• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Car Rentals In Sl

Sindhumail

Hi all Auto gurus,

I am looking for a good car rental agency to rent a self driven car that will be comfortable for 3 adults for the period 19th - 30th August.

Can you recommend a good car rental place I can rent it from, that has good service?

Also can you suggest a good car that is also fuel efficient. We are hoping to cover over 1000 kms in the 12 days, hence we are looking a good fuel efficient option that is also comfortable for 3 adults.

Kindly advise.

Regards

Sindhu

From personal experience

Stay away from Shine way and Casons. They Seem not to maintain their cars. One of the cars I rented the front tire came off while driving and when I took it back they refused to do anything I left the car their because I didnt want to risk my life. Also check the tires because most cars have bald tires in rain that wont work.

Mal Key is expensive and they do make promises they cant keep. You have to do the repairs on the car and they dont pay for it especially if its tire related.

Most of these rental companies are very shady so make sure u cover everything before u rent. There is a company called Hertz in SL which is international and they are also expensive but their cars are very new and reliable.

Best thing to do is get the newest car possible.

Kings Rent a car is also good with reasonable prices but again check the car over before renting.

From personal experience

Stay away from Shine way and Casons. They Seem not to maintain their cars. One of the cars I rented the front tire came off while driving and when I took it back they refused to do anything I left the car their because I didnt want to risk my life. Also check the tires because most cars have bald tires in rain that wont work.

Mal Key is expensive and they do make promises they cant keep. You have to do the repairs on the car and they dont pay for it especially if its tire related.

Most of these rental companies are very shady so make sure u cover everything before u rent. There is a company called Hertz in SL which is international and they are also expensive but their cars are very new and reliable.

Best thing to do is get the newest car possible.

Kings Rent a car is also good with reasonable prices but again check the car over before renting.

thanks that was very informative. would you mind sharing contact details of hertz?

I find that interesting coz I'be used their vehicles a couple of times and not had issues. exactly what sorta promise did they make you that they couldn't keep? What sorta promises do rent-a-car companies make? Not give you the right car? Do elaborate.

I dont have experience of the other places but I can say straight up that Mal Key takes customer satisfaction very seriously and accusing them of making promises they cant keep is a very serious statement! so if you're gonna make accusations, you'd better elaborate with the facts.

Do tell us about this experience where they made "promises they couldnt keep"... More to the point, did you actually complain to them? because I happen to know that they take customer complaints seriously and follow them up well.

I find that interesting coz I'be used their vehicles a couple of times and not had issues. exactly what sorta promise did they make you that they couldn't keep? What sorta promises do rent-a-car companies make? Not give you the right car? Do elaborate.

I'd like to keep the details private but in the interest of public knowledge . It had to do with a van we rented for a trip. They promised us self drive when we went to make the booking and put the deposit down a week before the trip but then when we came to pick up the van they made us take on a driver after taking payment. This complicated our travel plans as we had to accommodate another person.

May be I got unlucky and got bad sales rep who had not known what he was doing when he made our booking and took our money. And may be other peoples experiences are different. But from my experience I would never rent from them again or recommend them.

Hertz and King Rent-a-car have website and their contact info can be found there.

I havent rented from Weerasinghe but he does win races. lol congrats. He also has repair facilities which is very import when renting a car in SL.

I'd like to keep the details private but in the interest of public knowledge . It had to do with a van we rented for a trip. They promised us self drive when we went to make the booking and put the deposit down a week before the trip but then when we came to pick up the van they made us take on a driver after taking payment. This complicated our travel plans as we had to accommodate another person.

May be I got unlucky and got bad sales rep who had not known what he was doing when he made our booking and took our money. And may be other peoples experiences are different. But from my experience I would never rent from them again or recommend them.

Hertz and King Rent-a-car have website and their contact info can be found there.

I havent rented from Weerasinghe but he does win races. lol congrats. He also has repair facilities which is very import when renting a car in SL.

Good of you to enlighten us, As I asked earlier, Did you actually complain to them? Because You were well within your rights to make a complaint and as far as i know, the management of Mal Key take complaints VERY seriously.

Good of you to enlighten us, As I asked earlier, Did you actually complain to them? Because You were well within your rights to make a complaint and as far as i know, the management of Mal Key take complaints VERY seriously.

If I am not mistaken studies has showned out of 25 - 30 customers who are dissatisfied with a service provider only 1 will complaint back.

What are the conditions for rent-a-car service give in the even of an accident?

It would complicate your plans yes. I actually find that very strange that the booking was made, since it's their policy to not hire out vans for self-drive. Always comes with a driver. My experience.

