• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Hybrid Vehicles

prasa

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what are the taxes imposed on importing Brand new hybrids by the government? any one know the percentage.I saw that Sri Lanka custom website says 39.5% for vehicles not older than 3.5 year.Is this valid for brand new ones?

The duty component is correct but finally when you pay it is about Rs. 825,000.- I bought a prius 10th anniversary model for Yen. 1,300,000 in December and now the going price is around yen 1,800,000.-. Civics are hard to find. Finally if you can buy a prius below 3.5 Mil from here its worth (10th Anniversary model) and others around 2.8 to 3Mil. The price in japan is increasing rapidly. Prius is better than most of the vehicles. Allions and civics cannot come close to its performance and new technology. Thats the main reason it became best selling vehicle in japan overtaking the Corolla that has sold more than 36 Mil cars and No.1 in fuel economical cars in the world.

The next Hybrid Civic.....all new 2012 Honda Civic concept introduced today

-Qualifies as a Super Ultra Low Emissions Vehicle

-Latest generation of the Integrated Motor Assist™ (IMA™) gasoline-electric hybrid system

-First application of a lithium-ion battery in a Honda hybrid

-In addition to the SULEV rated Civic Hybrid, the Zero Emissions natural gas-powered Civic GX model will help bring inherently clean-burning zero emissions natural gas technology to an even broader audience

- on sale March 2011

2ch6phy.jpg

1z3cnjo.jpg

28up5og.jpg

Edited by Californikan

I think the reason why there aren't many Civics is because not many were sold. The Prius is by far the leader in this category and Toyota the world leader in Hybrid technology. But with so many new models entering the market it will be interesting to see how things pan out !

Honda has sold around 300,000 Civic Hybrids since its introduction in 2001. The insight Hybrid has done much better - about 150,000 sold in the year following it's introduction in 2009. The Civic and Insight hybrid sales don't come close to the over 2 million Prius that Toyota has sold since the Prius went on sale in 1997.

This explains why there are so many more used Prius for sale on the market than Honda hybrids. Far far more sold Prius sold.

I think the reason why there aren't many Civics is because not many were sold. The Prius is by far the leader in this category and Toyota the world leader in Hybrid technology. But with so many new models entering the market it will be interesting to see how things pan out !

Spot on, Don, the next couple of years will see, for example, some innovative hybrid metal from the Renault/Nissan liaison hitting the world market.

2012 'Toyota Prius City' concept unveiled

- On sale next year

- Will have the best fuel mileage of any non-plug-in hybrid vehicle

- Designed to be the fun, affordable, smaller 'Prius for the city'

24g3vrn.jpg

30cu0ed.jpg

Is it me or does this look like some thing out of startrek ? ;)

2012 Audi A6 Hybrid introduced this week

- Qualifies as a Super Ultra Low Emissions Vehicle

- 17km per liter fuel economy

- Capable of travelling up to 100kph solely on electric power

- 2.0-liter engine and hybrid electric motor combine via an 8-speed automatic transmission to produce 245 horsepower

- On sale in summer 2011

ezplck.jpg

16hkyo6.jpg

v3ft54.jpg

Can anyone tell me if diesel cars sold in SL have the full complement of emissions controls that diesels sold in Europe, America, and Japan have?; are diesels sold in SL as clean running and non-polluting as the diesels sold in those countries?

This is one strength of hybrids. They are rated as Super Ultra Low Emissions Vehicles.

Californikan, most diesel cars that run in Sri Lanka are of Japanese origin and thus conform to Japanese emission standards at the time they were manufactured. And lets be completely honest here, the reason why most people want to buy hybrids is because of tax incentives given by the government making them a little cheaper :) The government is unable to give the same incentives to diesels as diesel in SL is subsidised to keep the cost of goods and public transport down.

And it's not only diesels, even Petrol's have become a lot cleaner, and as I mentioned before, the previous generation Prius (pre 2009) emitted more than 99g CO2/ KM while some petrols managed this feat. I mention this figure as that emit less than 99g Co2/ KM are exempt from the London congestion charge.

Thanks for the info and very good points Don.

Another factor driving Prius (not necessarily hybrid) sales in some countries is image, prestige and cachet. ie, the Hollywood stars driving to glitzy awards ceremonies, dinners and parties in their Prius instead of their stretch limousines or sports cars. I read somewhere that one reason the Prius sells so well is partly because it has become a statement to drive one: "I care about the environment. I care about pollution. I'm doing something to minimize air pollution and save the environment by driving a Prius." The Camry Hybrid costs about the same as a Prius and in many ways is a much better car, but doesn't sell nearly as well as the Prius because it looks like a regular Camry.

Edited by Californikan

2011 Chevrolet Volt Hybrid voted 2011 Car of the Year by Motor Trend &

'2011 Automobile of the Year' by Automobile

- The world's most advanced hybrid (double the fuel economy of the Prius).

- Qualifies as an Ultra Low Emissions Vehicle.

- 39km/liter (93mpg) rated fuel economy in regular driving.

- 53km/liter (126mpg) fuel economy recorded by Motor Trend.

- The car Toyota said could not be built.

- The world's first plug in hybrid. Can be plugged into an electrical wall outlet at home to recharge the battery when the car is off.

- The Volt is the world's most advanced hybrid car. It uses a unique hybrid drive system that is much more sophisticated than the hybrid systems used by other manufacturers. The Chevrolet Volt is actually an electric car that has a small petrol engine to recharge its lithium-ion battery if the battery's charge depletes while driving. The Volt's battery alone can power the electric motor for 50km before needing the petrol engine to turn on to recharge the battery. So if the driver does a trip of 50kms or less, then the entire drive will be powered by the electric motor, and the petrol engine will stay off. As a result the Volt is driven by its electric motor for much more and for much longer than other hybrids resulting in much better fuel economy then any other hybrid.

vzwm00.jpg

2rn9axl.jpg

xmv7kz.jpg

2wozme8.jpg

155p8xe.jpg

v7sh7c.jpg

Edited by Californikan

Ok the Prius looks pretty ugly in the last pic compared to the Volt, and gives less mileage than the Volt too? But would people in SL buy it? I highly doubt that though we see Prius's even by now on the roads, seem to sticking with Toyota is god/best mentality dry.gif