• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Warning About A Car Sale

ransam

I recently bought a Civic Exi (YOM 2002) from a car sale in Nugegoda. The person in the car sale seemed friendly and genuine and I got a mechanic to come down and check the car and he recommended it. The car was in good condition and the mileage was around 71000. So without checking further I bought the vehicle. Once i took it to agent for servicing they told that the millage has been reduced about 20000 from the actual millage according to their records. It was my mistake that I didn't check with the agent. But still I am happy with the vehicle cos it has been well maintained by previous owner.

This car sale is S G Au** Li** in front of Amb* Sewan* Hotel in Pagoda road.

So check everything if you are buying a vehicle from him :huh:

I recently bought a Civic Exi (YOM 2002) from a car sale in Nugegoda. The person in the car sale seemed friendly and genuine and I got a mechanic to come down and check the car and he recommended it. The car was in good condition and the mileage was around 71000. So without checking further I bought the vehicle. Once i took it to agent for servicing they told that the millage has been reduced about 20000 from the actual millage according to their records. It was my mistake that I didn't check with the agent. But still I am happy with the vehicle cos it has been well maintained by previous owner.

Do you honestly think that that is the only car sale/car seller/car owner in Sri Lanka which changes the odometer?

Besides even if you buy a car from an ordinary user or a sale, you need to check the car thoroughly. And I mean THOROUGHLY.

• Like 1

Do you honestly think that that is the only car sale/car seller/car owner in Sri Lanka which changes the odometer?

Besides even if you buy a car from an ordinary user or a sale, you need to check the car thoroughly. And I mean THOROUGHLY.

Very True. On the other hand who knows whether it was clocked by the previous owner who sold it to the car sale. In any case, buyers should not trust the milage on the odo meter unless it is supported by service records. Better go by the condition.

but there are some hybrid owners who believes that this odo meter cannot be changed/tampered. :)

Not surprising in the least when considering even private sellers are looking to change the Odo.Two months ago my cousin sis who doesn't know jack squat about cars wanted me to help her turn back some miles before selling the Kelisa.I refused ofcourse.Sadly these kinda scams and untruths are becoming the norm and even accepted.

Not surprising in the least when considering even private sellers are looking to change the Odo.Two months ago my cousin sis who doesn't know jack squat about cars wanted me to help her turn back some miles before selling the Kelisa.I refused ofcourse.Sadly these kinda scams and untruths are becoming the norm and even accepted.

Same scenario happened with a friend of mine. I mean, I wouldn't want to cheat a person when selling my car in the same way I wouldn't want to be cheated when buying a used car. Car salesmen using these antics, I can believe. But everyday, ordinary people who wouldn't know an automatic from a manual, going about changing the odo when selling time approaches? Really sad.

Same scenario happened with a friend of mine. I mean, I wouldn't want to cheat a person when selling my car in the same way I wouldn't want to be cheated when buying a used car. Car salesmen using these antics, I can believe. But everyday, ordinary people who wouldn't know an automatic from a manual, going about changing the odo when selling time approaches? Really sad.

There's nothing to complain or be sad about. There are few silly things that our people seriously consider when they buy the car, such as the odometer reading, the number of owners in the book, tiny little dents on the body etc. In my opinion, these things have to be completely ignored when buying a car. Observing the owner's behaviour, observing the owner's driving habits, checking correct order of maintenance records, checking the engine condition thoroughly, checking the place where they park the car in the evenings are much more important. I've used cars which got 150,000 on the clock running way better than the same type car having 50,000 on the clock.

The guy who complained about the tampered odometer said himself that the engine condition is good and he's very happy with the car. So what's the problem in the first place? Do people prefer cars which have done only 50,000 but never had an oil change until the day of sale?

If we ignore potentially serious things but go nitpicking about things that can be easily covered up, then obviously people will fool us.

• Like 1

You can't judge a book by it's cover nor a car by it's odometer.

So the buyer should be concern about the condition than the millage.

But now as the millage is entered emission test (which every vehicle has to face) it's records could be followed when there is no maintainance records.

