• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

"what Car" Advice!

ShintaroX

Hey everyone! You guys probably get these questions all the time and I did a search to see if the same question has been asked before but couldn't find this exactly.

I'm new to Sri Lanka and expect I will be living here for some time and I'm looking to buy a car. My budget is about 3-3.5 million and I'd like to get something that:

1. Has a good ground clearance (the car I use at the moment keeps scraping on bumps in the road,)

2. Is economical to maintain (after the floods in Colombo I had to replace the alternator on my N16 and a guy just put a "reconditioned" one in for just a fraction!),

3. Is new (preferably brand new) or newish,

4. Is economical to run,

5. Is easy to sell in case I have to leave the country,

6. Is not a hatchback.

Can anyone suggest any models that fit this description on my budget?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Welcome to AL and also to SL :)

Unless it's a lowered car or a sports cars, most car shouldn't scrape the tarmac going over bumps. maybe you N16 has bad suspension. I've used one a bit myself and my sis too has an N16...we've not had any issues even with 4 people in the car.

Most mid level japanese sedans are relatively economical to maintain and parts are available widely. brands like toyota, nissan, honda etc have wide support base here so it's easy to find "used" parts from the breakers for cheaps

I would say a honda civic, toyota axio, nissan n16-n17

and three brands enjoy a very good demand and resale market.

i'm sure others will add more

Hey everyone! You guys probably get these questions all the time and I did a search to see if the same question has been asked before but couldn't find this exactly.

I'm new to Sri Lanka and expect I will be living here for some time and I'm looking to buy a car. My budget is about 3-3.5 million and I'd like to get something that:

1. Has a good ground clearance (the car I use at the moment keeps scraping on bumps in the road,)

2. Is economical to maintain (after the floods in Colombo I had to replace the alternator on my N16 and a guy just put a "reconditioned" one in for just a fraction!),

4. Is economical to run,

6. Is not a hatchback.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Belta 1.3L, Toyota Axio, 2002/05 Allion

4. Is economical to run,

6. Is not a hatchback.

Thanks a lot in advance!

If you are looking for a Japanese car.and with all your requirements..you have a great number of choices for your budget.

01.Toyota Axio

02.Mazda 3,Axela

03.Honda City, or Fit Aria

04.Toyota Belta 1.3

05.If you are a fan of green cars you can go for Toyota prius hybrid or Honda Insight hybrid for your budget.

06.Nissan TIIDA..(but i'm not sure about whether it's economical to run..but it has a very good ground clearance)

considering the market of srilanka..all of the above mentioned sedans can be sold without any problem..If you are a fan of euro cars you can go for following ones.

01.BMW E36 or E46

02.Audi A4 or A6

03.Volva S40, or maybe S80

but i have no idea about the reselling of those cars, as Sri Lankan vehicle owners are having very less knowledge about euro cars..

Guys, thanks a lot for your replies - are you talking about second hand cars or brand new?

you can't think about brand new for your budget mate...i'm talking about unregistered reconditioned ...and euro cars you can have only second hand i suppose... :rolleyes:

I really appreciate the help!

I spoke to Nissan agents and they said the new Sunny Super Saloon 1.6l is 3.6mn what do you guys think of that car? For that price?

Many of you mentioned the Axio - is that better than the Sunny? I googled it - it looks much fancier than the Sunny. Do you guys have any idea about how much an Axio in good condition would cost?

I noticed no one recommended Mitsubishi - are those not worth it here?

I can also afford a Corolla - a registered one on AL is about 3.2mn - what do you guys think of that one?

OT: Can I just depress all of us here that my Mercedes C200 cost 2.5mn brand new? *sigh* back to reality...

Again - I really appreciate the advice, I'm totally lost here.

@Ripper - thanks for the welcome mate!

I spoke to Nissan agents and they said the new Sunny Super Saloon 1.6l is 3.6mn what do you guys think of that car? For that price?

Many of you mentioned the Axio - is that better than the Sunny? I googled it - it looks much fancier than the Sunny. Do you guys have any idea about how much an Axio in good condition would cost?

I noticed no one recommended Mitsubishi - are those not worth it here?

I can also afford a Corolla - a registered one on AL is about 3.2mn - what do you guys think of that one?

OT: Can I just depress all of us here that my Mercedes C200 cost 2.5mn brand new? *sigh* back to reality...

Again - I really appreciate the advice, I'm totally lost here.

