• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Hybrid Vs. Gasoline Vehicle Comparison – Are Hybrid Vehicles Worth It?

charitha19

From my research, this is the information that I dug up. Below is a table comparing some popular hybrids with their gasoline counterparts. The table calculates how long it would take the gas savings of a hybrid to pay for the difference in purchase price from their gasoline sibling.

Some notes about the data:

The costs are the purchase price after taxes/levies/fees and with the ecoRebate applied if applicable.

The comparison does not account for the extra maintenance cost (or depreciation) of the hybrids.

Assumes the gasoline price of $1.30/L or around $4.91/gallon.

The comparison is based on financial differences only and does not evaluate the green benefits.

It seems that the best value out of the bunch is the Honda Civic Hybrid which would take over 6 years for the gas savings to make up for the difference in cost. Even though the Prius claims the best fuel mileage, its the worst value of the bunch. The Prius would take over 13 years to pay for its premium, thats 13 years too long for me. With all the extra electronics involved with a Hybrid, its also bound to have extra maintenance costs also, which is not accounted for.

Out of the vehicles compared, the price premium attached to the hybrid vehicles are just too great to be considered a cost savings relative to purchasing their gasoline counterpart. In order for me to even consider a Hybrid, their prices would have to come down to the level of their gasoline competition.

not my research.. source: http://www.milliondollarjourney.com/hybrid-vs-gasoline-vehicle-comparison-are-hybrids-worth-it.htm

post-2199-054383800 1305194982_thumb.jpg

Edited by charitha19

what.. no come back... all my work gone a waste....i am quite sadened... where is that posher guy....

OK charitha. I'll oblige you. I essentially agree with what you said:

1) It takes years to make up in fuel savings the extra cost of the hybrid system.

2) Hybrids make even less sense in SL than some other countries because the average yearly kilometers driven in SL is so low compared to other countries so it can take even longer in SL to recoup in petrol savings the price premium of the hybrid vehicle.

3) However, tax incentives subsidizes that extra cost of the hybrid system and changes #1 and #2.

OK charitha. I'll oblige you. I essentially agree with what you said:

1) It takes years to make up in fuel savings the extra cost of the hybrid system.

2) Hybrids make even less sense in SL than some other countries because the average yearly kilometers driven in SL is so low compared to other countries so it can take even longer in SL to recoup in petrol savings the price premium of the hybrid vehicle.

3) However, tax incentives subsidizes that extra cost of the hybrid system and changes #1 and #2.

wow cali.. i am impressed.. you are now talking a little intelegently.. i dont know what to say or think.. wow....mesmerizing...

From my research, this is the information that I dug up. Below is a table comparing some popular hybrids with their gasoline counterparts. The table calculates how long it would take the gas savings of a hybrid to pay for the difference in purchase price from their gasoline sibling.

Some notes about the data:

The costs are the purchase price after taxes/levies/fees and with the ecoRebate applied if applicable.

The comparison does not account for the extra maintenance cost (or depreciation) of the hybrids.

Assumes the gasoline price of $1.30/L or around $4.91/gallon.

The comparison is based on financial differences only and does not evaluate the green benefits.

It seems that the best value out of the bunch is the Honda Civic Hybrid which would take over 6 years for the gas savings to make up for the difference in cost. Even though the Prius claims the best fuel mileage, its the worst value of the bunch. The Prius would take over 13 years to pay for its premium, thats 13 years too long for me. With all the extra electronics involved with a Hybrid, its also bound to have extra maintenance costs also, which is not accounted for.

Out of the vehicles compared, the price premium attached to the hybrid vehicles are just too great to be considered a cost savings relative to purchasing their gasoline counterpart. In order for me to even consider a Hybrid, their prices would have to come down to the level of their gasoline competition.

not my research.. source: http://www.milliondollarjourney.com/hybrid-vs-gasoline-vehicle-comparison-are-hybrids-worth-it.htm

Is'nt the hybrid prices same as their gasolin counterparts in SL?

Edited by rover

• 2 weeks later...

People just don't like to think that the majority of what they pay goes to the government rather than the vehicle.