Edited by toyota sucks

There's nothing to complain or be sad about. There are few silly things that our people seriously consider when they buy the car, such as the odometer reading, the number of owners in the book, tiny little dents on the body etc. In my opinion, these things have to be completely ignored when buying a car. Observing the owner's behaviour, observing the owner's driving habits, checking correct order of maintenance records, checking the engine condition thoroughly, checking the place where they park the car in the evenings are much more important. I've used cars which got 150,000 on the clock running way better than the same type car having 50,000 on the clock.

The guy who complained about the tampered odometer said himself that the engine condition is good and he's very happy with the car. So what's the problem in the first place? Do people prefer cars which have done only 50,000 but never had an oil change until the day of sale?

If we ignore potentially serious things but go nitpicking about things that can be easily covered up, then obviously people will fool us.

Nothing to complain or be sad about? Are you serious??? If you change meter your effectively cheating the person your selling the car to.

Observing the owner's behaviour, observing the owner's driving habits, checking correct order of maintenance records, checking the engine condition thoroughly, checking the place where they park the car in the evenings are much more important

Yep, next time I'm buying a car, I will take a week off work to stakeout the guys home and office to see where he parks, and the follow him on the road to see if he thrashes it. Brilliant advice :action-smiley-060:

But now as the millage is entered emission test (which every vehicle has to face) it's records could be followed when there is no maintainance records.

the most sensible post from you so far.

How this info is available to the next potential buyer of a car?! I might be wrong but it's highly doubtful that all Laugh joints conducting the test write this info to a central DB.

Couldn't agree more :alc:

IMO the whole number plate thing in SL is also just ridiculous as a car that has the same letters but with different numbers are valued very differently, people consider this whole letters and numbers business as a big thing.I think we should move to a system where the vehicle registration number is not given according to the date it was registered.

Whats the point ? as long as you know the year the car was manufactured why does it matter when it was registered ? what difference does it make <_<

There's nothing to complain or be sad about

However i think i have to disagree on the previous point as the seller was clearly misleading others

How this info is available to the next potential buyer of a car?! I might be wrong but it's highly doubtful that all Laugh joints conducting the test write this info to a central DB.

But, IMO a person who maintains his or her car well, is likely to keep the full maintenance records as he / she doesn't have anything to lie about. This goes for the emmisions certificates, revenue licenses, insurance information as well.

So rather than you having to go and ask this info from Laughfs people or the agents, a good car owner should be able to provide them in the first place....

but there are some hybrid owners who believes that this odo meter cannot be changed/tampered. :)

Ah yes …. Should invite them over to my place for lunch, for desert – I can then show a location where both unregistered & registered vehicles come to do the odo change – This includes Prius ……….. I live in Kalubowila…… so guess some of you may know the location

Unless brand new – forget the millage it’s almost never correct .

• Like 1

Mileage is a tricky issue as most car sales (and owners) have no qualms about clocking their cars.

Here's what I'd check in a used car:

1. Look at the service / maintenance records of the car (if any) - sometimes they include mileages.

2. Green tests sometimes include mileage (for a used car) -if you look at the last few tests (about 2 years its been around so far) you can get an idea of average mileage and this should help.

3. If the vehicle is maintained at an agent they may have info

4. Does the dashboard look messed with - if its an analog meter are the numbers all jagged and wobbly? could be a sign.

5. Timing belt: if changed at all, there may be a sticker on engine with milage written. Sometimes the shops forget to remove this.

6. De Silva valuation (if any) includes mileage - so if seller has an old one this helps - though none of the sellers will show you an old one as they want to sell for much higher price :)

Last but not least, condition of the car / engine. The condition of engine, interior, shocks, etc should typically match

Before you sell any car, it is worth getting a report from de silva, and a defect report from the agent. Ask to be present for the defect report, as you can also see things - for example when they jack up the car and you get a good view of underside.

Agent inspection costs a few thousands but is worth it considering that cars cost millions!

If a seller refuses an agent inspection, don't buy.

disclaimer: I'm not an expert!

