• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Handling Of Toyota Corolla 121

JAFF

Well, lets see if I can change your mind on that this weekend ;)

dude yous is not exactly a sedan ne! and that too not a average daily runner car :P

i was referring to cars like fb15's, n16's which are more comparable to corollas :)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whaa? But its a factory standard car.

a factory standard hatch! :P so how can we compare it with a sedan :P

i dont think it's fair to compare a vzr with a corolla...

a sunny vs a corolla now that makes sense!

a factory standard hatch! :P so how can we compare it with a sedan :P

i dont think it's fair to compare a vzr with a corolla...

a sunny vs a corolla now that makes sense!

Actually, I wanted you to compare it to the Mazda3 :)

Actually, I wanted you to compare it to the Mazda3 :)

hmm...in that case...looking forward to it :)

gotta say the single biggest thing i like about the 3 is that the nicely weighted steering :)

At high speeds, (I'd say over 120kmph) 121 handling is pretty bad. Obviously, just my humble opinion being a non-race driver.

what do you think the reason is??? if the handling is bad at 120kmph, then how come it is possible to drive on a highway in Japan or in other countries?

what do you think the reason is??? if the handling is bad at 120kmph, then how come it is possible to drive on a highway in Japan or in other countries?

Since no one has said anything yet, I may as well.

Dude, for highways, you don't need handling. You need high speed stability. You don't need highly responsive steering or suspension coz you don't need to change direction quickly. Highways tend to be more or less straight, with very gentle curves. I'm sure the Corolla will manage fine bobbing and wallowing around on highways.

At high speeds, (I'd say over 120kmph) 121 handling is pretty bad. Obviously, just my humble opinion being a non-race driver.

hmm...not many family sedans would "handle" well at those speeds IMHO :)

Mazda 3 handles well at that speed, even a Proton Waja and european vehicles such as Peugeot 406,VW Bora,etc

But these vehicles are not economical as Corolla when it comes to fuel :) thats the main plus point of Corolla

Mazda 3 handles well at that speed, even a Proton Waja and european vehicles such as Peugeot 406,VW Bora,etc

But these vehicles are not economical as Corolla when it comes to fuel :) thats the main plus point of Corolla

how would you describe "handling"???

most euro cars are quite different in their suspension setup etc so it's not really comparable..

i'm really interested to know what you call "handling" in a waja at 120kmh :)

Since no one has said anything yet, I may as well.

Dude, for highways, you don't need handling. You need high speed stability. You don't need highly responsive steering or suspension coz you don't need to change direction quickly. Highways tend to be more or less straight, with very gentle curves. I'm sure the Corolla will manage fine bobbing and wallowing around on highways.

Nice explanation. I couldn't have replied any better.

how would you describe "handling"???

most euro cars are quite different in their suspension setup etc so it's not really comparable..

i'm really interested to know what you call "handling" in a waja at 120kmh :)

well...... im referring to the stability of the car

Interesting post after all those boring, "What to buy for 2m, N16 or Carina" Posts :D

I would like to poke my 2cents worth here.

EPS does not HAVE to be light. If for example you drive a new Fiat you will note that they are weightier than the Corolla by some margin.

The thing with EPS though is that it fails to convey what the car is up to unlike a Hydraulic set up. The car feels even more remote from the driver. However I must add that cars like Corollas and Sunnys hardly did do the job when they had hydraulic systems as well. It's a matter of what the manufacturers/developers priorities are. More testing and fine tuning means more cost and these cars are not aimed at the driving enthusiast.

Many manufacturers are working on new systems to counter this feel-less effect of EPS. VW and Fiat claim to have developed already.

IMHO most cars actually do quite well at those speeds. Its after 140 kmph or so that you start noticing differences. The Corolla does quite well on the highway at 120, and I really like the Matrix which is based on the same 121 platform. Its a really nice car to drive; the driving position and steering are really well sorted. The interior dash etc. lets it down though.

Edited by Kavvz

IMHO most cars actually do quite well at those speeds. Its after 140 kmph or so that you start noticing differences. The Corolla does quite well on the highway at 120, and I really like the Matrix which is based on the same 121 platform. Its a really nice car to drive; the driving position and steering are really well sorted. The interior dash etc. lets it down though.

JAFF said over 120Kmph and i would love to see a matrix cornering at that speed and for the drive to come out and say it handles well :P

same goes for the Waja JAFF was talking about...

