• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Visibilty @ Night Rainy Driving

Uditha88

Hi Friends,

When driving in rain, when I use wipers, a thin water layer remains on the windscreen(windshield) which disturb good visibility. This happens in day time also but situation is terrible when rainy nights. Any solution for this.

Any one who encountered this issue. Any solution please.

Hi Friends,

When driving in rain, when I use wipers, a thin water layer remains on the windscreen(windshield) which disturb good visibility. This happens in day time also but situation is terrible when rainy nights. Any solution for this.

Have you tried on changing your Wiper Blades?? Does this thin water layer wipes off if you put your wiper switched on for a certain time period??

Have you tried on changing your Wiper Blades?? Does this thin water layer wipes off if you put your wiper switched on for a certain time period??

Hi thanks for reply.

Wiper blade seems like ok. No scratches. In nice shape. No this water layer not going to go out even after wiper works some more time. But screen is manually cleaned, this layer not going to deposit on the windscreen.

Hi Friends,

I'm also having a problem like this. But not the same though.

When it is raining heavily, although i use wipers in full speed the windscreen completely goes blurred. Although wipers work well, for the moment they wipe off, next water drops form a thin layer just following the wiper. When I observed windscreen from side with some water on, I see oily reflections all over it. So I used some glass cleaner, but it is still the same... Any help?

all you boys seems to need new wiper blades. it's tough to gauge the condition on blades but the moment they get a bit stiff and loose it's pliability it's best to replace them. I'd say a pair of wurth blades should last you an year or so. Those knock of blades wont last six months.

using glass cleaner etc wont solve a bad blade issue IMO

If you're 100% sure the blades are good next thing to check is the tension on the wiper arms. Overtime those springs get weak and might not put enough pressure so wiping efficiency will suffer!

Things like RainX will make sure water doesn't "stick" to the glass and makes them fly off. very effective at higher speeds and heavy rain.

not so great and lower speeds and light drizzles...

Even this wont solve a bad wiper blade issue

all you boys seems to need new wiper blades. it's tough to gauge the condition on blades but the moment they get a bit stiff and loose it's pliability it's best to replace them. I'd say a pair of wurth blades should last you an year or so. Those knock of blades wont last six months.

using glass cleaner etc wont solve a bad blade issue IMO

If you're 100% sure the blades are good next thing to check is the tension on the wiper arms. Overtime those springs get weak and might not put enough pressure so wiping efficiency will suffer!

Things like RainX will make sure water doesn't "stick" to the glass and makes them fly off. very effective at higher speeds and heavy rain.

not so great and lower speeds and light drizzles...

Even this wont solve a bad wiper blade issue

Thanks for very valuable advice. Wiper tension also I checked. It was in good tight. Not that bad. If u tell that v cannot guarantee blades by visual inspection, we'll try the option of replacing with new. Thanks a lot..

Thanks for very valuable advice. Wiper tension also I checked. It was in good tight. Not that bad. If u tell that v cannot guarantee blades by visual inspection, we'll try the option of replacing with new. Thanks a lot..

Try the local method,get a cigarette,remove the paper cover & get the tobacco brew or else get a tobacco leaf from a 'bulath wita'; wet that a bit and wipe it across the windscreen,if you are not sure,first apply on a small portion on passenger side glass n see the difference.

Try the local method,get a cigarette,remove the paper cover & get the tobacco brew or else get a tobacco leaf from a 'bulath wita'; wet that a bit and wipe it across the windscreen,if you are not sure,first apply on a small portion on passenger side glass n see the difference.

vinegar also works on making the blades a bit more flexible but all these are temp fixes afaik

personally i would not skimp on safety and replace the blades the moment their wiping ability goes down.

not worth the hassle of having to drive without proper visibility

and also get a proper set of blades like wurth...

Ya have also heard about this method. Thanks. :)

A year?? And here I was wondering why my blades are acting up...I've had them for 6 years :blink: Obviously time to change them (I had planned to do this earlier also but never got round to it). Do you know where I can get Wurth blades and approx cost?

are flat wiper blades any good? and are they available locally?

upgrade.jpg

Yeah low profile blades are available here. They are really good at highway speeds in the rain as they do not have the tendency to lift from the windscreen but generally considering the extra premium and the fact that we do not drive that fast over here, you are better of sticking with regular ones.

Yeah low profile blades are available here. They are really good at highway speeds in the rain as they do not have the tendency to lift from the windscreen but generally considering the extra premium and the fact that we do not drive that fast over here, you are better of sticking with regular ones.

ah... so they don't clean any better than regular blades?

A year?? And here I was wondering why my blades are acting up...I've had them for 6 years :blink: Obviously time to change them (I had planned to do this earlier also but never got round to it). Do you know where I can get Wurth blades and approx cost?

there are wurth shops and also some of the car servicing places too carry them!

i'm guessing motor kade might have em,,,

Last i changed it was north of 2500k...can't really remember the price!!!

6years you say???? that must be one helluva good blade you got there mate :D

I've been a bot of stickler on wipers so don't use em over an year... The used ones i passover to my neighbor who in turn use em till my next change. he doesn't drive much and hardly over 40kmh :)

ah... so they don't clean any better than regular blades?

Slightly better but I would not say it's worth the price. Now if you want something that will clean exceptionally well and last a really long time, you should get a set of silicon wiper blades. Silicone does not degrade as fast as rubber and wipes a lot better too.

IMO the Wurth blades have not been too great ...Especially if you are parked in the sun for long spells, they tend to last for only abt 8 months...

I have switched to the Bosch blades and they seem to hold up much better... Does come with a 2 year warranty and is well worth it.... !! Also a point to note is that if you do have minor chips on your windscreen you are likely to get a few streaks even on a new blade....This could be towards the lower area of the windscreen and just where the wiper starts off...and this can cause a streak right across the whole windscreen !

Edited by milano340

I've seen some cars having the wipers away from the windscreen (vertical and angled forward) when parked in the sun... does this do anything to increase the life of the blades or does it just muck up the arms?

edit: or is it to prevent muck collecting on the blades which could scratch the screen?

Edited by Sifaan

edit: or is it to prevent muck collecting on the blades which could scratch the screen?

that's why i do it...or just lift the arms before you drive off so the crap just falls off...

some keep the arms raised up so that the contact area of the blade doesn't get burned from the hot glass surface...

When i drive in the Night on Rainy weather i feel that there is somekind of oil going to the windscreen and once it sticks on the Glass it just does not go away.

I have new wiper blades too.

After much research i found out that there is a bit of oil specialy on Newly Tarred Roads. What happens is, once it rains the Oil comes to the top, any High vehicale ( Trucks or Busses) which travels can easily spill this water on to your Windscreen. Even if the oil is minute, it is easy enough to cause a Blurring vision on the Glass.

So i feel having a strong oil removal solvent in the wiper washer can easily remove it from the Glass. I need to found out more about this and get back to you.

Edited by Velocity

I too hate the oily film on the front and rear glasses, the wipers are all but useless at times. On rainy days, I usually wash both thoroughly with dish washing liquid before leaving the office and home.

I too hate the oily film on the front and rear glasses, the wipers are all but useless at times. On rainy days, I usually wash both thoroughly with dish washing liquid before leaving the office and home.

Shouldn't the windscreen washer liquid be able to deal with oil?