• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Change Language In Prius 2008

susasl

Question

23 answers to this question

I want to change Japanese language to English and upgrade navigator . is it possible to do it model NHW 20 Please advice.

:unsure:

I think the version used in the Japanese domestics is Japanese only. You can change the language on the European Prius's.

Since the navigator unit is integrated with the car computer, fitting another unit would also prove a little difficult. To be honest I don't know what to suggest ....

I want to change Japanese language to English and upgrade navigator . is it possible to do it model NHW 20 Please advice.

:unsure:

yep, You cannot change language in japanese domestic models, If only you'd thought of buying a uk import one, that would have been the wise choise. Or get some jap language course! Just kidding.

yep, You cannot change language in japanese domestic models, If only you'd thought of buying a uk import one, that would have been the wise choise. Or get some jap language course! Just kidding.

So yours is european i presume..

and really, do you have to be so smug about it? and not just anyone; to a fellow prius owner! Shame on you

Edited by Watchman
  • Like 2

If you have Prius Japanese model, you can't change language. You may find some guys out there who convert Japanese display to English. I think it is bit risky. I don't know, its up to you.

You can download English version Prius Gen. II Manual here http://john1701a.com/prius/prius-userguide_iconic.htm Some functions may little bit vary on your edition (S,S touring, Anniversary edition etc..) But, you can use this to identify and familiar with Japanese multifunction display.

If you get familiar with it, it isn't hard to living with your original Japanese display. GPS not available here (even you converted your display), Audio system is partially English, so won't hard to manage it. A/C screen almost in English. Only thing is Phone and bluetooth connection.

Let me show you how to connect Bluetooth phone. Please note that, this is 2008, 10th Anniversary edition. Your screen may be different than here.

1. Go to Phone screen. Press phone button on your steering or follow these steps,

Press Info/G-Book button on the left hand side.

46104003.jpg

Then, Tap phone icon on the screen.

83199365.jpg

2. On this screen, tap "setting" button on the left bottom

12855122.jpg

Once you connect your phone, you can see it here (See top left corner) It also shows you phone battery level ,signal level and Bluetooth connection's strength (BT icon turns to red if signal level is low) Again, these info may depend on your phone model.

3. You'll get phone setting screen.

From here, you can manage your phone book, switch between two or more phones/profiles, lock down phone functions blah blah blah... Just tap Bluetooth icon to connect your phone.

24103999.jpg

4. You'll see Bluetooth setting screen below. Tap on "connect" button. Make sure you turn ON Bluetooth on your phone before proceed.

93979535.jpg

5. Bluetooth connection screen appear and it is trying to connect with your phone. Your phone will prompt you to enter pass-phase at this time. Enter pass-phase displaying on the screen.

If nothing happened within 10-15 seconds, search new Bluetooth devices on your phone. Once it found "HANDS FREE: (the device name displaying on the screen), connect it. you'll be prompted to enter pass-phase.

74761851.jpg

6.Once it connected, you'll get Bluetooth settings screen again. The button next to "Register" is for setup connection mode. There are two options, default is "Always connect" When you turn on your car next time, it will automatically connect with your phone. no need to follow above steps again.

Edited by lkgamage
  • Like 1

Hi Lkgamage,

that is a very informative post. The display conversion is based on user preference of course. Although if you study the screen, you can memorize which button does what and which label indicates which element, it all depends on whether or not you can easily recall the translations when on the move :). So if you can make do with the Japan display, good for you, but if you feel that it's inconvenient; just know that it can be converted and there is no risk involved. After all, I have done this to my Prius and it works just fine!.

Thanks.

BR.

Kaveen.

Kaveen,

Are you replacing display unit completely? or just updating the software?

As i know, there are slight differences in features for different editions. For example, 6CD changer, ETC Unit, In built HDD, VSC ... so, how you handle that? What happens to the Japanese girl in the car :P, will she speak in English?

Addition to my previous post, I have fixed full range FM audio setup from Sun Lanka. They just cut speaker wires and fixed it thru relays. When i turn ON new audio setup, speakers connecting to it, when i turned OFF it, speakers connecting to car audio system. I think you can fix this kind of mechanism from other places (like Pet#o) too. easy enough.

