• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Quick Trivia 3

Watchman

On 5/12/2023 at 7:04 PM, Gummybr said:

Little crown lift back

Technically the petals that covers/encircles the "crown" (i.e. the center area holding the "seeds"). But YES ! It is a E80 series Corolla Liftback. Over to you @Gummybr

May 12th, 2023 was the 40th annivessary of the release of the E80 Corolla...so had to :

https://www.instagram.com/p/CsG4odmvkbe/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igshid=MmJiY2I4NDBkZg==

On 5/14/2023 at 6:55 AM, iRage said:

Technically the petals that covers/encircles the "crown" (i.e. the center area holding the "seeds"). But YES ! It is a E80 series Corolla Liftback. Over to you @Gummybr

May 12th, 2023 was the 40th annivessary of the release of the E80 Corolla...so had to :

https://www.instagram.com/p/CsG4odmvkbe/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igshid=MmJiY2I4NDBkZg==

You know better than me, I was under the impression that Corolla, Camry had something to do with a crown. Corolla I went with the Latin name.

Try this

Triv1.jpg

1 hour ago, Gummybr said:

You know better than me, I was under the impression that Corolla, Camry had something to do with a crown

Yes....they have something to do with a crown or related to a crown. Crown is obviously Crown, Camry is derived from the Japanese word for Crown. Corona is crown in latin and is also a wreath or circles that enclose something (in particular the sun) in English. When naming the car, looking at the brochures, etc...the term Corona seems to refer more to the circles around the sun which apparently was relevant to the car being robust and approachable (How one can approach the circles of the sun is way above my head). Ever noticed how the Corona badge is a star with a C that encircles it ?
Corolla is pretty much wreath/garland ?? in Latin (? I think). In English it is used in its latin form or to mean petals encapsulating/covering the middle of the flower. This looks like a crown the flower is wearing. Again, literature suggest this form of the word "crown" was used to symbolize the graceful and tender design of the car. This is also the reason why the Corolla logo has three flowers on top of the C (No idea why it is 3...some literature says it is to symbolize that the Corolla was developed using technology and know-how derived from the 3 main cars of the time: Crown, Corona and Publica). 

So yeah...they all have something to do with Crowns or are Crowns...

2 hours ago, Gummybr said:

You know better than me, I was under the impression that Corolla, Camry had something to do with a crown. Corolla I went with the Latin name.

Try this

Triv1.jpg

My daughter is a Backstreet Boys fan....when she was about 3...4 ish...she used to sing

"Quid playing gamezz wit my art" :D 

55 minutes ago, iRage said:

Yes....they have something to do with a crown or related to a crown. Crown is obviously Crown, Camry is derived from the Japanese word for Crown. Corona is crown in latin and is also a wreath or circles that enclose something (in particular the sun) in English. When naming the car, looking at the brochures, etc...the term Corona seems to refer more to the circles around the sun which apparently was relevant to the car being robust and approachable (How one can approach the circles of the sun is way above my head). Ever noticed how the Corona badge is a star with a C that encircles it ?
Corolla is pretty much wreath/garland ?? in Latin (? I think). In English it is used in its latin form or to mean petals encapsulating/covering the middle of the flower. This looks like a crown the flower is wearing. Again, literature suggest this form of the word "crown" was used to symbolize the graceful and tender design of the car. This is also the reason why the Corolla logo has three flowers on top of the C (No idea why it is 3...some literature says it is to symbolize that the Corolla was developed using technology and know-how derived from the 3 main cars of the time: Crown, Corona and Publica). 

So yeah...they all have something to do with Crowns or are Crowns...

I got the details from this, https://www.westernslopetoyota.com/blog/what-do-toyota-model-names-mean/

53 minutes ago, iRage said:

My daughter is a Backstreet Boys fan....when she was about 3...4 ish...she used to sing

"Quid playing gamezz wit my art" :D 

Right on. Better do the climb every mountain thing as well.

Talking about kids and giving them books to read with half words is not good for their development, my brother showed me a passage from a book that my niece has to read for comprehension and it had all these shortened words and he was fuming.

