of the cooler inside the dashboard.

and it help to keep my glasses from fogging also... ;)

If you maintain a constant temp of 22-24 it will be ideal for both passengers and the car in general.

In sri lankan conditions there is no way a car AC can do 18 (min temp) setting, this will only cause the compressor to be engaged all the time, using up more fuel and cooling the interior to an uncomfortable level at times.

By keeping at a comfortable setting, the compressor has to work at a minimum level to keep the inside cool and you will not feel that cold on the long run.

Also, I as a habit switch off the AC, but keep the blower on during the last 2-3 minutes of the journey as it will dry up any condensation that was built up during the usage and prolong the life of the cooler inside the dashboard.

and it help to keep my glasses from fogging also... ;)

Exactly ....ela kollek..dats da best answer....!! i also switch off the cooler and keep the blower on for a while before i stop the car...it surely saves up the Evaporator (cooling coil) by blowing off the chilled condensed ice clogs and any wet deposits....also keeping a 22-23C heating temp..it saves the compressor wear too..by giving some time to thermo-stat switch to engage / disengage the compressor ......

Hi,

Car has climate control (Automatic) Air Conditioner.

We used to switch it OFF-ON when we are traveling.

Whenever we feel comfortable, switch OFF and ON back after bit hot.

[Do so for 2 reasons: AC is enough and good for fuel]

My Questions:

1. Is this a good practice? Does this hurt the AC Unit.

2. Does this save fuel?

Thanks...

Hi,

If you have climate control why are you switching the AC on and off?? If you set the desired temperature the AC will engage and disengage when its needed to maintain a constant temperature. When it disengages it stops the compressor and only the blower is on and even then the blower will speed up/slow down to maintain the temperature.

to answer your questions:

1. If you have climate control what you are doing is unnecessary I think. I dont see that it will damage the AC. Maybe only wear out the on/off switch :P

2. Every time the AC is off it will increase fuel economy. Generally I think its atleast 10% (depends on hot hot cos the AC will work more). But again if you have climate control the AC will do this for you automatically to maintain the temperature so there is no need for you to do it manually.