When Sri Lankans bought a s#itload of hybrids (before tax increase) they knew that most of what they had to spend was for the car and not for the government. That's why the deal was worth it.

This factor cannot be 'calculated' in a formula.

However, it is still more economical to drive a diesel vehicle than hybrid.

• Like 2

i bought a 08 civic hybrid with 36k on the clock. I'm quite surprised and disappointed in equal measure to find that the best fuel consumption figure I've managed to reach is around 9 k.m/l. Yet to take it out station so the above figure is in city limits. Which they say that a hybrid is ideal for. The people who sold me the car said it could do 14-15 and that's what research and reviews show as well. From a few people I've spoken to face a similar problem. I know driving style may affect the figures but how hard can a person drive within col city limits. With the exception of wanna be boy racers. Do any of you guys know what the problem might be? If so, some feedback would be much appreciated. Cheers.

i bought a 08 civic hybrid with 36k on the clock. I'm quite surprised and disappointed in equal measure to find that the best fuel consumption figure I've managed to reach is around 9 k.m/l. Yet to take it out station so the above figure is in city limits. Which they say that a hybrid is ideal for. The people who sold me the car said it could do 14-15 and that's what research and reviews show as well. From a few people I've spoken to face a similar problem. I know driving style may affect the figures but how hard can a person drive within col city limits. With the exception of wanna be boy racers. Do any of you guys know what the problem might be? If so, some feedback would be much appreciated. Cheers.

there is something seriously wrong with ur car mate.. have u taken it to the agents.. or does stafford not offer services for the hybrid...

now where are those tree huggeers at... yo hoooooo.. rover... cali.... whereeeee arrrrrrrr UUUUUUUU..... :mellow:

how do u explain this leaf eaters...

9km/l is unusually low fuel economy for a Civic Hybrid. You should be getting 14-15km/l and even more. Most hybrids get better economy in the city than the outstation partly because the city makes more use of the regenerative braking.

If I were you I would do a max fuel economy test to see if something is wrong with the car.

1) Learn how to drive a hybrid to get max fuel economy. Go on Youtube and put in 'hypermiling' for how to videos to learn how to get max fuel economy using hypermiling driving techniques.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=hypermiling+techniques&aq=1&oq=hypermiling

2) Then take the car out for a drive when there is not a lot of traffic or people on the road, say very early on a Sunday morning, and drive in a way for max fuel economy. Practice using the hypermile techniques. Use the real-time fuel economy and trip fuel economy readouts to help you maximize fuel economy.

3) If you manage a minimum 14,15km/l then it's the way you are driving that is reducing the fuel economy. If it's still 9/kml then something is likely wrong with your car.

Edited by Californikan
  • Like 1

Interesting topic.... I'd live to see the day Subaru produces a Hybrid B6... :lol:

that will be the day i send one of mervins suicide bomber to bomb all the subaru factories..

If Subaru made a hybrid, it would not be an econobox like the Prius, so I don't understand why you would not like it.

the torque characteristics of an electric motor are much better for a car than petrol/diesel engines; just that it needs to be something bigger than an "assist motor".

If Subaru made a hybrid, it would not be an econobox like the Prius, so I don't understand why you would not like it.

the torque characteristics of an electric motor are much better for a car than petrol/diesel engines; just that it needs to be something bigger than an "assist motor".

are u serious.. obviously u dont know what the subaru brand image is like.. i dont wanna see pancy hybrids with a subaru badge.. no way.. let toyota and the other ecnobox makers make hybrids....

9km/l is unusually low fuel economy for a Civic Hybrid. You should be getting 14-15km/l and even more. Most hybrids get better economy in the city than the outstation partly because the city makes more use of the regenerative braking.

If I were you I would do a max fuel economy test to see if something is wrong with the car.

1) Learn how to drive a hybrid to get max fuel economy. Go on Youtube and put in 'hypermiling' for how to videos to learn how to get max fuel economy using hypermiling driving techniques.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=hypermiling+techniques&aq=1&oq=hypermiling

2) Then take the car out for a drive when there is not a lot of traffic or people on the road, say very early on a Sunday morning, and drive in a way for max fuel economy. Practice using the hypermile techniques. Use the real-time fuel economy and trip fuel economy readouts to help you maximize fuel economy.

