• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Low Cost Car

matroska

Hi Guys,

I am a student with around 400-500 thousand bucks in hand looking for a preferably small car for day to day purposes. Doesn't have to be anything fancy just something that gets me from Point A to B without stalling in the middle of the road and without guzzling too much fuel. What options have i got?

without stalling in the middle of the road and without guzzling too much fuel.

I cannot say anything about your first requirement. You will have to keep an eye on the mechanical side if you buy an old car. But if i were you, followings are the one that i would consider. mini miner, or a VW beetle or a charade (there was a trueno ae86 or something for sale but cannot remember anything about the prices and stuff)

If you want something 'cool', I too, would suggest a VW beetle. U can get a really well maintained one for that budget.

If you don't mind driving a very boring, ugly but a very reliable and economical car, I would suggest a Corolla DX wagon (KE72). U might even find a diesel converted one within your budget and your wallet will be happy. Another option you got is Lancer Box Model. If you go to Ratnapura area, u might be able to find a well maintained car within your budget. Especially the one with the Orion engine just keeps running and running and running.

Hi Guys,

I am a student with around 400-500 thousand bucks in hand looking for a preferably small car for day to day purposes. Doesn't have to be anything fancy just something that gets me from Point A to B without stalling in the middle of the road and without guzzling too much fuel. What options have i got?

What about an previous gen. Mini Cooper? I figure it'd be fun to drive around and would make for student budget friendly fuel and maintenance bills.

Edited by Kavvz

What about an previous gen. Mini Cooper? I figure it'd be fun to drive around and would make for student budget friendly fuel and maintenance bills.

I owned a Mini in the past and I really loved that car, but I wouldn't recommend it for a guy who doesn't know much about cars. That's not because there's anything wrong with Minis, but if you are not too careful in inspecting a Mini, you might end up in trouble.

On top of it, maintenance is not really cheap. There are only a few mechanics in Sri Lanka who can repair Minis. If you don't know much about a Mini, they will take u for a nice ride.

Edited by Crosswind
  • Like 2

Hi Guys,

1.As you are a student keep that 5 lakhs with you to invest for your future studies.

2.19- Maruti 800 ,good on fuel ,easy to maintain.

I owned a Mini in the past and I really loved that car, but I wouldn't recommend it for a guy who doesn't know much about cars. That's not because there's anything wrong with Minis, but if you are not too careful in inspecting a Mini, you might end up in trouble.

On top of it, maintenance is not really cheap. There are only a few mechanics in Sri Lanka who can repair Minis. If you don't know much about a Mini, they will take u for a nice ride.

Ah I see. Cool. Easy on the mini it is... B)

Hi Guys,

a juicy topic after the mud slinging hybrid sing a song.......... :rolleyes:

i think your budget will give you a very good car for 500K ,

you are well set for a B210,310,B11, B12 (sometimes),

a very good VW for this budget,

A honda civic 13sri,14 sri

daihatsu charade,G10

corolla KE72 station wagon ( i dont agree that it is boring though) :D

Lancer C11/C12

lancer station wagon 1400 1979 model (you will have a balance cash as well) :rolleyes:

Lancer Box,,,,in pretty good condition for your budget (looks great in alloys as well)

Maruti 16 sri to 19- early edition with AC

suzuki 800 11sri, 13 sri ranges but not very powerful though

starlet EP 79 series a very good car and easy to use as well

mazda familia station wagon

mazda/ford 323

i am sure you will not have much problems ......all these cars have been in srilanka for a long time so there are enough forum members to add more.

• Like 1

may b out of the topic... anyway..

what do you guys thinking about Mitsubishi Colt (Second generation (Colt A150))? :unsure:

or maybe a daihatsu charade.

Hi guys,

thanks for your replies and helping me out . I think AE86 is rare and difficult to find. Otherwise it's a great car.

