• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Has Any One Bought Anything From E Bay ?

Sumiya

as for delivery dates,a miracle happened last month...i ordered fifa 10 from a seller from the UK and it came in FIVE DAYS!!!...i'm not lying...honest!

Yeah, different shipping options. Believe me or not, i got an exhaust part on the 3rd day after I made the payment, and it was via UPS, and the funny thing was the delivery guy called me and asked for directions to our place and the guy carried the item and traveled in a bus and delivered it to me lol. No fancy tax nor delivery charge, i gave the guy a 300/= as a tip :D

Ha ha calm down man, that addition of urs, It really made me laugh...
ah if thats the case then no worries...but you'll have to forgive me for being a little too harsh because usually when someone posts the "rollseyes" smiley it's meant to convey disbelief...anyways my apologies.

Yeah, different shipping options. Believe me or not, i got an exhaust part on the 3rd day after I made the payment, and it was via UPS, and the funny thing was the delivery guy called me and asked for directions to our place and the guy carried the item and traveled in a bus and delivered it to me lol. No fancy tax nor delivery charge, i gave the guy a 300/= as a tip :D
no no machan this was the standard post,nothing fancy and no agency involved...the shipping cost was 5 dollars,usually this takes about 3 to 4 weeks to arrive from the same seller...nearly fainted when it arrived after just 5 days...lol...

I've sent packages up to 15kg (maximum allowed is 30kg I believe) via USPS (US post). Those days the cheapest option used to be to send it by sea via China, but they no longer do that (used to take upto 3 months!). Nowadays the cheapest option (still expensive, based on weight) is via USPS Airmail. Mostly I send books and stuff and there is never a tax on those, though I have to pick it up at the Central Mail. A friend once got down a Laptop from the States and took MasterDon's strategy of "doing the loser," and got away paying about 2k in taxes. I think it's only when you bring down large consignments, or stuff like electric guitars etc. that you get hit by the crazy duties on electronic goods. Otherwise you're mostly OK, but make sure whichever Ebay seller gets the option of Tracking the package if it's being sent by normal USPS, as you will otherwise have no way of knowing if the parcel got lost.

I've sent packages up to 15kg (maximum allowed is 30kg I believe) via USPS (US post). Those days the cheapest option used to be to send it by sea via China, but they no longer do that (used to take upto 3 months!). Nowadays the cheapest option (still expensive, based on weight) is via USPS Airmail. Mostly I send books and stuff and there is never a tax on those, though I have to pick it up at the Central Mail. A friend once got down a Laptop from the States and took MasterDon's strategy of "doing the loser," and got away paying about 2k in taxes. I think it's only when you bring down large consignments, or stuff like electric guitars etc. that you get hit by the crazy duties on electronic goods. Otherwise you're mostly OK, but make sure whichever Ebay seller gets the option of Tracking the package if it's being sent by normal USPS, as you will otherwise have no way of knowing if the parcel got lost.

Sir,

I have got down lot from E bay I have had no problem with them through UPS AREMEX and FEDEX.

At Central post office EMS if you know some one or you can get away Like Master dons great tact tics with a less tax but you have to waste time their At Central post office EMS is very cheap.

UPS is the most expensive but the best service you can tract your parcel on the WEB.They will deliver to your door step.

3 to 5 days time UPS deliver their goods depending on flights.

Some times I pay in Srilanka for Freight with Fedex and Aramex. if shipper Quote high.

Wijesinghe.

A friend once got down a Laptop from the States and took MasterDon's strategy of "doing the loser," and got away paying about 2k in taxes. I think it's only when you bring down large consignments, or stuff like electric guitars etc. that you get hit by the crazy duties on electronic goods. Otherwise you're mostly OK, but make sure whichever Ebay seller gets the option of Tracking the package if it's being sent by normal USPS, as you will otherwise have no way of knowing if the parcel got lost.

I got a netbook, 750/= :P

Btw USPS tracking is not that accurate, atleast for SL maybe

Sir,

I have got down lot from E bay I have had no problem with them through UPS AREMEX and FEDEX.

At Central post office EMS if you know some one or you can get away Like Master dons great tact tics with a less tax but you have to waste time their At Central post office EMS is very cheap.

UPS is the most expensive but the best service you can tract your parcel on the WEB.They will deliver to your door step.

3 to 5 days time UPS deliver their goods depending on flights.

Some times I pay in Srilanka for Freight with Fedex and Aramex. if shipper Quote high.

Wijesinghe.

That's all well and good, but I think you need to learn how to use the Quote button, without replying to the last post on the thread. At first I thought you were replying to me.

Hi Guys,

A friend of mine told me that pay pal do not recognize Sri Lanka as a "Pay Pal Valid country/ Address". So some sellers do not accept payments made through pay pal for a Sri Lankan address. Is it true? (I never had any experience with e-bay so far... :()

Hi Guys,

A friend of mine told me that pay pal do not recognize Sri Lanka as a "Pay Pal Valid country/ Address". So some sellers do not accept payments made through pay pal for a Sri Lankan address. Is it true? (I never had any experience with e-bay so far... :()

Pay pal not recognized used to be the case, but not any more. Some sellers not accepting, possible. Just coz they are on ebay doesn't mean they are international. Plenty of e-bay outlets that only operate within certain territories.

Does someone baught any thing related to Remote Controls. I'm thinking of buying a RC transmitter and a reciver, bt ppl say that customs will detain such items, saying such items are not allowed. Is it true?

Does someone baught any thing related to Remote Controls. I'm thinking of buying a RC transmitter and a reciver, bt ppl say that customs will detain such items, saying such items are not allowed. Is it true?

