• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Hybrid Maintanence

rover

s.Any way 4 u r information, i did 3 months of reserch before buying my prius so i knew the pros and cons of owning a hybrid, and my final conclusion from all facts and figures that I collated during these months is that the prius is a low maintenance vehicle compared to other types, no matter what people say.

And how did that turn out for you :rolleyes:

Can they really change the odometer of these type of vehicle. As far as I know the digital display unit which includes the odometer in the prius is surprisingly expensive and i dont think the people who import these cars will go that far to change it. The prius that I owns was imported from UK and the odometer shows 37k miles which I think is acceptable for a 2007 modle.

You are so adorable!!!!

Thanks all u guys for the comments and advice, though still i'm optimistic that I can get away with a low cost repair, although the bearing noise is not present allways and only heard when turning a sharp corner at high speed. I can get a couple of hundred miles more to see if the situation worsens.Any way 4 u r information, i did 3 months of reserch before buying my prius so i knew the pros and cons of owning a hybrid, and my final conclusion from all facts and figures that I collated during these months is that the prius is a low maintenance vehicle compared to other types, no matter what people say. Anyway it is true that we cant expect the same durability in conditions like Sri lanka and the prius is still under test in this country so we can see the outcome in a few months time.

Keep the forum informed about your ongoing experience with your Prius, rover - reliability, fuel economy, maintainence costs, handling, comfort, driving impressions etc.

The majority of people on this thread probably have never even ridden in a Prius, let alone driven or owned one.

• Like 1

Can they really change the odometer of these type of vehicle. As far as I know the digital display unit which includes the odometer in the prius is surprisingly expensive and i dont think the people who import these cars will go that far to change it. The prius that I owns was imported from UK and the odometer shows 37k miles which I think is acceptable for a 2007 modle.

Vehicle mileage is saved on the ECU, not on the display. And yes, changing the odometer is as easy as fixing a laptop to your car.

Well, maybe not that easily, but you get the drift.

Edited by Big_D

who wants to change the display, when they can just change the figure. Go to Kalubowila area with 1500/- in your hand and you can return back with a mileage figure resembles to any numeric figure you want, be it the digits of your birthday, zero or the amount you spent on prius, etc.

The bearing is in the hub and comes as an assembly. The cost of the bearing + the hub its ~$150.00 us.

"Besides when you do any repairs on a Prius you need to keep it inside a Faraday cage to prevent the delicate electronics from frying due to static grounding."

BS...

hmmmm. but in SL that sucker is gonna cost way more than 20K,.,. thinking atleast 35K

who wants to change the display, when they can just change the figure. Go to Kalubowila area with 1500/- in your hand and you can return back with a mileage figure resembles to any numeric figure you want, be it the digits of your birthday, zero or the amount you spent on prius, etc.

:angry-smiley-048: :angry-smiley-048: :action-smiley-060: :action-smiley-060: :D :D

hmmmm. but in SL that sucker is gonna cost way more than 20K,.,. thinking atleast 35K

DAMN!...I fail to see the 'savings' you get from the hybrids in SL.I mean they cost as much as an Axio/3,sometimes even more.Then the spare parts are nearly twice as expensive.Surely the money saved from its great fuel consumption alone cannot compensate for all those extra expenses...tell me people are not the that stupid. :action-smiley-060:

pure speculation :rolleyes:

let the Prius owners on this forum report their experiences and the actual running costs,

instead of people who haven't even been in a Prius speculate on incorrect make-believe numbers.

• Like 2

let the Prius owners on this forum report their experiences and the actual running costs,

instead of people who haven't even been in a Prius speculate on incorrect make-believe numbers.

no speculation... MG has said its 150US there.. do u think we can get it for the same price here... have u been in SL.. have u seen how our buggers market parts..

xe.com says 150.00 USD = 16,527.00 LKR i am expecting that to atleast double to keep margins for the middle men, greasing palms, other forms of bribery.. etc... wont be suprised if its even higher.. unless of course u decide to smuggle it in ur self... always the wise choice me thinks... :rolleyes:

You are so adorable!!!!

OMG! such romanticism... all thanks to the Prius... hmmm.. :rolleyes:

p.s. - maybe someone should hold the hands of these creeps and walk them down, say, pamankada kohuwala area? they might even meet one of the dudes who can teach a thing or two about odometers...

...and please don't act all high horse.The regulers here are not ignorant as you think.Yes we've driven the Prius,and even the Civic Hybrid...And some of us have even driven one of the few first gen Prii long before you cheapskates got a hard on for them after the recent tax cut.

• Like 4

Thank You MD... long before the tree hugging community (Newly formed) in Sri Lanka ever heard the word Prius, some of us were driving and asking questions about them. But then now, every one is a expert... :)

Had GOSL jacked up the tax on hybrids due to their low consumption, we would not be having this conversation, instead it will be back to Alto/Bulto/Axio threads... :)

Thank You MD... long before the tree hugging community (Newly formed) in Sri Lanka ever heard the word Prius, some of us were driving and asking questions about them. But then now, every one is a expert... :)

Had GOSL jacked up the tax on hybrids due to their low consumption, we would not be having this conversation, instead it will be back to Alto/Bulto/Axio threads... :)

well said and going bit of OT in comparing some cost factors here.