IMHO not many family sedans in SL market will "handle" well over 120...

but normal highway driving in most straight lines many cars would do just fine...

as Peri found out yesterday, even my 93 sprinter can go over 100-110 in straight line without major issues...with 3 people on board mind you...

IMO... "handling" comes when you have to corner...and many family sedans in SL market...in that 121 bracket doesn't like corners :)

and as always...i can be wrong and in this instance i'd love to be wrong and find out which sedan can corner and handle well over 120 :P

JAFF said over 120Kmph and i would love to see a matrix cornering at that speed and for the drive to come out and say it handles well :P

but normal highway driving in most straight lines many cars would do just fine...

as Peri found out yesterday, even my 93 sprinter can go over 100-110 in straight line without major issues...with 3 people on board mind you...

IMO... "handling" comes when you have to corner...and many family sedans in SL market...in that 121 bracket doesn't like corners :)

and as always...i can be wrong and in this instance i'd love to be wrong and find out which sedan can corner and handle well over 120 :P

as Ripper pointed out handling and keep up on a straight line or on a highway is different. Handling is well applicable for SL road conditions where there are pot holes everywhere and ripples and uneven, un predictable humps and bumps here and there and you end up with painful eyes as a result of keep an eye on those. So a sedan which can keep up to 140 or 160 in highways might struggle in this terrain. I've maxed out the 406 on Colombo - Piliyandala road that is only 130 or 135 (couldn't properly look at the speedo as car was that shaky) and beyond 120, handling wasn't of satisfactory, i'm sure if a corolla runs at 120 on the same road it might end up air borning on one of nasty bumps you encounter, leaving corners aside.

as Ripper pointed out handling and keep up on a straight line or on a highway is different. Handling is well applicable for SL road conditions where there are pot holes everywhere and ripples and uneven, un predictable humps and bumps here and there and you end up with painful eyes as a result of keep an eye on those. So a sedan which can keep up to 140 or 160 in highways might struggle in this terrain. I've maxed out the 406 on Colombo - Piliyandala road that is only 130 or 135 (couldn't properly look at the speedo as car was that shaky) and beyond 120, handling wasn't of satisfactory, i'm sure if a corolla runs at 120 on the same road it might end up air borning on one of nasty bumps you encounter, leaving corners aside.

lolz, easy gentleman. I'm referring to highway driving as well and make no claims as per this high performance cornering business!

lolz, easy gentleman. I'm referring to highway driving as well and make no claims as per this high performance cornering business!

well in that case...many many cars can go straight on good roads at well over 140 without any issues...

i've done over 140 in the road that runs parallel to galle face...

even with that two slight bends in my 93 sprinter without much hassle...

only once i've turned complete 180 trying to take an almost 90 turn slightly over 70....

my rear wheels completely lost traction as the front dug in sending me to a spin...

i haven't done these speeds on a 121 but if an ae100 can do it...chances are the 121 can do it...

and i'm puzzled as to why so many people seem to mis understanding the term "handling" :)

you can't call straight line highway speeding handling...

i'm sure those huge trucks you get in states too does well over 120kmh with good stability but that can't be called handling :P

Let's do our own test..

find a nice straight strip of private road, Gather up some cars, one from each make and to a zig zag (or what ever u call it) with a cone obstacle track..

if we can find a place...this is a super idea :)

lolz I'm not making any claims as per the high performance handling characteristics of ANY car (A big so-sorry-so-sad, to all you buggers who took your 121's and tried to do 360's at 120kmph over the weekend and crashed). My driving is limited to regular joe stuff on the highway, and I'm not sure about how a 121 or Matrix handles in the twisties or on B roads; as that's not within my driving experience. What I wanted to say was that most regular sedans, even the ones at the econo-box end, do pretty okay on the highway at around 120 or so and that one of my favourite rides in the segment is the Matrix which is based on the 121.

:)

and i'm puzzled as to why so many people seem to mis understanding the term "handling" :)

you can't call straight line highway speeding handling...

i'm sure those huge trucks you get in states too does well over 120kmh with good stability but that can't be called handling :P

But manoeuvring around the said trucks at speed is handling no? Oh wait... sorry; on the last ticket I got, I think that ended up being defined as 'aggressive driving while failing to observe the posted speed limit' ;)

Edited by Kavvz