@Ripper - thanks for the welcome mate!

no experience with the new sunny but 3.6 seems good value for a brand new nissan, especially since its in the same category as a unreg Axio.

Don't be too depressed with car prices. It was a lot worse before!

3.6 mil for a brand new Sunny? Fully loaded? Exclusive of taxes? If it is, super value imo!! I mean, you said it youself, a registered Corolla is 3.2 mil! :lol: Hopelessly overpriced next to the Sunny.

4. Is economical to run,

6. Is not a hatchback.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Let me repeat.

for 3 -> Nissan Sunny N17 from Agent

for 4 -> Toyota Belta 1.3 L

for 5 -> Belta, Axio, old Allion

for 6 -> All Above

Take the decision. This is ultimate choice.. No point of keep asking again & again

Good Luck!

• 3 weeks later...

3.6 mil for a brand new Sunny? Fully loaded? Exclusive of taxes? If it is, super value imo!! I mean, you said it youself, a registered Corolla is 3.2 mil! :lol: Hopelessly overpriced next to the Sunny.

the new sunny totally sucks its just sort of a facelift and i think nissan is gonna discontinue the sunny

If you are looking for a Japanese car.and with all your requirements..you have a great number of choices for your budget.

01.Toyota Axio

02.Mazda 3,Axela

03.Honda City, or Fit Aria

04.Toyota Belta 1.3

05.If you are a fan of green cars you can go for Toyota prius hybrid or Honda Insight hybrid for your budget.

06.Nissan TIIDA..(but i'm not sure about whether it's economical to run..but it has a very good ground clearance)

considering the market of srilanka..all of the above mentioned sedans can be sold without any problem..If you are a fan of euro cars you can go for following ones.

01.BMW E36 or E46

02.Audi A4 or A6

03.Volva S40, or maybe S80

but i have no idea about the reselling of those cars, as Sri Lankan vehicle owners are having very less knowledge about euro cars..

My Tiida (CVT) does 10 in colombo and 14.6 in the outstation ( with AC on).

unregistered axio or axela is what you want. you can get either one of them for 3.2 million upwards nowdays. make sure you buy the car with auction and JAII certificates checked. otherwise there's no point buying unregistred.

the new sunny totally sucks its just sort of a facelift and i think nissan is gonna discontinue the sunny

I think the sunny was discontinued after the b15. See last two paragraphs of this. We just get the re-badged version of the pulsar N16, N16 facelift etc. I think the Pulsar is also replaced by the TIIDA? :unsure:

Edited by Reckless

I think the sunny was discontinued after the b15. See last two paragraphs of this. We just get the re-badged version of the pulsar N16, N16 facelift etc. I think the Pulsar is also replaced by the TIIDA? :unsure:

For a few markets like Phillipines, Mexico, Africa and Sri Lanka as well, Nissan still manufactures Sunny. But I'm not sure if its made in Japan.

For a few markets like Phillipines, Mexico, Africa and Sri Lanka as well, Nissan still manufactures Sunny. But I'm not sure if its made in Japan.

Any sources which provide solid evidence for that? mellow.gif Cuz I couldn't find. The B series was used for the Sunny while the N series was used for the Pulsar, therefore giving the FB15 Sunny and FN15 Pulsar etc. And the Sunny stopped production in 2004 with the XxB15 series, and later we got N16 (look at the similarities of the frame code) which was a rebadged Pulsar which is made in Japan. Never have seen or even heard of a B16 or FB16, only info I found was there's such a forklift.

Edited by BLu3HaZe

Any sources which provide solid evidence for that? mellow.gif Cuz I couldn't find. The B series was used for the Sunny while the N series was used for the Pulsar, therefore giving the FB15 Sunny and FN15 Pulsar etc. And the Sunny stopped production in 2004 with the XxB15 series, and later we got N16 (look at the similarities of the frame code) which was a rebadged Pulsar which is made in Japan. Never have seen or even heard of a B16 or FB16, only info I found was there's such a forklift.

Most of my knowledge in this area comes from sources such as Wikipedia and obviously they are questionable. What I actually meant was Nissan still sells a car named Sunny in these markets but like u said, they are Sentra or Pulsar rebadged. Not Sunny as in the B-Series car. BTW, apart from the body, was there a major difference between Sunny and Pulsar any time?

Here's Nissan Africa website which has a page for Sunny - http://www.nissanafrica.com/en/web/header/header_1852.htm

• Like 1