Bought a diesel as a temporary solution until I get my hands on a good Euro and guess what, it does in excess of 450 kms per full tank and that full tank is merely 2600 rupees. calculating costs, 5 rupees and 75 cents per kilometer. It's equivilant to a petrol car which does about 22 kmpl, which is pretty much close to the realistic/practical hybrid fuel figures. That all is by spending merely 500k and without having the risk of battery failure, exorbitant maintenance costs, high insurance premium, risk of towing the vehicle back from a remote location (exactly what happened to a friend who drove a Prius down south with the fuel warning on and after re-fuelling the car refused to start)

well said and going bit of OT in comparing some cost factors here.

Bought a diesel as a temporary solution until I get my hands on a good Euro and guess what, it does in excess of 450 kms per full tank and that full tank is merely 2600 rupees. calculating costs, 5 rupees and 75 cents per kilometer. It's equivilant to a petrol car which does about 22 kmpl, which is pretty much close to the realistic/practical hybrid fuel figures. That all is by spending merely 500k and without having the risk of battery failure, exorbitant maintenance costs, high insurance premium, risk of towing the vehicle back from a remote location (exactly what happened to a friend who drove a Prius down south with the fuel warning on and after re-fuelling the car refused to start)

Dang, fuel must have got sucked on with teh debris in the pump. Bad scene. What is the update on the car now? Ideally one should not let the tank go below 1/2 mark when it has the in-tank pump in any car.

• Like 1

Dang, fuel must have got sucked on with teh debris in the pump. Bad scene. What is the update on the car now? Ideally one should not let the tank go below 1/2 mark when it has the in-tank pump in any car.

Not even bothered to check and just gave a call as you inquired.

It's with agents now and in need of some sensor which he too is not sure of and it'll arrive in 2-3 weeks time at a cost of little excess of 120k. I asked the reason as to how it failed and he said he drove in all electric mode(?) with less fuel in the tank and just before hikkaduwa he pumped fuel and then the engine refused to kick into a healthy cycle, in-fact started missing and died. Since he had almost emptied the battery, the only option available was to tow it back to Colombo.

The majority of people on this thread probably have never even ridden in a Prius, let alone driven or owned one.

Because its such a rare and expensive beast that is only owned by an exclusive community no doubt. Unless you count the one my neighbor keeps parked on the road :rolleyes:

Major sarcasm, in case you can't tell.

"Besides when you do any repairs on a Prius you need to keep it inside a Faraday cage to prevent the delicate electronics from frying due to static grounding."

BS...

Actually, I think its sarcasm.

Hope he saved enough on the fuel to pay that 120k... :(

apparently to save 120k, he should've used the car for 890 years! kidding, let's calculate.

if an average person does about 2000 kms per month

a normal car which does 12kmpl would require 166 liters = 20,803.00

a hybrid does about max 25kmpl would require 80 liters = 10,000.00

saving per month is 10,803.00

so, just to cover up a repair of this nature, he should run the vehicle at least a year and I don't think most of us would put 2000kms per month in our day today running patterns. If you add up the insurance premium differences and other risks, cost of being an early mover, the benefit would be negligeable, rather running an ordinary car would be better off, at least with a normal car, at the time of selling it, the buyer won't be skeptical about the battery and drastically reduce his offer.

guys.. on the subject of hybrids.. if u get a chance drive the CRZ hybrid which is based on the CRX... the dash is hilaorious... the bloddy thing has 3 modes SPort, normal , and ECONO... ECONO ???? how much more econo do u want.. its a hybrid for god sakes.. but the best is its interactive dash which almost never let u drive ungreen.. the whole thing turns red when u thrash it and there are trees that start to grow when u are driving ecnomocially and they start to die once u step on the gas... please go to a sale and drive the damn thing.. but got to admit its a little brisk than most hybrids and it has a 5 speed manual box..

the bugger told me it has a all petrol mode... i doubt it since none of the reviews on the internet mentions this...

still woudnt buy it though.,.. i still feel a little wierd driving a hybrid even if it has 121HP.. or so they claim.

guys.. on the subject of hybrids.. if u get a chance drive the CRZ hybrid which is based on the CRX... the dash is hilaorious... the bloddy thing has 3 modes SPort, normal , and ECONO... ECONO ???? how much more econo do u want.. its a hybrid for god sakes.. but the best is its interactive dash which almost never let u drive ungreen.. the whole thing turns red when u thrash it and there are trees that start to grow when u are driving ecnomocially and they start to die once u step on the gas... please go to a sale and drive the damn thing.. but got to admit its a little brisk than most hybrids and it has a 5 speed manual box..

the bugger told me it has a all petrol mode... i doubt it since none of the reviews on the internet mentions this...

still woudnt buy it though.,.. i still feel a little wierd driving a hybrid even if it has 121HP.. or so they claim.

Ha HA had the same experience, drove a friends car recently

The most annoying thing for me was the damn meter cluster that turns red every time i accelerated hard, and my friends like "no no machan dont accelerate too hard"

So are we suppose to take advice from damn computer and bow down to a machine than to release our animal instincts ? Then whats the damn point of a sports hatch if you cant actually drive the way you want to without getting interrupted by some smart ass computer <_<

Ha HA had the same experience, drove a friends car recently

The most annoying thing for me was the damn meter cluster that turns red every time i accelerated hard, and my friends like "no no machan dont accelerate too hard"

So are we suppose to take advice from damn computer and bow down to a machine than to release our animal instincts ? Then whats the damn point of a sports hatch if you cant actually drive the way you want to without getting interrupted by some smart ass computer <_<

think its a disgrace for the CRX if we dont thrash this CRZ... isnt it.. i ignored the red cluster.. and the falling trees... gave it the FINGER..and florred it... but its defa more fun than the PRI-ASS....

did he tell u that there is a full petrol mode... and also driving in normal and econo is a no no...

Edited by charitha19