• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Why A Bmw?

rangerover

Hey guys,

Just want to get some opinions. I know of many people, my self included who had gone or will go for a used BMW over a much newer japanse car with cheaper overall maintanance. Any idea for this.

In my case (specific to my personal experience with a 2004 BMW)

1. The brand name (I know its slightly expensive to maintain, but it makes u feel good)

2. Drivability - It feels heavy and in control

3. Looks and presence - In my personal opinion, they look way better than most other vehicles (Something common to most european brands)

Also second hand market would only be next to a mercedes (thats good in european car standards)

1. Great balance between comfort and handling

2. 50/50 weight distribution

3. RWD (even though I liked the Quattro on my previous AUDI there were times I felt it was a waste dragging around that extra weight of AWD)

2. The 3 series sedan has been on the best buy list of any car magazine (car& Driver, Top Gear etc..)

4. The interior layout is simple and effective (even if you move from one model to the newer you still feel at home with all the controls)

5. What others think about you (ex. BMW owner - young professional, Mercedes - Old rich guy)

1. Great balance between comfort and handling

2. 50/50 weight distribution

3. RWD (even though I liked the Quattro on my previous AUDI there were times I felt it was a waste dragging around that extra weight of AWD)

2. The 3 series sedan has been on the best buy list of any car magazine (car& Driver, Top Gear etc..)

4. The interior layout is simple and effective (even if you move from one model to the newer you still feel at home with all the controls)

5. What others think about you (ex. BMW owner - young professional, Mercedes - Old rich guy)

Really max? I thought the general perception was "BMW Owner - A**h**e" :P

BMWs are generally aimed at the younger buyers (younger in car buying community). I guess the sporty look of the cars also attract the younger generation. This is mainly the case with the 3 series and the M3/5s. However the SUV's and especially the 7 series would be for more a mature market. Mercs i guess has an edge in elegance Which defines its buyer as a well to do person.

This is my personal opinion. May sound jibberish to some

BMWs are generally aimed at the younger buyers (younger in car buying community). I guess the sporty look of the cars also attract the younger generation. This is mainly the case with the 3 series and the M3/5s. However the SUV's and especially the 7 series would be for more a mature market. Mercs i guess has an edge in elegance Which defines its buyer as a well to do person.

BMW needed to differentiate from Merc (both being luxury brands) and that's why they chose the positioning of "Ultimate Driving Machine" - i.e. for rich people who drive themselves (whereas with Mercs it would be more likely to have a driver, er, chauffeur). They kind of lost the plot a little when (to quote a marketing case study) they "put a living room on wheels and called it 7 series". And since then mercs has also introduced models targetting younger buyers (e.g. SL, CLK) so the original brand distinction is not necessarily valid.

BMW needed to differentiate from Merc (both being luxury brands) and that's why they chose the positioning of "Ultimate Driving Machine" - i.e. for rich people who drive themselves (whereas with Mercs it would be more likely to have a driver, er, chauffeur). They kind of lost the plot a little when (to quote a marketing case study) they "put a living room on wheels and called it 7 series". And since then mercs has also introduced models targetting younger buyers (e.g. SL, CLK) so the original brand distinction is not necessarily valid.

Agree The general opinion is that BMW's are to be driven and Mercs are to be driven in :)

Mind you BMW usually year on year take home a cartload of awards for their engines on the lines of efficiency - they are generally pretty environmentally friendly and fuel efficient.

Mind you BMW usually year on year take home a cartload of awards for their engines on the lines of efficiency - they are generally pretty environmentally friendly and fuel efficient.

The latest 740 is supposed to deliver ~5l/100km highway (Crisco Nihal territory) although the review drive got "only" 7l/100km.

Generally newer european cars are quoting some really nice numbers on fuel efficiency, probably driven by EU pollution standards and tax policies (in UK, and perhaps other EU countries, annual tax on vehicle varies by emission levels - a car with over 225g/km CO2 emissions gets charged 440 GBP as tax every year, and a 1st year tax of about double that... a Prius would get charged 35 GBP)

(I guess this also applies to Jap cars sold in Europe)

guess it will be beemer for me all the way until some day i win a lottery so i can move ahead and buy a better family SUV, i have never tried out any real sporty merc yet only an S350 AMG of a friend where i thought that the car was a very well balanced car with power at your feet but the excitement was not there even though I drove around town like a maniac I never felt that adrenaline rush .. but i have driven few beemers and the entertainment is awesome drag between the lights it unleash its raw power and when ur just driving its very gentle its lil too much of tetchy for a person who likes simple and when it starts to break down it breaks down for good so you must have a good amount of money with you if your thinking of repairing one or at least if your taking one for the garage for a small repair cos the parts are bloody expensive. I have personally experienced it where I ended up only with 50cents in my hand after I came out of the agent. What a rip off

i personally think the marketing Dep. of BMW has brought the brand into a place where when you think about beemer it gives you and image of a sporty affordable luxury car ... and i personally think its overpriced .. nowa days for the money you spend on a beemer you can buy a very decent JAP car or even a small American SUV

i own a 325i and it has been my loyal friend for years even though it started acting funny on electronics recently its one solid car to you for year if you maintain it well and do the services on time its one hassle free car. Even though i feel now the space inside of my car is getting small for my stuff (beach cloths, football, laptop, ETC ..) and its time to move on and buy a bigger ride

so i'll say if your thinking of buying a beemer don't think 2wise buy one. but be careful the rule of a sick car and a sick wife will make a man broke definitely apply when it comes to the beemer

• 8 months later...

The fact sheet on the window says #402 of 456. The dealership also has a 2002, an e30 M3, E39 M5, a 8 Series and many more cars on display. Most of them looks like as if they just left the factory.