• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Rear Wheel Or Front Wheel Drive

rameez

Hi All,

I have always preferred rear wheel drive cars and love to own a rear wheel drive car( i know that most cars are FWD and we have no option but to got for FWD.) Most of the justifications for FWD are by the manufacturers themselves inorder to save cost of production i think.

Here is a small quote i got over the internet just though of sharing it ....

Ever hear of a FWD Ferrari Porsche Lamborghini Jaguar Corvette ect? (any car known for HIGH performance)

I believe your question is are all BMWs at least rear wheel drive and no models are just front wheel drive only. All wheel drive is a different story.

BMW has never to my knowledge made a front wheel drive only car. No matter what advertising says there is no great advantage for a FWD (front wheel drive) car. FWD cars are good for people who can't handle it when wheels are slipping on the road in slick conditions FWD can get the car started out with out slipping but its only good from about 1 to 5 MPH . People who really know what they are doing know that RWD is better than FWD. We punch the car and slide around using the front wheels to correct the steer all the while still going forward, the speedometer may say were doing 100mph and were only going a few MPH.

Also there are only a few cars that are truly FWD. One is the old Saab 900 It was great on the ice and snow because it had equal length drive axles that gave no torque steering (ever notice a FWD car always tries to turn the steering wheel when your really putting the petal to the metal) Manufactures have tried to eliminate this problem with limited slip differentials and I say TRIED. This is called Torque Steer and its very annoying it give an unbalanced feel to the car.

Fwd was pushed by advertising as the way to go. The better traction before wheel slip and the better MPG because of less weight from the lack of body strength needed and the the additional parts and metal needed to get the power to the rear wheels. OK YES that's all true. BUT the reason they want to make FWD cars to desirable is because that are cheap to build. When building a standard FWD car all they have to so simple put is build the body and shove the engine trans front suspension most of the wiring and tubing in all at once it saves time money and weight.

Ever watch "cops" and notice the FWD cars spin around it a pit maneuver from the cops from the lightest bump. But the RWD cars it takes a lot more and the cops usually have to try more than once. I would NEVER EVER own a FWD car. I do have a 325ix and I do use it in the snow, but that's the only time I get it out of the stable.

feel free to share you ideas ..... :rolleyes:

Hi All,

I have always preferred rear wheel drive cars and love to own a rear wheel drive car( i know that most cars are FWD and we have no option but to got for FWD.) Most of the justifications for FWD are by the manufacturers themselves inorder to save cost of production i think.

Here is a small quote i got over the internet just though of sharing it ....

feel free to share you ideas ..... :rolleyes:

Front wheel drive vehicles gained popularity for a number of reasons.

1. Compact design (no need for space for an axle rod to go to the rear wheels).

2. Better traction since the weight of the engine is on the driving wheels. This is especially useful when driving in the snow.

3. Speed of assembly in the factory.

But on the other hand rear wheel drive has a fundamental advantage over front wheel drive which is that since the power is transferred via the same wheels that are used for steering, you experience

1. Torque steer

2. Under steer

so there is only so much power you can transfer via the front wheels without seriously affecting the driving dynamics of the car. Rear wheel drives can suffer from over steer, but this is manageable compared to the above via good design, so rear wheel drive is generally accepted to deliver better driving dynamics.

• Like 2

2. Better traction since the weight of the engine is on the driving wheels. This is especially useful when driving in the snow.

But on the other hand rear wheel drive has a fundamental advantage over front wheel drive which is that since the power is transferred via the same wheels that are used for steering, you experience

1. Torque steer

2. Under steer

so there is only so much power you can transfer via the front wheels without seriously affecting the driving dynamics of the car. Rear wheel drives can suffer from over steer, but this is manageable compared to the above via good design, so rear wheel drive is generally accepted to deliver better driving dynamics.

very well summarized don. Let me add the energy transferring efficiency into the advantages of front wheel drive. Rear wheel drive setup, energy is transferred 90 degrees from the engine to the wheels. This contributes to an energy loss as oppose to FWD setup where the direction of the engine rotation and wheel rotation are the same and CV joints transfer power more efficiently than universal joints.

1. Torque steer

2. Under steer

Nice thoughts; what could be the best 'bang for buck' RWD available here? To keep it interesting, anything below 1 million. :-)

Corolla AE86? :rolleyes:

yeah if he can find good condition corolla ae86 it will be best buy.

btw Anon if you can stretch your budget little more maybe you can find a mazda savanna rx7. :unsure:

1. Torque steer

2. Under steer

What does torque steer mean?