What are the conditions for rent-a-car service give in the even of an accident?

The first 'service' (if you call it that way) would be to hold a big chunk or the full amount of your deposit. :-)

While I usually don't drag our business into the forums, I simply wish to put down my reply regarding the comments made regarding our company and not to make an argument as we have seen on the earlier threads:

Expensive: You have a right to air your personal opinion I have no problems with that. To have vehicles running without bald tyres or wheels and bits coming off, it is fairly expensive. Our rates will obviously differ from small or part timers and rental brokers who hire and re-hire. There is also a clear difference between long-term rates and the short-term rates.

Not keeping promises: I'm indeed sorry that you were inconvenienced by having to take the vehicle with a driver. What would have happened was that the intended driver may not have had a passenger/ heavy vehicle license at point of collection. Currently we do not offer vans on self-drive basis for trips and short-term basis (under a week) for walk in clients. For the record we always make sure a client who has reserved a particular vehicle gets a free upgrade if the intended vehicle is not available (and have the capacity to do so). If there a client requires a repair done (or a replacement made), an immediate replacement is offered while the repair is done.

Client doing their own repairs: Not True! All the repairs are done by us or the affiliated garage network if at remote location. The client only has to pump the fuel and run.

Tyre related: Tyre damage due to negligence (i.e. ripped tyre due to running against a pavement) is charged from the client as an international standard (abnormal tyre wear). We apply a pro-rata basis based on the age (mileage) of the tyre to calculate the damage. The benefit of the doubt is always given to the client.

I hope the 'shady' comment is not directed at our company again. Our rates are published, all the terms and conditions are on the rental agreement and we are ISO 9001:2008 certified ensuring total transparency.

@ racerx: Mail me the particulars of your hire (name of client, vehicle and dates) and I will check up on what really happened (milindumAThotmailDOTcom). I really do hope that I can change your opinion.

If there is any issue or question regarding a vehicle rental in Sri Lanka, you can mail The Rent A Car Association (RACA) Sri Lanka (Can be searched on Google). It is a newly formed industry body working towards better industry standards and practices.

While I usually don't drag our business into the forums, I simply wish to put down my reply regarding the comments made regarding our company and not to make an argument as we have seen on the earlier threads:

Expensive: You have a right to air your personal opinion I have no problems with that. To have vehicles running without bald tyres or wheels and bits coming off, it is fairly expensive. Our rates will obviously differ from small or part timers and rental brokers who hire and re-hire. There is also a clear difference between long-term rates and the short-term rates.

Not keeping promises: I'm indeed sorry that you were inconvenienced by having to take the vehicle with a driver. What would have happened was that the intended driver may not have had a passenger/ heavy vehicle license at point of collection. Currently we do not offer vans on self-drive basis for trips and short-term basis (under a week) for walk in clients. For the record we always make sure a client who has reserved a particular vehicle gets a free upgrade if the intended vehicle is not available (and have the capacity to do so). If there a client requires a repair done (or a replacement made), an immediate replacement is offered while the repair is done.

Client doing their own repairs: Not True! All the repairs are done by us or the affiliated garage network if at remote location. The client only has to pump the fuel and run.

Tyre related: Tyre damage due to negligence (i.e. ripped tyre due to running against a pavement) is charged from the client as an international standard (abnormal tyre wear). We apply a pro-rata basis based on the age (mileage) of the tyre to calculate the damage. The benefit of the doubt is always given to the client.

I hope the 'shady' comment is not directed at our company again. Our rates are published, all the terms and conditions are on the rental agreement and we are ISO 9001:2008 certified ensuring total transparency.

@ racerx: Mail me the particulars of your hire (name of client, vehicle and dates) and I will check up on what really happened (milindumAThotmailDOTcom). I really do hope that I can change your opinion.

If there is any issue or question regarding a vehicle rental in Sri Lanka, you can mail The Rent A Car Association (RACA) Sri Lanka (Can be searched on Google). It is a newly formed industry body working towards better industry standards and practices.

+1

racerx, over to you.

lots of friends and relatives do business with malkey,so far it's high praise...i have maximum respect toward them for maintaining an immaculate fleet of classics,which I KNOW to be a very hard job...ok,i'll stop now before Peri asks me if I have shares in the company...LOL :lol:

Edited by MasterDon

• 1 year later...

Member,

Try Mr. ######## Weerasinghe he rent out cars at Dutugamunu Road he has his own garage and maintain his vehicles very well.

Wijesinghe.

Hi Sylvi,

Do you know a place that I can rent out my axio?