Edited by Saturn

Sure, odomoter reading is not a sure way of figuring actual wear and tear. Still, I'd feel reassured knowing the actual age of the car rather than some number dreamed up by a past owner.

Yep, next time I'm buying a car, I will take a week off work to stakeout the guys home and office to see where he parks, and the follow him on the road to see if he thrashes it. Brilliant advice :action-smiley-060:

Indeed it was very good advice.Sad that some always get it the wrong way. Mate you don't have to go on a stakeout to find where he parks the car. When you visit the seller just have a quick look in his garage. This is what i do first even before looking at the car.Little details in the background can sometimes give you clues that you would never find in the service record or in the odo reading.Most of the sellers are cunning and careful that they clean the car and wash of any oil leak from the engine bay but never go into the trouble of cleaning the garage floor.If the garage floor is seriously stained with oil marks,etc,etc then you would have a very good idea about what you are dealing with. Ask a few questions about them after inspecting the car and note the sellers reactions and answers. These tiny little things can save you 1000s. Ans always let the owner of the vehicle drive first when/if you decide to take it for a test run.You see it is always a good idea to think twice before you click the 'reply' button..

Members,

To my knowledge odometer tampering is going on for a long time originally there was only one computer expert who did this now there are few others too had followed his method of readjusting.

Reducing number of Kilometers on the newly imported vehicle for two thousand Rupees takes less than 15 minutes.I have mentioned about tampering the odometers early on a different thread on this forum.This is done purely to impress the buyer by the Vehicle dealers to get a better profit from the used Vehicle.

I don't think odometer tampering can be eliminated in Srilanka unless government impose a regulation only to import new Vehicles. Then there will not be under invoicing as at present. There by government will be benefited with correct duty revenue. We will be able to use new Vehicles trouble free running for some time.

For the members information some odometer adjusters have become big time importers of motor vehicles and they are Millionaires. I find one member in his post to this thread indicates the location of one who is in that service.

In Srilanka we have very good talented people who tampered the CTB Bus ticket machine first in the world 30 years back the manufacture too was surprised how Srilankans did same.

So we all have to live in this Paradise developing island pearl of the Indian ocean with all corruption. I still like to live in Srilanka as I find I am happy with the friendly Srilankans.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

(apologies if this is a naive question) can you pls explain the benefit of this?

I wish i had the link to the old AL thread which had very good car buying tips.Just as you feel the car as a driver, you should get a feel for it as a passenger as well.The fact it when you are getting yourself a new car your mind gets a bit exited.This might cause you to overlook some of the tiny details.Just jump in the car and let the owner drive it and carefully listen to all the rattles,noises and vibrations.These are some that that you might not really feel while you are busy driving the car. When you don't have the job of driving then there is more time for observing.And also make the test drive a long one so that you understand the driving habits of the previous owner. Some try to be heroes,specially young people, and show off their ride's capabilities and some ruin their cars due to lack of technical knowledge. One seller drove his car around 60kph with 'O/D off' throughout the whole test drive stating that O/D is only needed for outstation runs. So yea,it is important to understand the devil that's trying to sell the car than the car itself.

(apologies if this is a naive question) can you pls explain the benefit of this?

I wish i had the link to the old AL thread which had very good car buying tips.Just as you feel the car as a driver, you should get a feel for it as a passenger as well.The fact it when you are getting yourself a new car your mind gets a bit exited.This might cause you to overlook some of the tiny details.Just jump in the car and let the owner drive it and carefully listen to all the rattles,noises and vibrations.These are some that that you might not really feel while you are busy driving the car. When you don't have the job of driving then there is more time for observing.And also make the test drive a long one so that you understand the driving habits of the previous owner. Some try to be heroes,specially young people, and show off their ride's capabilities and some ruin their cars due to lack of technical knowledge. One seller drove his car around 60kph with 'O/D off' throughout the whole test drive stating that O/D is only needed for outstation runs. So yea,it is important to understand the devil that's trying to sell the car than the car itself.

http://forum.autolanka.com/Index.php?/topic/3430-how-to-buy-a-used-car-in-sri-lanka/

Here you go, written by saturn himself