3) If you manage a minimum 14,15km/l then it's the way you are driving that is reducing the fuel economy. If it's still 9/kml then something is likely wrong with your car.

listen CALI.. i am not gonna buy a hybrid and go thorugh the extra pain of hypermilling it just to achive 14 or 15kmpl... period.. i can get that from driving a maruti.. and for 1/4 of the price... he should get minimum of 14 or 15 in normal drving conditions... what the hell.. i thought these precious earth savers are suppose to do atleast 20 kmpl hypermiling or not.. :blink:

are u serious.. obviously u dont know what the subaru brand image is like.. i dont wanna see pancy hybrids with a subaru badge.. no way.. let toyota and the other ecnobox makers make hybrids....

if you want to stay in your little "hybrid=econobox" well, fine...

OTOH, if you would like to explore what an electric motor can do for performance, start with the tesla roadster. 0-60 mph in < 4s, and that with a single-speed transmission.

listen CALI.. i am not gonna buy a hybrid and go thorugh the extra pain of hypermilling it just to achive 14 or 15kmpl... period.. i can get that from driving a maruti.. and for 1/4 of the price... he should get minimum of 14 or 15 in normal drving conditions... what the hell.. i thought these precious earth savers are suppose to do atleast 20 kmpl hypermiling or not.. :blink:

True. He should be getting 14-17km/l driving normally, under normal conditions.

I'm doing the process of elimination here.

He should get a baseline for the fuel economy that his car is capable of under ideal conditions. Ideal conditions lets us rule out other variables such as driving style, heavy traffic conditions etc and will give us a clear indication about whether something is wrong with his car or not.

If his fuel economy doesn't improve significantly under these conditions, we can safely say something is going on with the car.

Then I would speculate that it could be the infamous software update Honda did on 2006-2008 Civic Hybrids to protect the battery after a few premature battery failures.

http://news.consumerreports.org/cars/2010/08/honda-civic-hybrid-battery-update-brings-fueleconomy-complaints.html

Edited by Californikan

if you want to stay in your little "hybrid=econobox" well, fine...

OTOH, if you would like to explore what an electric motor can do for performance, start with the tesla roadster. 0-60 mph in < 4s, and that with a single-speed transmission.

tesler and others are not practial yet for use... so right now NO... hybrid is ecnomony.. what else is there to be desired in it.. now dont tell me u are one of thoese hybrid pushers.. because i dont wanna get mad today..

Honda hybrids are more fuel efficient in outstations. But 9km/l in the city is something strange. get your car checked asap.

tesler and others are not practial yet for use... so right now NO... hybrid is ecnomony.. what else is there to be desired in it.. now dont tell me u are one of thoese hybrid pushers.. because i dont wanna get mad today..

Ok you need to calm down and not try to accuse Sifaan of being a hybrid pusher. I can tell you right now that it isn't true and he does have a point here.

tesler and others are not practial yet for use... so right now NO...

not sure what is not practical about the tesla, except the price. but anyway I thought we were talking about the future ("the day Subaru produces a Hybrid B6"; btw seems they had a concept of a hybrid B5)

hybrid is ecnomony.. what else is there to be desired in it..

the different inherent characteristics of electric motors compared to ICE; which is exactly why the Tesla can go upto it's speed-limited 200kmph on a single-speed gearbox, while managing 0-60 in 3.7s

also, some hybrid implementations (not Toyota) allow you to select AWD (ICE to front, motor to rear; maybe also the other way around) when you need it (other times it selects FWD/RWD/AWD automatically)

Sri Lanka's current hybrid craze is driven by fuel economy and tax cuts; but that's not a fault of the technology.

now dont tell me u are one of thoese hybrid pushers.. because i dont wanna get mad today..

chill dude; I don't care about hybrid econoboxes like prius and insight one way or another; however I am interested in electric propulsion and what it means for the future of transport. IMHO eventually all but the cheapest cars will feature some kind of electric motor on board (with or without the ICE); some of them will be econoboxes, some will be performance cars. e.g. the car in the link by jerryda is a hybrid sports car, and has a (marginally) faster 0-60 time for hybrid version than for petrol.

• Like 1