• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Best Diesel Suv For Duty Free Vehicle Permit

Venura1

Mitusibishi Canter.... you can keep your garden chairs at the back and fix a set of umbrellas too... :) The ultimate SUV.

You will be the envy of your neighbors and the neighborhood sand mudalali..

Come on, isn't that why most of you buy vehicles? To be the envy of the neighborhood?

Mitusibishi Canter.... you can keep your garden chairs at the back and fix a set of umbrellas too... :) The ultimate SUV.

You will be the envy of your neighbors and the neighborhood sand mudalali..

Come on, isn't that why most of you buy vehicles? To be the envy of the neighborhood?

As always VVTI thinks small. Why the hell would you want to use a duty-free permit on a fart truck such as the canter? You should get something with balls such as the renault magnum. You can use your duty-free permit in style by blocking our roads and angering the other drivers while you are trying to go through the mcdonalds drive through. After all isn't pissing off the other people on the road the reason MPs are given duty free permits to get as much vehicles as they want? Oh yeah and if you do buy a magnum you have the option of sticking a trailer home at the back thus reducing the need to ever go home. You can spend your days in the colombo traffic whilst ticking everyone off and doing it in style. Here's to you, permit holder. a chance to make your name known all around Sri Lanka and invoke fear in th eyes of those who share the roads with you.

Dang JD, that Magnum looks mean! Wifey and I once actually wondered how cool it would be to get one of those with a tricked out 40' container at the back and travel around the country.

lol driving a semi would be fun to say the least. I wonder how cool it would be to stick the renault 12L straight six in a car (well you would need a hell of a big engine bay. 500hp should be sufficient to smoke a axio with aftermarket allow wheels and flame stickers.

Dont forget the VW Touareg Vee 10 TDI guys.. That’s heaps of torque and power, should be enough to please a permit holder.. :D Heck, one can pull jumbo jets and stuff and get lots of attention.

Edited by MrCat

lol driving a semi would be fun to say the least. I wonder how cool it would be to stick the renault 12L straight six in a car (well you would need a hell of a big engine bay. 500hp should be sufficient to smoke a axio with aftermarket allow wheels and flame stickers.

Actually, it might be the other way around... you might have to stick the car in the engine... ;)

Saw the Torque figures for that 12L engine... as Jeremy Clarkson would say, a Planet Mover... ;)

Are you just anticipating and hoping for a permit under the new scheme or have you already got one?

What are the limits on the permit?

USD 25000

if it's the recently announced one for public servants then there's also a limit of 2000cc for petrol or 2500cc for diesel (according to the news report)

The Kia Sorento diesel is nice...can't even tell you're driving a diesel.

That Sorento is too low for an SUV Imho. Hyundai Santafe facelifted one seems ok. but both these SUVs tad underpowered with 2.0 Engines me thinks. what about new Montero sport??

That Sorento is too low for an SUV Imho. Hyundai Santafe facelifted one seems ok. but both these SUVs tad underpowered with 2.0 Engines me thinks. what about new Montero sport??

Well it would be more helpful if the OP had provided what exactly he wants to do with the vehicle (daily city runner or bit of offroading or serious offroading). If you're looking at doing serious offroading then neither of those would work. I can't speak for the santa-fe (not a fan of the look) but will go little more in depth on the the Sorento Diesel I got recently on a similar permit. Before buying, I compared it to the new X-trail and Rav4, which were higher priced but did not offer the same overall package as I found in this. (And I wasn't even intially considering looking at a Korean vehicle). All this from me on the pro-small SUV category, as I personally feel that driving mammoth Land Cruisers and Montero's on the streets of Colombo is pretty loutish, unless you drive across one of our national parks on a daily basis.

It does a fair bit of going off-the-road (not off-roading :P) in the plantation sector and holds up just fine. The 2.2 crdi is definitely not underpowered in any sense of the word for a similar sized vehicle (much better pulling power than a new Prado I drove recently) however, the automatic (that I have) is strangely supposed to be better than the manual (that I haven't seen for sale here) according to reviews I have read. Interior is nice as well. The auto does 0-100kmph in about 9.2 seconds according to specs, thats more than enough power for a vehicle that size, unless you're looking to race. I believe the beefed up version, Sorento R, is also available here (or has been individually imported by a couple of people as I'e seen more than one here).

Here's a more extensive review:

If the OP is looking in the midsize category, I can certainly recommend the Sorento. I would suggest he talks to people who drive any vehicle he's thinking of buying, since he hasn't really been clear on what he wants.

Edited by SeanD

Well it would be more helpful if the OP had provided what exactly he wants to do with the vehicle (daily city runner or bit of offroading or serious offroading). If you're looking at doing serious offroading then neither of those would work. I can't speak for the santa-fe (not a fan of the look) but will go little more in depth on the the Sorento Diesel I got recently on a similar permit. Before buying, I compared it to the new X-trail and Rav4, which were higher priced but did not offer the same overall package as I found in this. (And I wasn't even intially considering looking at a Korean vehicle). All this from me on the pro-small SUV category, as I personally feel that driving mammoth Land Cruisers and Montero's on the streets of Colombo is pretty loutish, unless you drive across one of our national parks on a daily basis.

It does a fair bit of going off-the-road (not off-roading :P) in the plantation sector and holds up just fine. The 2.2 crdi is definitely not underpowered in any sense of the word for a similar sized vehicle (much better pulling power than a new Prado I drove recently) however, the automatic (that I have) is strangely supposed to be better than the manual (that I haven't seen for sale here) according to reviews I have read. Interior is nice as well. The auto does 0-100kmph in about 9.2 seconds according to specs, thats more than enough power for a vehicle that size, unless you're looking to race. I believe the beefed up version, Sorento R, is also available here (or has been individually imported by a couple of people as I'e seen more than one here).

Here's a more extensive review:

If the OP is looking in the midsize category, I can certainly recommend the Sorento. I would suggest he talks to people who drive any vehicle he's thinking of buying, since he hasn't really been clear on what he wants.

Kia Sorento is a poor SUV its not a good off roader.It does not have a 2nd hand market & Its fuel consumption is very poor. ;)

As always VVTI thinks small. Why the hell would you want to use a duty-free permit on a fart truck such as the canter? You should get something with balls such as the renault magnum. You can use your duty-free permit in style by blocking our roads and angering the other drivers while you are trying to go through the mcdonalds drive through. After all isn't pissing off the other people on the road the reason MPs are given duty free permits to get as much vehicles as they want? Oh yeah and if you do buy a magnum you have the option of sticking a trailer home at the back thus reducing the need to ever go home. You can spend your days in the colombo traffic whilst ticking everyone off and doing it in style. Here's to you, permit holder. a chance to make your name known all around Sri Lanka and invoke fear in th eyes of those who share the roads with you.

What about the fuel efficiency / Parts availability / Second hand resale value of Renault Magnum.

:D

Kia Sorento is a poor SUV its not a good off roader.It does not have a 2nd hand market & Its fuel consumption is very poor. ;)

Oh really? And how can you be certain that it does not have a second hand market if the the vehicle was actually INTRODUCED less than 2 years ago?

Fuel consumption of an Auto Sorrento (Diesel) if driven properly is very easily around 8-8.5KM/L in the city (speaking from experience of a friend's vehicle).

So kindly get your facts straight before you post crap here, noob.

Come to think of it, considering what you think is the "best suv for the duty free permit" I have a strange feeling that you're trying a pathetic attempt at guerilla marketing here....

• Like 1