• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Has Any One Bought Anything From E Bay ?

Sumiya

I got down something for my car & got a letter saying I have to go and collect it from Colombo Foreign Parcel Office (Central Mail Exchange), D.R. Wijeywardena Mw, Colombo 10. Could someone please tell me where this is located (any landmarks), and give any relevant advice. This is the first time I'm going to this place to collect an item. I asked the seller to undervalue it and mark it as a gift, and he has done it.

If you're coming from Pettah(by bus) get a 120 bus. IIRC you have to get down halt after Sampath bank City Branch. Always careful you don't have to go through anyone, just follow the procedure :-) Sometimes people might come to help. (Like in passport office and RMB)

~sanjaya

I got down something for my car & got a letter saying I have to go and collect it from Colombo Foreign Parcel Office (Central Mail Exchange), D.R. Wijeywardena Mw, Colombo 10. Could someone please tell me where this is located (any landmarks), and give any relevant advice. This is the first time I'm going to this place to collect an item. I asked the seller to undervalue it and mark it as a gift, and he has done it.

If you're coming from Pettah(by bus) get a 120 bus. IIRC you have to get down halt after Sampath bank City Branch. Always careful you don't have to go through anyone, just follow the procedure :-) Sometimes people might come to help. (Like in passport office and RMB)

~sanjaya

Thanks. Appreciate it.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Guys

Has any one used Debit or Visa card instead of Credit card to pay for e bay ? nee advices on it

Thanks

Regards

sumith

You kinda got your cards mixed up machang....

The two categories of cards are "debit" and "credit".. with a credit card you dont have to pay till the end of the month, which is when the bank sends you the bill. With a debit card, it directly takes the money out of your account.

Visa, MasterCard, AmEx are types of cards. Think of them as diferent types of 'currencies' for simplicity sake. If the seller accepts any/either of these three (and you have it), it doesnt matter if your card is a credit or debit card.

:)

I generally use my debit card (issued in S'pore) though not sure if SL has debit cards..

You kinda got your cards mixed up machang....

The two categories of cards are "debit" and "credit".. with a credit card you dont have to pay till the end of the month, which is when the bank sends you the bill. With a debit card, it directly takes the money out of your account.

Visa, MasterCard, AmEx are types of cards. Think of them as diferent types of 'currencies' for simplicity sake. If the seller accepts any/either of these three (and you have it), it doesnt matter if your card is a credit or debit card.

:)

I generally use my debit card (issued in S'pore) though not sure if SL has debit cards..

Hi Dilesh

I am trying to register My commercial bank debit card(saving Account), but pay pal doesn't validate it, i inquired from commercial bank branch they said there is no problem with it if the particular site accept it, that is why wanted to know any has has done it .

Thanks

Regards

sumith

Hi Dilesh

I am trying to register My commercial bank debit card(saving Account), but pay pal doesn't validate it, i inquired from commercial bank branch they said there is no problem with it if the particular site accept it, that is why wanted to know any has has done it .

Thanks

Regards

sumith

I assume you are talking about the VISA Debit Card (Visa Electron)

Any card (Credit/debit) which does not have the embossed print and/or states "Eletronic use only" cannot be used for online transactions. As such, your card cannot be used for paypal.

Hi Dilesh

Thanks

Regards

sumith

had the same isue with my sampath debit card on Paypal. Inquired from sampath and they said that the debit cards will not work with paypal because of "account safety issues". I guess it might be the same problem for commercial as well.

small note to all those who do the online transactions.

Make sure you guys login to sites directly through web browser not through the direct mailers, offer mails, promotion mails. There can be fake sites identical to reputed websites where you can put your login details, card details, etc. And you will not know unitll you get a thumping bill to hand

small note to all those who do the online transactions.

Make sure you guys login to sites directly through web browser not through the direct mailers, offer mails, promotion mails. There can be fake sites identical to reputed websites where you can put your login details, card details, etc. And you will not know unitll you get a thumping bill to hand

Damn true, also beware if you using 3rd party PCs to login for online transactions.... specially aware of netcafe PCs....

Stealing a password is really simple these days. even Keystroaks can be traceable, that means someone else can get to know what you typing....

even if you check your mails on 3rd party PC never use "remember me / stay signed in"....

Just imagin if someone got to know your E-Bay + Paypal / usernames + Pwords..... :ninja: you will be screwed.... :violent-smiley-099:

Damn true, also beware if you using 3rd party PCs to login for online transactions.... specially aware of netcafe PCs....

