• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Convert Petrol Car To Diesel

Malaka2

Question

25 answers to this question

guys, I need to know is it possible to convert to diesel with same gearbox. My vehicle is Mark ii gramde rear wheel. I don't want to tranfer it to manual gearbox. i want remain it auto after convert. Guys, is this possible??? Need Help...

Logically can be done if the bell-housing matches the gear box or if not creating an interfacer plate or cut budd job (not recommended). However the torque converter used in the gearbox may not match the diesel torque and RPM. Therefore, it's best if you can find an autobox compatible with the diesel engine which shouldn't be too hard to find these days.

guys, I need to know is it possible to convert to diesel with same gearbox. My vehicle is Mark ii gramde rear wheel. I don't want to tranfer it to manual gearbox. i want remain it auto after convert. Guys, is this possible??? Need Help...

Oy veh, WHY on earth would you want to convert a MkII to diesel? the whole point of that car is the smooth 6 cylinder engine and the cruising ability!

IMO if the fuel is the problem, you really should sell it and buy something that already has diesel. Will give you less headaches in the long run and will leave the Mk II the way it was intended to be.

Oy veh, WHY on earth would you want to convert a MkII to diesel? the whole point of that car is the smooth 6 cylinder engine and the cruising ability!

IMO if the fuel is the problem, you really should sell it and buy something that already has diesel. Will give you less headaches in the long run and will leave the Mk II the way it was intended to be.

I agree with Supra. I am not a fan of converting at all.

Generally Diesel engines weigh more than petrol engines so the suspension will have more load on it which will compromise the ride and handing of the car. A car that comes with a Diesel engine will have suspension designed to work with that so by putting a Diesel engine to a Petrol car you will put more load on the suspension. Not to mention all the hassle with electrics etc.

I agree with Supra. I am not a fan of converting at all.

Generally Diesel engines weigh more than petrol engines so the suspension will have more load on it which will compromise the ride and handing of the car. A car that comes with a Diesel engine will have suspension designed to work with that so by putting a Diesel engine to a Petrol car you will put more load on the suspension. Not to mention all the hassle with electrics etc.

also i believe he did a full engine rebuild on this motor after overheating issue!

is fuel economy the main reason to go for a diesel? :unsure:

I'd say not a bad idea really. Get a full set. Engine and gearbox. See if you can get a 3C Turbo under that hood!

The very reason that I could see in converting a petrol to a diesel is fuel consumption....... Installing a turbo wont do any good

QUOTE (Killer-B @ Jul 29 2010, 07:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The very reason that I could see in converting a petrol to a diesel is fuel consumption....... Installing a turbo wont do any good

Actualy the "3C Turbo" means the engine.. "3C" is a popular diesel engine by toyota that you get in a number of vehicles, and turbo means.. well, a turbo... :)

Members,

I have done lot of petrol engine removed and fitted Diesel engines without any plates fitting to the Diesel engine.

Drive shaft extended or shortened to gear box drive shaft to enter with correctly to fly wheel and gear box.

There is a method to weld the cut ends of the gear box shaft with proper welding MAGNA or L&T Electric welding rods.

Have to test rock well hardness of the shaft to get the correct Rock well hardness of the joint.

To match the existing shaft this method I studied in UK.

No need to use a plate on the engine bell housing in Srilanka most people use a plate.

I have not done any torque converter fluid coupling drive system.

This auto transmission came to Srilanka in 1990s for cars no one wanted to buy car buyers insisted manual transmission.

later Japanese vehicles almost was made with Auto Transmission.

Srilancan mechanics got the technical knowledge by removing and trying out repair them self as plenty of auto transmission used spares came to used car parts dealers of auto transmissions.

I have fitted SU Carburetors for ECU System engines leaving same distributor with ECU for firing of the plugs timing changed but only disadvantage is fuel consumption will not get the same as fuel injection.

Lot of time was vested for above modifications.

Wijesinghe.

Members,

I have done lot of petrol engine removed and fitted Diesel engines without any plates fitting to the Diesel engine.

Drive shaft extended or shortened to gear box drive shaft to enter with correctly to fly wheel and gear box.

There is a method to weld the cut ends of the gear box shaft with proper welding MAGNA or L&T Electric welding rods.

Have to test rock well hardness of the shaft to get the correct Rock well hardness of the joint.

To match the existing shaft this method I studied in UK.

No need to use a plate on the engine bell housing in Srilanka most people use a plate.

I have not done any torque converter fluid coupling drive system.

This auto transmission came to Srilanka in 1990s for cars no one wanted to buy car buyers insisted manual transmission.

later Japanese vehicles almost was made with Auto Transmission.

Srilancan mechanics got the technical knowledge by removing and trying out repair them self as plenty of auto transmission used spares came to used car parts dealers of auto transmissions.

I have fitted SU Carburetors for ECU System engines leaving same distributor with ECU for firing of the plugs timing changed but only disadvantage is fuel consumption will not get the same as fuel injection.

