• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Land Rover Defender 110 Auto

fazdeen1

Hi guys,

I am thinking of importing a LR defender 2.4 TDCI PUMA double cab with automatic gear box. Just want to know if this will be an advantage when I am reselling the vehicle after using for some time.

I dont think so mate, unless a lady fancys owning one or someone specifically needs an auto..

But why bother of the resale value? If you really need, get her down.. Besides you can do a conversion here incase you change your mind..

I dont think so mate, unless a lady fancys owning one or someone specifically needs an auto..

But why bother of the resale value? If you really need, get her down.. Besides you can do a conversion here incase you change your mind..

I'm not sure if you should get a vehicle with an eye to doing a conversion. Because you'll have to swap everything from the gearbox, gearbox ecu, dashboard internal trim etc and that might set you back quite a bit.

But who knows, the auto might prove to be quite and it might end up being a selling point, but remember due to the rarity you will have to depend on spare part imports to maintain the auto box (not that it needs a lot of maintenance).

There are factory diesel Defenders with auto boxes? That's new to me. All I've come across are 3rd party conversions for TD5 and TDCi models, not factory fitted. Unless you're going to order it from Landrover Special Vehicles.

There are factory diesel Defenders with auto boxes? That's new to me. All I've come across are 3rd party conversions for TD5 and TDCi models, not factory fitted. Unless you're going to order it from Landrover Special Vehicles.

Hmm, I think you are right ! There seems to be lots of auto conversion kits based on the discovery but not factory automatics. Perhaps the best bet then is to buy a manual which is cheaper to import and buy a kit if you really want to do a conversion. You can always sell the car with the old manual transmission so the next owner has a choice of sticking to auto or converting it back to manual. The price of a kit seems to be quite dear though ...

Edited by The Don

The conversion is done by Ashcroft so the quality of work is excellent. When you think of Colombo traffic on rush hour its really good to have a auto box . I had a go at one of the demo 2.4 tdci it was good no complaints what so ever gear change the drive was perfect their other companies who does it cheap but Ashcroft seems to be the best that’s y I went for it.

The conversion is done by Ashcroft so the quality of work is excellent. When you think of Colombo traffic on rush hour its really good to have a auto box . I had a go at one of the demo 2.4 tdci it was good no complaints what so ever gear change the drive was perfect their other companies who does it cheap but Ashcroft seems to be the best that’s y I went for it.

They appear top of the list and I read through the details of conversion. Apparently the 2.4 TDCI was a bit difficult to mate to as no other land rover which comes with an auto box uses that engine. So they have had to fabricate some of the parts. I must admit the conversion looks good.

I must say sometimes I find it a bit funny when people talk about Colombo rush hour traffic and auto boxes. I mean no offence to everyone, but before I came over I also drove in the rush hour for about 3 years in a car with a manual box and manual steering as well. I actually found the manual transmission provided some benefits like being able to take advantage of gaps (by quick acceleration) for turn ins etc. But my journey was only 30-40 minutes (Nugegoda to Kollupitiya) and I had a few routes in case one got too congested.

Having said that Land Rover clutches are really heavy. I was surprised how heavy the puma clutch was considering how light the transit clutch is. But I guess the gearbox is Land Rover not Ford.

They appear top of the list and I read through the details of conversion. Apparently the 2.4 TDCI was a bit difficult to mate to as no other land rover which comes with an auto box uses that engine. So they have had to fabricate some of the parts. I must admit the conversion looks good.

I must say sometimes I find it a bit funny when people talk about Colombo rush hour traffic and auto boxes. I mean no offence to everyone, but before I came over I also drove in the rush hour for about 3 years in a car with a manual box and manual steering as well. I actually found the manual transmission provided some benefits like being able to take advantage of gaps (by quick acceleration) for turn ins etc. But my journey was only 30-40 minutes (Nugegoda to Kollupitiya) and I had a few routes in case one got too congested.

Having said that Land Rover clutches are really heavy. I was surprised how heavy the puma clutch was considering how light the transit clutch is. But I guess the gearbox is Land Rover not Ford.

There are also servo kits available to make the clutch easier, I've seen quite a few.. there was a chap importing them a while back.. takes the 'land rover feel' off though

Edited by tiv

There are also servo kits available to make the clutch easier, I've seen quite a few.. there was a chap importing them a while back.. takes the 'land rover feel' off though

I know a lot of people personally associate the heavy clutch with the Land Rover. I do think it's more a remnant of poor design but that is my view :) Land Rover has effectively been replaced as the vehicle of choice in most countries where hard core off roading is part of life (in Africa for example)and none of those vehicles have clutches as heavy as the Landy. But it's become part of it's identify :), the same way the lack of a proper silencer has become part of the Viking bus identify !

I'd welcome an automatic Defender 110 anytime. In fact, if I'm ever fortunate to own one, auto transmission one of the mods I'd make to it, along with rear power windows and rear a/c.

I know a lot of people personally associate the heavy clutch with the Land Rover. I do think it's more a remnant of poor design but that is my view :) Land Rover has effectively been replaced as the vehicle of choice in most countries where hard core off roading is part of life (in Africa for example)and none of those vehicles have clutches as heavy as the Landy. But it's become part of it's identify :), the same way the lack of a proper silencer has become part of the Viking bus identify !

You may have a point there mate, guess they never bothered.. even in the latest variant

Edited by tiv

:D Thats very true. I wonder why nobody cares about it all this time. I mean the sound pollution.

[/b][/u]

:D Thats very true. I wonder why nobody cares about it all this time. I mean the sound pollution.

They seem to like it, the lot, i mean the drivers and owners, they even have absurd horns to match..

Hi guys,

I am thinking of importing a LR defender 2.4 TDCI PUMA double cab with automatic gear box. Just want to know if this will be an advantage when I am reselling the vehicle after using for some time.

First thing is ,a Landy double cab is not easy to sell here.Sure someone will buy it for a CSW conversion.You are talking about adding 1Mil to it.so the resale value is obviously dropped.

2.4 TCDi Puma auto box is an aftermarket conversion.If you buy a professionally done conversion from a reputed shop like JE or Ashcroft, need not to worry.I have heard atleast one Auto conversion box failed in SL as a result of an improper mounting of an ATF cooler.Thats one of many reasons can go wrong.

Better not purchase an Auto Puma unless you check the source properly.similarly your potential buyers will also think the same way and guaranteed that you will have issues when considering resale value.

MINIACE

Edited by miniace