• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Speedometer Modification

trinity

This looks like quite decent and worthy modification for my EK3 too. Because it also looks so dull in the nigh with very poor backlighting.

Appriciate any more helps from guys who done/doing this. DIY pics/places/contacts/FAQs would be really helpful.

Not sure about T5, but T10 (or W5W) is a spec for filament bulbs so doesn't really influence how many LEDs there will be on it; there are single LED, single SMD, 5 SMD, 9 SMD, 13 SMD versions. also 25 SMD etc but those SMDs are smaller.

Of course the 9/13 SMD ones are bigger than the original spec so may not fit, especially in a tight space like a instrument cluster (e.g. I can use the 13 SMD for parking lights but only 5 SMD for most interior lights)

i made a mistake in my earlier post, the bulb which is in the CS1 dash is the T5 twist lock type (neo wedge). yes u r correct T5, T10 denote the socket types, not the no of SMDs on it. The thing is due to practical problems, the T5 type is coming only with about 1 or 2 SMDs. even the 5 SMD T10 one which i used was too big to be pushed through the hole in the cluster. i had to insert it weirdly from the front side of the board and later fix its pins to the twist lock base.

mmmmmm. vios speedometer comes with dark red color back ground light. but yaris one has more attractive speedometer than vios. it has blue and white lights for each number. both of them have same indicaters and same shape:) thats y i asked that.

Hi Herath

Both Dash Gauges may be very similer,but looks it might be simple, but when it comes to Sensors like Heat and fuel ,those sensors should have similar resistance ratio as vios ,first you may need to check that if not your dash gauge Heat and Fuel will be indicating you wrong info .

if these resistance values are not matching you may need to install yaris sensor on the vios, that i am not sure will be easy implementation and compatible with vios engine.

there is no exact standard for those sensor values that differ from model to model manufacturer to manufacturer, :)

tanks

regards

sumith

This looks like quite decent and worthy modification for my EK3 too. Because it also looks so dull in the nigh with very poor backlighting.

Appriciate any more helps from guys who done/doing this. DIY pics/places/contacts/FAQs would be really helpful.

MkX, i tried doing this for mine, and was told that the dash has it's orange glow due to an orange filter which is in front of the dash lights. (after having the dash taken apart and the meter cluster looked at) so no matter even if you put white LED's, the lights will still be dull orange. not so for the lights on the AC controls et al, tho. those have no such filter.

another way of achieving this is to put an aftermarket "indiglo" set of cluster stickers on it. costs around 4,000 and looks as goday as ensina's knickers. but they do light up like the 4th of july. personally i would love that look on the ek too.

but if you do do this, please let me know how and where

Edited by Komisiripala

MkX, i tried doing this for mine, and was told that the dash has it's orange glow due to an orange filter which is in front of the dash lights. (after having the dash taken apart and the meter cluster looked at) so no matter even if you put white LED's, the lights will still be dull orange. not so for the lights on the AC controls et al, tho. those have no such filter.

another way of achieving this is to put an aftermarket "indiglo" set of cluster stickers on it. costs around 4,000 and looks as goday as ensina's knickers. but they do light up like the 4th of july. personally i would love that look on the ek too.

but if you do do this, please let me know how and where

Can't we remove this filter, without any affect on gauge pannel? And how this indilgo thing work? Is it a sticker that going to be pasted or gonna replace the cluster?

And the A/C control panel lighting not gonna work for me. There are only 4 buttons which does not have any back lighting, but indicates on the navigation screen.

Can't we remove this filter, without any affect on gauge pannel? And how this indilgo thing work? Is it a sticker that going to be pasted or gonna replace the cluster?

And the A/C control panel lighting not gonna work for me. There are only 4 buttons which does not have any back lighting, but indicates on the navigation screen.

i really wish we could do that MkX. that would be lovely. white LED's do give the car that little panache. i'll look into it and let you know. the indiglo ones are available easily on ebay, or at any motor mod shop here. it's a sticker. and as i said, goday as hell. also the tacho isn't right most of the time. mine's a non vtec SOHC motor, so it redlines at 6800. not 7200. so far all the indiglo kits i've found are 7200 on the tach.

i really wish we could do that MkX. that would be lovely. white LED's do give the car that little panache. i'll look into it and let you know. the indiglo ones are available easily on ebay, or at any motor mod shop here. it's a sticker. and as i said, goday as hell. also the tacho isn't right most of the time. mine's a non vtec SOHC motor, so it redlines at 6800. not 7200. so far all the indiglo kits i've found are 7200 on the tach.

Those indiglo things wont worth with me either. All of them on ebay is designed for US models with mph value in primary dial and speed goes up to 220kmph, where as i've got only 180kmph. Want to keep the original display.

Those indiglo things wont worth with me either. All of them on ebay is designed for US models with mph value in primary dial and speed goes up to 220kmph, where as i've got only 180kmph. Want to keep the original display.

Ok just putting this idea out there. It will take some big balls and a lot of time to do it.

How about using transperency film (the kind used for overhead projectors).Basically you will have to scan your existing guage face. Then photoshop it to take out the areas you want to pass the light through and print it out. After that you would need to go in with a ttranslucent paint in whichever color you wish and paint all the marking that the light needs to pass through. You would need to put in a coat of mat finish clear on top to protect the paint too.

Anyway I can see this idea working really well if you have the patience and the will power to do it. It will be time consuming to get each guage face to match the original though.

Ok just putting this idea out there. It will take some big balls and a lot of time to do it.

How about using transperency film (the kind used for overhead projectors).Basically you will have to scan your existing guage face. Then photoshop it to take out the areas you want to pass the light through and print it out. After that you would need to go in with a ttranslucent paint in whichever color you wish and paint all the marking that the light needs to pass through. You would need to put in a coat of mat finish clear on top to protect the paint too.

Anyway I can see this idea working really well if you have the patience and the will power to do it. It will be time consuming to get each guage face to match the original though.

thats a lotta trouble isnt it, besides if you get the measurements wrong you might get wrong readings on the gauges :blink:

The corners were lit by T5 LEDs (check the pics). They are the standard type for the CS1 cluster. But when u install them, the lighting is very poor. So I installed T10 LEDs just for the main meter modifying them to fit into the T5 socket. They play better since each one of them have about 5 SMDs facing all directions. Didnt go changing the corner ones to T10s. The actual lighting is kinda brighter than whats shown in the earlier pic so i decided to live with that for the time being.

T5 LED (Twist Lock)

Panel%20LED-NEO%20WEDGE-T5-W.JPG

T10 LED

T10_0020_5SMD-600a.jpg

Do you know the price of T10 LEDs? where i can buy?

• 4 years later...

So....

After 5 years and 70,000kms later, i decided to give swapping speedometer LEDs a try. As i have no DYI skills what so ever, the whole process of removing and replacing bulbs were done under the guidance of our residence DYI guru Davy.. instead of typing everything thought of sharing the whole conversation with you guys for a change..

So here it goes..

Before

IMG_1682_zpskng6vbpv.jpg

After

IMG_0539_zpsdg0wemou.jpg

IMG_0540_zpsq8nrxodp.jpg