Hi again,

The software in the MFD is not upgradable, so I replace a few components in the display itself (replacing the whole unit is a bit more expensive). The features other than the HDD and TV (which anyway doesn't work in SL) works fine. As for the Japanese voice, this is only related to the sat nav system and intelligent parking assistant. As mentioned in the video, the nav is not used in the conversion since it is anyway useless in Srilanka. The intelligent parking assistant work fine even after the conversion, but the text for this is displayed in Japanese (My opinion is that this feature is not useful for Sri Lankans since all of us can do a quicker job at parallel parking than the parking assistant; this is only useful for countries with a lot of real estate).

As for the aftermarket radio you installed, can you please let me know where it was mounted?

Thanks

BR.

Kaveen.

Kaveen,

Are you replacing display unit completely? or just updating the software?

As i know, there are slight differences in features for different editions. For example, 6CD changer, ETC Unit, In built HDD, VSC ... so, how you handle that? What happens to the Japanese girl in the car :P, will she speak in English?

Addition to my previous post, I have fixed full range FM audio setup from Sun Lanka. They just cut speaker wires and fixed it thru relays. When i turn ON new audio setup, speakers connecting to it, when i turned OFF it, speakers connecting to car audio system. I think you can fix this kind of mechanism from other places (like Pet#o) too. easy enough.

As for the aftermarket radio you installed, can you please let me know where it was mounted?

radiowr.jpg

Regarding Japanese voice, I'm not sure whether it is tied with navigation system. Because, when i turn on the system, it always announce something about ETC unit and if i don't turned on headlight in dark environment and tried to move on, it announce different message. If i didn't close drivers door and put gear to D or R, getting another message. Also, i got messages few other situations, not exactly remember. Its too early to explained it all because i'm using it only 3 months.

Thanks Man !! really usefull :)

Its easy to configure bluetooth in Prius than in Honda insight :)

If you have Prius Japanese model, you can't change language. You may find some guys out there who convert Japanese display to English. I think it is bit risky. I don't know, its up to you.

You can download English version Prius Gen. II Manual here http://john1701a.com/prius/prius-userguide_iconic.htm Some functions may little bit vary on your edition (S,S touring, Anniversary edition etc..) But, you can use this to identify and familiar with Japanese multifunction display.

If you get familiar with it, it isn't hard to living with your original Japanese display. GPS not available here (even you converted your display), Audio system is partially English, so won't hard to manage it. A/C screen almost in English. Only thing is Phone and bluetooth connection.

Let me show you how to connect Bluetooth phone. Please note that, this is 2008, 10th Anniversary edition. Your screen may be different than here.

1. Go to Phone screen. Press phone button on your steering or follow these steps,

Press Info/G-Book button on the left hand side.
46104003.jpg

Then, Tap phone icon on the screen.
83199365.jpg

2. On this screen, tap "setting" button on the left bottom
12855122.jpg

Once you connect your phone, you can see it here (See top left corner) It also shows you phone battery level ,signal level and Bluetooth connection's strength (BT icon turns to red if signal level is low) Again, these info may depend on your phone model.

3. You'll get phone setting screen.
From here, you can manage your phone book, switch between two or more phones/profiles, lock down phone functions blah blah blah... Just tap Bluetooth icon to connect your phone.
24103999.jpg

4. You'll see Bluetooth setting screen below. Tap on "connect" button. Make sure you turn ON Bluetooth on your phone before proceed.
93979535.jpg

5. Bluetooth connection screen appear and it is trying to connect with your phone. Your phone will prompt you to enter pass-phase at this time. Enter pass-phase displaying on the screen.
If nothing happened within 10-15 seconds, search new Bluetooth devices on your phone. Once it found "HANDS FREE: (the device name displaying on the screen), connect it. you'll be prompted to enter pass-phase.
74761851.jpg

6.Once it connected, you'll get Bluetooth settings screen again. The button next to "Register" is for setup connection mode. There are two options, default is "Always connect" When you turn on your car next time, it will automatically connect with your phone. no need to follow above steps again.

On 7/11/2011 at 4:38 AM, kaveen said:

Hey guys,

For those who are interested in getting there Japanese display converted into English, Please check out my video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlDXztclB9Y

Thanks.

BR.

Kaveen.

Hi

The you tube link is not working. kindly requesting if someone can please help me. I have Toyota Prius 2009 and i want to change the display to English. currently it's in Japanese and i cant read Japanese. Please help

7 hours ago, A myth ash Lal said:

Hi

I have bought 2009 Model Toyota Prius Hybrid and I don't know how to change the display language to English. Everything is written in Japanese and I'm unable to understand Japanese language.

Kindly requesting if any one can help me with their intelligence.

Thank you

A myth ash Lal