• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Defender Brake Issues

tiv

Question

Well I managed to get my hands on another fairly good 90 about 4 months ago...

as soon I got it i noticed there were issues with the brakes.. the pedal was like very 'low'

i guess you know what i mean.. So i had the entire system primed with new washers...

Anyway there was an improvement but again it is of the same state...well i didnt use it for

a while as i am away from the island. the car stops but the brakes are quite weak after it goes down..

There are no leaks from the brake lines.. Recently i noticed that the brake booster is mated to a Isuzu pump..

could this be the issue?

the rest are all original.. and the copper rod inside the booster has also been fiddled with..

its a 2.5 N/A with discs at the front and drums at the back..

ex-police or STF i guess..

over to the land rover gurus in the forum..

Thank you

13 answers to this question

Well I managed to get my hands on another fairly good 90 about 4 months ago...

as soon I got it i noticed there were issues with the brakes.. the pedal was like very 'low'

i guess you know what i mean.. So i had the entire system primed with new washers...

Anyway there was an improvement but again it is of the same state...well i didnt use it for

a while as i am away from the island. the car stops but the brakes are quite weak after it goes down..

There are no leaks from the brake lines.. Recently i noticed that the brake booster is mated to a Isuzu pump..

could this be the issue?

the rest are all original.. and the copper rod inside the booster has also been fiddled with..

its a 2.5 N/A with discs at the front and drums at the back..

ex-police or STF i guess..

over to the land rover gurus in the forum..

Thank you

I'm not landy guru, but I can share my experience with u. I think brake pump is the problem. did u replace the pump repair kit.....?

the thing is its an "ISUZU" pump...

yes the pump has been fitted with a new kit..

the thing is its an "ISUZU" pump...

yes the pump has been fitted with a new kit..

many landy owners use different alternative Japanese pumps, its not a big issue. only thing is the correct size of it.

In your case, you surely know that there are no leaks from the brake lines, my opinion is you have to replace your

pump. If your pump inner sleeve wear or damaged it couldn't able to maintain pressure even with the new washer kit.

brake paddle going down means leak of oil. if not outside then the inside of pump. Good mechanic can easily identify this.

thanks for the replies..

yes there was a small line of oil gushing out when the pump was removed.. It was stopped from an O ring..

its an Isuzu pump with 3/4 on it..

Any idea how much a land rover pump would cost?

is the rod like thing from the booster replaceable without replacing the entire booster?

What other pumps would match the land rover spec.. i'm considering this option as the brakes have been fiddled with and it is not of the factory setup anymore

If it was in factory setup I would no doubt swap it to the genuine part, as I am too a bit of a Landy enthusiast..

As for mechanics well they really make matters worse... most of them atleast.. somethings about land rover ownership :rolleyes:

thanks for the replies..

yes there was a small line of oil gushing out when the pump was removed.. It was stopped from an O ring..

its an Isuzu pump with 3/4 on it..

Any idea how much a land rover pump would cost?

is the rod like thing from the booster replaceable without replacing the entire booster?

What other pumps would match the land rover spec.. i'm considering this option as the brakes have been fiddled with and it is not of the factory setup anymore

If it was in factory setup I would no doubt swap it to the genuine part, as I am too a bit of a Landy enthusiast..

As for mechanics well they really make matters worse... most of them atleast.. somethings about land rover ownership :rolleyes:

Sir,

Please do inform what is your Master Cylinder washer Specifications in inches

I have had a problem similar to your brake problem in my Vehicle I did change master cylinder washers but I did not get the original M/C valve on same.

Problem was still existing.with peddle going down only very little brakes when brakes was applied got fed up removing M/C number of times. My M/C was 3/4 Inch

Bought Nissan new 1 Inch washers pump fitted to the brake booster fitting was same as original pump but it was 2 Inches longer can accommodate on the same place.

Problem solved no more peddle going down perfect brakes as I keep my leg to press the peddle total cost was Rs 40000.00

for new M/C pump made in Thailand.

I went round Panchikawatha new shops you can get old duel circuit front and rear but new M/C pumps from 3500.00 to 5500.00 some are Lockheed pumps for old LD vans.

Do you have a duel circuit that means front one tube feeds rear one tube feeds.

Your Vehicle is fitted with Tandem Master Cylinder on rear top of differential?.

I have discontinued the T M/C two years ago as it gave me some problems my speeds are not more than 50 KM.

I did it my self with my workers.

Wijesinghe.

Edited by Sylvi

Sir,

Please do inform what is your Master Cylinder washer Specifications in inches

I have had a problem similar to your brake problem in my Vehicle I did change master cylinder washers but I did not get the original M/C valve on same.

Problem was still existing.with peddle going down only very little brakes when brakes was applied got fed up removing M/C number of times. My M/C was 3/4 Inch

Bought Nissan new 1 Inch washers pump fitted to the brake booster fitting was same as original pump but it was 2 Inches longer can accommodate on the same place.

Problem solved no more peddle going down perfect brakes as I keep my leg to press the peddle total cost was Rs 40000.00

for new M/C pump made in Thailand.

I went round Panchikawatha new shops you can get old duel circuit front and rear but new M/C pumps from 3500.00 to 5500.00 some are Lockheed pumps for old LD vans.

Do you have a duel circuit that means front one tube feeds rear one tube feeds.

Your Vehicle is fitted with Tandem Master Cylinder on rear top of differential?.

I have discontinued the T M/C two years ago as it gave me some problems my speeds are not more than 50 KM.

I did it my self with my workers.

Wijesinghe.

I am not very sure of the technical bits... I am planning to keep things as original as possible, when it comes to other stuff than the pumps.

Thank you for your advice

:lol:

try Thilak at Colonial motors

The issue is I do not reside in colombo, anyways as all you guys suggest a day in colombo should help me make some sense out of the issue..

Thanks again and nice to see the land rover gathering here..

The issue is I do not reside in colombo, anyways as all you guys suggest a day in colombo should help me make some sense out of the issue..

Thanks again and nice to see the land rover gathering here..

Sir,

Can you send a picture of your Brake Master cylinder pump or give the model of your L/R Chassis number I will try to get you the new cost of same from a dealer of Land Rover spares as I live in Colombo 00300 go at least once to spares dealers for a day.

Wijesinghe

I am out of the country at the moment, I will upload pix as soon as I get back.. Thanks.