Lot of time was vested for above modifications.

Wijesinghe.

Sir,

if you admit yourself that a lot of time was wasted on the above (or was that an entirely different word, I dunno since I never went to posh schools) it begs the question, why bother with them in the first place?

Sir,

if you admit yourself that a lot of time was wasted on the above (or was that an entirely different word, I dunno since I never went to posh schools) it begs the question, why bother with them in the first place?

lol, Vested or wasted, he admitted that he had destroyed lot of vehicles ;) I've used diesel converted vehicles without any issue coz they were not cut and bud jobs, done properly with an interfacer plate.

In cut and bud he mentioned you never know when that gearbox top shaft get into two pieces, try a push start of such a cut 'n bud converted vehicle in 2nd gear, you know what I meant. :P

Edited by harshansenadhir

Actualy the "3C Turbo" means the engine.. "3C" is a popular diesel engine by toyota that you get in a number of vehicles, and turbo means.. well, a turbo... :)

3C turbo is the engine and the "turbo" is not a meant to be a turbocharger?

lol, Vested or wasted, he admitted that he had destroyed lot of vehicles ;) I've used diesel converted vehicles without any issue coz they were not cut and bud jobs, done properly with an interfacer plate.

In cut and bud he mentioned you never know when that gearbox top shaft get into two pieces, try a push start of such a cut 'n bud converted vehicle in 2nd gear, you know what I meant. :P

Mr. H. Senaddhir,

That was ta typing mistake I apologize for that I thank you for pointing out that. I am a very fast typist.

Please note in my My motoring carrier I have never destroyed any Vehicles belongs to others There are some members are against my writing to this Forum.

You are trying to capitalize on a typing error mentioning I destroyed Vehicles of others please give a example.

I was told not to get involved with this forum by one member on a personal message as there is a set of members do not want any new member who will argue on his profession. And that set of members are capitalizing from the forum.

I have stood on world Automobile Assemblies in USA & Japan long before you were born represent Srilanka without any problems.

You are one of the members who in this forum always post against me.

Please do read my post again and find out What I have done. I don't think you understood what I have mentioned about rebuilding and repair technology in Steel shafts.

Mr, H .Senaddir, Don't try like fuel saving thread to drag me to unwanted arguments. In this forum It is unpleasant.

Please note you too had made English mistake wasted. This word do not exist in dictionary.

Our main idea is to to help members with their problems not to engage in arguments.

I am only sharing my Knowledge which I acquired for last Fifty years in Automobile Industry of Srilanka.

There are few living in Srilanka Paradise Island like Mr. Cedric Senviratna of Walkers and Shelly At Collets and CTB.

Who were great Automobile Engineers of 1950/1980 Era. I don't think you have heard of them.

Late Srilanka Cricket Caption C.I. Goonesekara was Senior staff member of M/s, Walker's who passed away few days ago.

I still visit Cedric telephone once a month find out his health.

I will write with authority Please don't underestimate Technically qualified persons Knowledge with I have acquired for last 50 years. Working not only Automobiles.

Wijesinghe.

Edited by Sylvi

Mr. H. Senaddhir,

That was ta typing mistake I apologize for that I thank you for pointing out that. I am a very fast typist.

Please note in my My motoring carrier I have never destroyed any Vehicles belongs to others There are some members are against my writing to this Forum.

You are trying to capitalize on a typing error mentioning I destroyed Vehicles of others please give a example.

I was told not to get involved with this forum by one member on a personal message as there is a set of members do not want any new member who will argue on his profession. And that set of members are capitalizing from the forum.

I have stood on world Automobile Assemblies in USA & Japan long before you were born represent Srilanka without any problems.

Please do read my post again and find out What I have done. I don't think you understood what I have mentioned about rebuilding and repair technology in Steel shafts.

Mr, H .Senaddir, Don't try like fuel saving thread to drag me to unwanted arguments. In this forum It is unpleasant.

Please note you too had made English mistake wasted. This word do not exist in dictionary.

Our main idea is to to help members with their problems not to engage in arguments.

I am only sharing my Knowledge which I acquired for last Fifty years in Automobile Industry of Srilanka.

There are few living in Srilanka Paradise Island like Mr. Cedric Senviratna of Walkers and Shelly At Collets and CTB.

Who were great Automobile Engineers of 1950/1980 Era. I don't think you have heard of them.

Late Srilanka Cricket Caption C.I. Goonesekara was Senior staff member of M/s, Walker's who passed away few days ago.

I will write with authority Please don't underestimate Technically qualified persons Knowledge with I have acquired for last 50 years. Working not only Automobiles.

Wijesinghe.

Sir,

You are a genuine, bona fide, qualified.......... N.U.T.C.A.S.E.

Best regards

Fast typist huh? Maybe you should slow down, both when reading (Harshan said you destroyed vehicles, not vehicles of others) and especially when typing, so we won't have to laugh as things like Cricket Caption.