Stealing a password is really simple these days. even Keystroaks can be traceable, that means someone else can get to know what you typing....

even if you check your mails on 3rd party PC never use "remember me / stay signed in"....

Just imagin if someone got to know your E-Bay + Paypal / usernames + Pwords..... :ninja: you will be screwed.... :violent-smiley-099:

once my ebay account was hacked into.

luckily ebay security systems were pretty good they spotted it very fast and froze the account before the culprits could do any damage.

From that day onwards i have quite strong passwords with alpha numerics with special characters etc and something that doesn't form words.

once my ebay account was hacked into.

luckily ebay security systems were pretty good they spotted it very fast and froze the account before the culprits could do any damage.

From that day onwards i have quite strong passwords with alpha numerics with special characters etc and something that doesn't form words.

hacked by whom may I ask?

I mean is it by anyone you know or some random hacker on the net?

random hacker and the origin was from the us.

Now these things are somewhat rare but a few years back sometimes you get these insane deals for "but it now" option coming from sellers with 100% feed back.

There was this one instance when i was interested and email the seller regarding shipping only to get an email from ebay saying the said account was hacked and all the listings were false.

I suppose whoever hacked the account wanted to sell things that didn't existed and somehow get paid for it <_<

Sometimes there are hackers who acts like sellers...

some might come up with offers outside e-bay...

Once one of my friend was redirected to a site (which was almost similer 2 ebay) through a 3rd party offer, which requested for his ebay UN & PW...

Do not enter your UN & PW any other place other than ebay...

Regularly change your PW... Do not use same UN & PW on all your activities...

random hacker and the origin was from the us.

Now these things are somewhat rare but a few years back sometimes you get these insane deals for "but it now" option coming from sellers with 100% feed back.

There was this one instance when i was interested and email the seller regarding shipping only to get an email from ebay saying the said account was hacked and all the listings were false.

I suppose whoever hacked the account wanted to sell things that didn't existed and somehow get paid for it <_<

The first item I bought off ebay was one of those so called 16GB pen drives. I was aware of the risk but luckily mine was 4GB instead of some claims of 2. Still it was cheap (tho it was a slow one) since I wanted to 'try ebay' :)

anyways, when I visited to leave negative feedback, I found that the seller no longer existed and I had a message from ebay in my inbox saying that the particular account was hacked and bla bla bla...

glad that I got my item anyhow :)

The first item I bought off ebay was one of those so called 16GB pen drives. I was aware of the risk but luckily mine was 4GB instead of some claims of 2. Still it was cheap (tho it was a slow one) since I wanted to 'try ebay' :)

anyways, when I visited to leave negative feedback, I found that the seller no longer existed and I had a message from ebay in my inbox saying that the particular account was hacked and bla bla bla...

glad that I got my item anyhow :)

you could've file a resolution and claim the money you paid under paypal buyer protection and still could kept that 4GB with you

means maximum per transaction is 10,000/- ryt? :) safe for the pocket too.. hehe

:) No NPP...

U can topup 10,000/- * 3 = 30,000/- that means your limit becomes 30,000/-

so u can buy 30,000/- worth of items..

:alc: Damn do not but any unbranded MemorySticks / PenDrives they do not hav the mentioned capacity...

And they tranfer data F***** slowly, Even slower than over railways...

But ebay is becoming better n beter now... with their BUYER PROTECTION rules...

:angry-smiley-048: got several refunds for defective items recently...

Cheers :violent-smiley-030:

:angry-smiley-048: Yeah, Can be topup multiple 10,000s....

:jumping-smiley-013: until ya pocket gets empty

means maximum per transaction is 10,000/- ryt? :) safe for the pocket too.. hehe

I paid 50k max, so i assume you could add another zero to 10k, maybe ;)

most of the items are saying that they do not ship to srilanka. why is that.for example i sorted out the choice of my item by location and then lower price and then when i went to buy a shaver which seemed to be good it stated that they dont not ship to many countries which also included srilanka. Anyone who has come across this situation.How do you all buy items, is there any other way to do it.reply appreciated. I need a shave........... :P :P

How do you all buy items, is there any other way to do it.reply appreciated. I need a shave........... :P :P

Well, you CAN buy one locally.... :)

Generally I will get it shipped to a friend living abroad, then he can either bring it, or post it from there.