I had a look at a few B210/B310's but most of them were in a sorry state. Same with a particular lancer box though it was offered at less than 300k.

I saw a civic around my price range in AL - but do civics have a good fuel economy? If it does I think the civic is a great looking car. (Obviously the best looking ones are the Lancers(Box/Wagon-wijeweera model and the Civics). Otherwise i guess i'd have to go for a KE72 which seems to be everywhere so i assume there'd be no problems in finding spares :)

Hi guys,

thanks for your replies and helping me out . I think AE86 is rare and difficult to find. Otherwise it's a great car.

I had a look at a few B210/B310's but most of them were in a sorry state. Same with a particular lancer box though it was offered at less than 300k.

I saw a civic around my price range in AL - but do civics have a good fuel economy? If it does I think the civic is a great looking car. (Obviously the best looking ones are the Lancers(Box/Wagon-wijeweera model and the Civics). Otherwise i guess i'd have to go for a KE72 which seems to be everywhere so i assume there'd be no problems in finding spares :)

If you want a good condition Lancer Box, take a day off and go to Ratnapura. U will be amazed at the condition of these cars there. This was due to a superstition held by some gem businessmen that Lancer Boxes are lucky cars.

http://www.autolanka.com/ad.asp?ID=46820

http://www.autolanka.com/ad.asp?ID=48886

Civics are pretty good cars but I thought they go for a higher price than your budget because of the Honda fanboys out there.

If you want a good condition Lancer Box, take a day off and go to Ratnapura. U will be amazed at the condition of these cars there. This was due to a superstition held by some gem businessmen that Lancer Boxes are lucky cars.

http://www.autolanka.com/ad.asp?ID=46820

http://www.autolanka.com/ad.asp?ID=48886

Civics are pretty good cars but I thought they go for a higher price than your budget because of the Honda fanboys out there.

machang there are enough places to go for lancer, B310 and B210 in good condition just keep trying , there is a place in dehiwela close to kadawatha road side.....they has some good cars....

basically i have noticed that cars owned by professionals through out are in good condition and not hacked...services done on time....etc... :D

my friend got a B310 about and year ago owned by 2 engineers in the 80,s and then a doctor in the 90's in topping condition.

Hi guys,

what is the wijeweera model......... :unsure: any one knows about that.....there is also another one called attanayake model :D .....confusing to me.

this is the C12 right

wonder what is the story behind this........for ppl all over srilanka to call it in one unique name...... :D

I guess u are two young to know that :D

One Mr. Attanayake was arrested by the police back in 1990 or so and it was a much publicized event by the government at that time. There was a Lancer C12 Wagon parked on his car porch. This made some people refer to this car as 'Attanayake model'.

The Attanayake person was apparently the JVP leader, Rohana Wijeweera.

Edited by Crosswind

Hi Guys,

Your best option is a KE 72 station wagon. Rock solid reliability, simple design and easy to maintain. Watch out for corrosion though. I had a similar dilemma recently and this was my own personal conclusion.

• Like 1

I guess u are two young to know that :D

One Mr. Attanayake was arrested by the police back in 1990 or so and it was a much publicized event by the government at that time. There was a Lancer C12 Wagon parked on his car porch. This made some people refer to this car as 'Attanayake model'.

The Attanayake person was apparently the JVP leader, Rohana Wijeweera.

thanks very informative........ :)

what amuses me is that.......in those days when media was not so powerful how did the word go...around...maybe when wijeweera was captured the photo of the newspaper showed a picture of the car as well...and the rest is history.

also there is another Van model called rukmani devi....model....and someone told me that the vehicle she met with an accident was the same .... :unsure:

remember reading a thread on all those names in AL recently....

thanks very informative........ :)

what amuses me is that.......in those days when media was not so powerful how did the word go...around...maybe when wijeweera was captured the photo of the newspaper showed a picture of the car as well...and the rest is history.

Dude we had TV back then!!! :D

It was all over TV...