By the way, that Cricket Captain bit is what we call "Off Topic". Now why did you feel like mentioning that?

Now, typos like Caption are one thing. They happen to everyone. "This word do not" instead of "This word does not", however, is just bad grammar. And when it comes in the very sentence you try to criticize another's English, well, it doesn't really flatter you. Pot calling the kettle black comes to mind.

And even more so when claiming words do not exist - http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/wasted

Also, please do learn to type Sri Lanka properly. You may have grown up calling it Ceylon, but its been Sri Lanka for almost 50 years, so it should be high time you learned it.

Mr. H. Senaddhir,

Wijesinghe.

my my ... a fast typist and a fast reader.. no wonder you're answering the wrong person and hell yeah, this is not the first time you have done it. I was in fact responding to supra natural and it was someone else who pointed out the flow in your perfect English.

I said you destroyed, based on the facts found in your very post, not something hypothetical. That is cutting and welding tail end and bell housing end of the gearbox and top shaft ( as far as little knowledge I have on automobiles, drive shaft does not go into ply wheel as you mentioned. Drive shaft/propeller shaft transfers torque/power from gear box to the final drive in rear wheel drive setup).

Regardless of how hard you do the welding there's a chance of top shaft or drive shaft being broken when a sudden and excessive torque applies in case of a jerk I mentioned. Simple example as I've quoted in previous post is a push start or it could be even critical situation where someone try to stop the vehicle using gear brakes in case of a brake failure. What if drive/propeller shaft or top shaft gives up from the welded joint as it does not give the strength of an original top shaft. There is a better mechanism to extend the top shaft to catch up the additional space taken by the interface plate used to couple engine and the gearbox than cutting/chopping and welding shafts. Hope you know that with your 50 plus so called expertise.

Again you've mentioned that you 'converted' ECU system to carburetor, I assume you meant, converting from EFI to Carburetor, again a destroy of a perfect system which meant to be fuel efficient, helps hassle free starting and driving and meets environmental friendly emissions and created a monster out of that rather than extending your expertise to repair and restore EFI system of the said vehicles had. You are nothing but a typical MAKA BAAS and I've proven that from the facts found in your own post.

Don't expect another reply from me even if you reply to this, simply I got better things to do than making failed attempts to convince a dead meat.

my my ... a fast typist and a fast reader.. no wonder you're answering the wrong person and hell yeah, this is not the first time you have done it. I was in fact responding to supra natural and it was someone else who pointed out the flow in your perfect English.

I said you destroyed, based on the facts found in your very post, not something hypothetical. That is cutting and welding tail end and bell housing end of the gearbox and top shaft ( as far as little knowledge I have on automobiles, drive shaft does not go into ply wheel as you mentioned. Drive shaft/propeller shaft transfers torque/power from gear box to the final drive in rear wheel drive setup).

Regardless of how hard you do the welding there's a chance of top shaft or drive shaft being broken when a sudden and excessive torque applies in case of a jerk I mentioned. Simple example as I've quoted in previous post is a push start or it could be even critical situation where someone try to stop the vehicle using gear brakes in case of a brake failure. What if drive/propeller shaft or top shaft gives up from the welded joint as it does not give the strength of an original top shaft. There is a better mechanism to extend the top shaft to catch up the additional space taken by the interface plate used to couple engine and the gearbox than cutting/chopping and welding shafts. Hope you know that with your 50 plus so called expertise.

Again you've mentioned that you 'converted' ECU system to carburetor, I assume you meant, converting from EFI to Carburetor, again a destroy of a perfect system which meant to be fuel efficient, helps hassle free starting and driving and meets environmental friendly emissions and created a monster out of that rather than extending your expertise to repair and restore EFI system of the said vehicles had. You are nothing but a typical MAKA BAAS and I've proven that from the facts found in your own post.

Don't expect another reply from me even if you reply to this, simply I got better things to do than making failed attempts to convince a dead meat.

I am the living maka bass.

Actually I don't want to sell the car because its more than a car to me. and by the way neither don't want to ruin the car for any matter. that's why i ask you guys, for options..me either doesn't like to convert this car or any other cat to diesel. I believe thats not be done, coz its hesitate that craftsmanship of its own respective manufacture and its demand. I opened this thread that many mechanics except agents suggested me to go for a conversion. that bothers me lot. Bcoz This car runs smoother just got fully repaired engine (due to over heating by neglect of mine) and can accept its fuel consumption to my budget and also I'm interested to loose auto transmission bcoz of my driving I still more comfort with AT than MT. So thanks You guys, for your Feedbacks...

As advised by others too,

my simple advice too is NOT to convert,

but if you really want the savings

try to go for a original diesel,

still if you really want to convert

get a original diesel engine for the 100 chassis code which is 2.2 ltr engine

( It think this is called the 3c, but bear in mind the 3c doesn't do much fuel compared to the 2C turbo)