It was not allowed. You have to go to TRC and get approval or something. Security. Some parliamentarian saw Mission Impossible III and thought terra would use RC cars to blow up their vehicles. Dunno if they changed their minds later, but not AFAIK.

It was not allowed. You have to go to TRC and get approval or something. Security. Some parliamentarian saw Mission Impossible III and thought terra would use RC cars to blow up their vehicles. Dunno if they changed their minds later, but not AFAIK.

Once I got Nokia 5800 and it came for main post office. The custom guy said i am not supposed to get mobile phone and I need TRC letter. However they released it after tax. I am also looking for good RC jeep or car in ebay i've seen many get them down here in SL. Isn't this allowed by law?

I got my camera through ebay as well. The DHL guys asked me to fax a letter to them addressing Customd Head stating it's for personal use not for any commericial (resale use) use. They said if not i'm getting 100% tax.

Once I got Nokia 5800 and it came for main post office. The custom guy said i am not supposed to get mobile phone and I need TRC letter. However they released it after tax. I am also looking for good RC jeep or car in ebay i've seen many get them down here in SL. Isn't this allowed by law?

Your not supposed to get mobiles phones with GPS. Which I believe the 5800 has. Daft, IMHO. Most of the new phones have GPS. We'll have to go back to the Galdol Baagey phones to please these buggers.

Your not supposed to get mobiles phones with GPS. Which I believe the 5800 has. Daft, IMHO. Most of the new phones have GPS. We'll have to go back to the Galdol Baagey phones to please these buggers.

strange and stupid cos say afaik...marine gps is fully allowed and lotsa people who venture into deep seas use them

strange and stupid cos say afaik...marine gps is fully allowed and lotsa people who venture into deep seas use them

I get the feeling there was some politics behind it. Nothing concrete of course, just a feeling. Notice that Dialog was offering its Sat-Nav and IWS was offering Dialog SatNav free on their Porsches? Disappeared from the publicity offering. You should be able to find if it was officially pulled off advertising.

I got my camera through ebay as well. The DHL guys asked me to fax a letter to them addressing Customd Head stating it's for personal use not for any commericial (resale use) use. They said if not i'm getting 100% tax.

Just curious, so how much was the tax at the end?

Just curious, so how much was the tax at the end?

Around 7K - 8K + another 1K - 2K for Delivery to Kandy from Colombo by DHL. They have collected it same day and i got the camea next day early morning to my hand.

I got Canon A590 also which directly came to Kandy post office, they charged me around Rs.500 about year ago.

Just bid/won on a car item on ebay- have to see if the vendor is actually legit (although there's 400+ 100% positive reviews on the vendor, he's yet to respond to my messages on shipping updates etc).

I'm also hoping that the customs will be take kindly to the fact that i'm restoring an old croc...and give me a reduced duty charge.

Around 7K - 8K + another 1K - 2K for Delivery to Kandy from Colombo by DHL. They have collected it same day and i got the camea next day early morning to my hand.

I got Canon A590 also which directly came to Kandy post office, they charged me around Rs.500 about year ago.

Damnn, I thought courier services manage to clear items with lesser tax compared to, us doing the same at post office. I also collected a Canon A1000 at Kandy, same amount of tax as for you, but with added instructions/advice on how to use a digicam :angry-smiley-048: but ya almost a year back. Now they know our strategies lol

Edited by shanX

Damnn, I thought courier services manage to clear items with lesser tax compared to, us doing the same at post office. I also collected a Canon A1000 at Kandy, same amount of tax as for you, but with added instructions/advice on how to use a digicam :angry-smiley-048: but ya almost a year back. Now they know our strategies lol

compare to the 100% tax i got about 10% for the Canon D1000. Still it was a better deal compare to to Metropolitan price quoted to me. :rolleyes:

compare to the 100% tax i got about 10% for the Canon D1000. Still it was a better deal compare to to Metropolitan price quoted to me. :rolleyes:

hi all,

good topic after a long time,although this site is about cars.

can anyone tell me what would be the price of a decent laptop which has wifi, 2 built in speakers and could run XP, i am interested in getting one fro my office and personal use, however do not have the cash to buy a brandnew one at the moment.is is it Ok to to buy these from ebay and amazon, can you trust them.Anyone who has brought down one please advice, your reply is very much appreciated.

rameez

hi all,

good topic after a long time,although this site is about cars.

can anyone tell me what would be the price of a decent laptop which has wifi, 2 built in speakers and could run XP, i am interested in getting one fro my office and personal use, however do not have the cash to buy a brandnew one at the moment.is is it Ok to to buy these from ebay and amazon, can you trust them.Anyone who has brought down one please advice, your reply is very much appreciated.

rameez

I've got one HP 6220 nc or some thing for a friend of mine it got about 7K taxes total cost around 25K - 30K.

depending on your requirements you can find a good one between 15K - 30K

I've got one HP 6220 nc or some thing for a friend of mine it got about 7K taxes total cost around 25K - 30K.

depending on your requirements you can find a good one between 15K - 30K

Do we have access to Paypal in srilanka.I was known that the government in srilanka had stopped all transactions in srilanka from paypal due to security issues . Has that been lifted now.Anybody Please enlighten me on that.

Do we have access to Paypal in srilanka.I was known that the government in srilanka had stopped all transactions in srilanka from paypal due to security issues . Has that been lifted now.Anybody Please enlighten me on that.

Yes. Just After I returned from UK, I opened a paypal account using a local credit card from HSBC. I used it to buy things several times too.