• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

My 2B Forward Control!

devilwoo

Hello all,

after seeing Lakshanks rebuild it gave me the enthusiasm to do my own! Here are some pictures of me recovering it and taking home!

2b011-1.jpg

2b019.jpg

2b021.jpg

After a good wash!

2b024.jpg

2b025.jpg

2b026.jpg

2b023.jpg

All in all its a very solid vehicle with minor chassis repairs to undertake and some TLC will see it right!

Devilwoo, welcome to the forums!

One hell of a project you got going on there. Are those rollers for a rear winch on the back bumper? What sort of a restorations do you have mapped in your head?

Also couldn't but help notice the 110. Any reasons as to why the third row windows are protected?

LakshanK would be able to give some golden insight with regards to the forward control.

hi there, nice landy!

She's in good shape.. and quite original.. I guess this is gonna be one interesting project..

What are your plans for her? Whats under the hood?

Devilwoo, welcome to the forums!

One hell of a project you got going on there. Are those rollers for a rear winch on the back bumper? What sort of a restorations do you have mapped in your head?

Also couldn't but help notice the 110. Any reasons as to why the third row windows are protected?

LakshanK would be able to give some golden insight with regards to the forward control.

Hi everybody.

The rollers at the back are for a centre mounted winch. The mantec grills on the 3rd row windows are for putting off any thieves who may fancy stealing my tools! (and they look cool)!!

The plan is to convert to a 300tdi 110 chassis and running gear and possibly a Nissan SD33 engine and box or a 300tdi engine and box??

We'll have to see where we get to!

Hey Mike,

Lovely to see another FC fan doing a restoration. Did you buy this vehicle from stafford , staffordshire?

Where are you based in UK.

All the very best mate and yea...any questions we are here to help.

cheers

Lakshan

The mantec grills on the 3rd row windows are for putting off any thieves who may fancy stealing my tools! (and they look cool)!!

Err...can't they just bash in your second row windows and open the passenger door if they really wanted to steal your tools?

The 110 has a steel guard in the back, they could break in but it makes it harder?... I have just sold the 110 to fund the 2b rebuild so thats gone now...

Lakshank: The vehicle came from Cumbria and I live right next to Manchester Airport.

Yes your vehicle has given me inspiration to make an old unpractical 2B into a retro classsic which performs like a defender!

Will post photos up soon.

Cheers Mike.

Edited by devilwoo

FYI

Hello again my friend.

With regards to the intercooler set-up, would it work if fitted in its standard place next to the radiator if you used metal pipe to connect rather than hose? Could you take some pictures of showing how you have set your system up please?

Also, not knowing much about mechanics... was it not possible to use land rover related steering components?

Thanks again, Mike.

-----

Hi Mike,

No it wont work. The intercooler lines are designed in such a way to work at its optimal with that factory made length for the 300 tdi. If you increase the length of the sucssion line( i am pretty sure its the sucssion that matters most) the turbo performance will all be gone. I had Nicely done aluminium pipes like you said. But when I went on for a trial it was slow and smoky as hell. I first thought it was some problem with the engine. Then I tried every single thing I could ever think of. Engine was tested for compression and it was bloody good. Then checked the turbo and it was ok. One of my uncles who worked as an aircraft engineer told me the physics behind the intercooler lines. I then completely remved the intercooler and went on for a test drive. It was much faster than before. I then realised where the error was. I remevd the intercooler from the rad and mounted it near the engine to a side and powered her up with an electric fan. Unbelievable..I was then experiencing the strength of the 300Tdi.

As with the steering mechanism, We cant straight away use the defender parts. With defender, the steering column goes straight into the box and then into the diffs.

But With FC, the diffs are sitting behind the steering. We have to make use of some links. Thats why I used a Toyota adjustable column and a box. Then If you look at the attached picture I have used another part from a mitsubishi 4DR5 jeep. I am not sure what you call this part. Is this the drop arm link.??

This was the key part I think. Land rover parts are not easily available in Sri Lanka and they are really expensive, Thats why I had to come come up with japanese solutions. Also Sri lankan mechanics are more comfortable with japanese vehicles and parts. However I am sure you can come up with a better solution that mine, after seeing all this. Mine was a guinea pig and there were a nuumber of drawbacks.

Hope I can help you to rectify those.

hope this helps.

any questions please ask. We are here to help. cheers comrade !!!

I have stripped the bulkhead down ready to cut the old rusty footwells out. I will then weld in the new footwells whilst the bulkhead is still on the chassis so that there will be no twisting whilst welding.

Image0143.jpg

More pics to come soon!

So far, my new suspension kit has arrived +2" with heavy duty springs and also the engine and gearbox will be here on monday.

I'm trying to keep the costs down as much as possible now the main items have been bought. It is all hard work from here on!

Edited by devilwoo

Only just thought... it is going to be fun trying to drag a loaded engine crane across the stone driveway!

Just thought to add, this is my old 2b fc which I had to sell when work was at a low point. oh and my old 110!

Image015.jpg

This was a 1967 2.25 diesel. It had a custom aluminium hydraulic dropside tipper on the back. Awesome machine!

Image042-1.jpg

Edited by devilwoo

Well. Shes stripped now and most of the usable parts have been removed. I'm going to drop the 3ootdi engine and auto box into the 110 chassis (under tarp) and wait for the new top chassi to arrive and then the rebuild can commence. More pictures to come!

Image0145.jpg

Well. Shes stripped now and most of the usable parts have been removed. I'm going to drop the 300tdi engine and auto box into the 110 chassis (under tarp) and wait for the new top chassis to arrive and then the rebuild can commence. More pictures to come! Notice the 109" in the background! thats my new run-around now the defender has been sold to help fund the rebuild. Its awful to drive once you have been a defender owner for so long! Oh well, it won't be long now I hope and the 2b will be looking like a real machine! I have Lakshans 2B as my wallpaper on my computer to give me extra enthusiasm!!

Image0145.jpg

Mike,

Do you have the original ENV diffs in this. Are you planning to go ahead with them ?

Hi Lakshan,

I'm using 300tdi axles and running gear. Unfortunately the ENV's are staying on the original leaf-sprung chassis. The gear ratios would never match up to the 300tdi tranfer gears.

Unlike normal series axles you can easily change the ratios using Range Rover diffs, but ENV's are in a world of there own...

When its finished it will basically be a 110 300tdi Auto with a 2B body.

did you use normal 110 axles and Salisbury rear axle?

Regards Mike.

Hello! Well I have been pretty busy but today me and a friend finally fitted the engine and new suspension. The top chassis will hopefully be partly ready for levelling up on the 110 chassis and then we can get it welded in soon!

Image0152.jpg

Image0153.jpg

Image0154.jpg

Image0156.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So... Chassis is where I want it. It's getting welded on permanent tomorrow, with the lift kit and the new wheels its sitting a lot higher than expected so I think im going to fit some cranked trailing arms to take the stress off the rear bushes.

Still waiting for the a new rear crossmember to arrive as the existing one has a huge hole which would be to much fuss to repair.

Image0175.jpg

Image0174.jpg

More to come soon!

Edited by devilwoo

This is how mine looked like at that time...sweet memories

I study the pictures you sent me of your build nearly everyday! Completely obsessed with it right now. Unfortunately I don't have the budget you had and also I'm not aiming for a pristine motor - the plan is to keep it looking 'Weathered'! I have decided on a primer grey colour for the body and totally black chassis.

I love yours though, it's got a real awesome and individual look to it.