1 minute ago, Gummybr said:

Go to the Toyota Vehicle Lineage site...quite a good resource :) For each model they have the origin of the name and other info like release date. Also, for most models they have the catalogs as well. So you can go through the first gen catalogs, etc...to see what the whole philosophy of the model at the time of release was. Nerdy but interesting :) Sadly they don't have the same for the newer cars. Also, in some cases the meaning of the name changes (e.g. RAV4..the meaning of the acronym has changed with the new model)

59 minutes ago, iRage said:

Go to the Toyota Vehicle Lineage site

That site's a Gold mine - specially to look into grades and trims of Toyotas of yesteryear 

4 hours ago, Gummybr said:

Try this

Triv1.jpg

iRage is correct - maybe i can add a little more to it 😉 

image.png.d7e5b312b9da1982081c35fea443eb7c.pngimage.png.536093ef39bf0512778534597544fece.png

1 minute ago, Gummybr said:

Talking about kids and giving them books to read with half words is not good for their development, my brother showed me a passage from a book that my niece has to read for comprehension and it had all these shortened words and he was fuming.

Totally ! 

Okay...I will take it ?
image.png.a1bf96f1a787de917f161c3d41ff2a67.png

13 hours ago, Gummybr said:

will try and confuse you folks with this. Left a small detail in the picture for you to feed on

Geez dude ! Way to spoil my day. Since Satyajith said what it was I won't say it. I HATE!!! HATE !!! HATE !!! this thing ! When I was working for CARE in East Timor we got a fleet of this (5 in total) after I lost the battle to get 5 LC70s for my project (the Fords were literally 60% of the cost of the LCs). HATED THEM ! The rear cargo bench seats were just cusions on the floor board with another cushion screwed on to the side panel. So no one other that people with amputated legs could sit in the back. Then the rear seats, the door entrance was too narrow and the leg room was non existent. Engine and transmission were not too bad. Brakes....I can't remember if it had any. Clutch...stepping on a banana felt more reassuring. AAGGHHH !!! DAMN YOU MAN !!! If I may quote Greta T. "HOW DARE YOU !!!"

The generation after this one....it is like a completely different car. It is confirmation that Ford themselves would like to pretend it never existed. So bad. So so bad.

58 minutes ago, iRage said:

Geez dude ! Way to spoil my day. Since Satyajith said what it was I won't say it. I HATE!!! HATE !!! HATE !!! this thing ! When I was working for CARE in East Timor we got a fleet of this (5 in total) after I lost the battle to get 5 LC70s for my project (the Fords were literally 60% of the cost of the LCs). HATED THEM ! The rear cargo bench seats were just cusions on the floor board with another cushion screwed on to the side panel. So no one other that people with amputated legs could sit in the back. Then the rear seats, the door entrance was too narrow and the leg room was non existent. Engine and transmission were not too bad. Brakes....I can't remember if it had any. Clutch...stepping on a banana felt more reassuring. AAGGHHH !!! DAMN YOU MAN !!! If I may quote Greta T. "HOW DARE YOU !!!"

The generation after this one....it is like a completely different car. It is confirmation that Ford themselves would like to pretend it never existed. So bad. So so bad.

Really? I thought it was a well put together package. Dealt with 3 or 4 of these first gen ones when I worked for LR, they were so good that the first citizen of the country used to go outstation in one of the guard vehicles as they never broke down, infact he had one with a custom built rear seat which he could recline. Think they were all Auto transmissions cant remember much as that was almost 15 years ago. The aftersales was also good, I think they had some issue which was identified and one technical guy came and sorted out the brakes and the engine power.

I always thought they had good space at the back (of course you didnt sit on top like a LC but it was quite good.

7 minutes ago, Gummybr said:

Really? I thought it was a well put together package. Dealt with 3 or 4 of these first gen ones when I worked for LR, they were so good that the first citizen of the country used to go outstation in one of the guard vehicles as they never broke down, infact he had one with a custom built rear seat which he could recline. Think they were all Auto transmissions cant remember much as that was almost 15 years ago. The aftersales was also good, I think they had some issue which was identified and one technical guy came and sorted out the brakes and the engine power.

I always thought they had good space at the back (of course you didnt sit on top like a LC but it was quite good.

I believe depending on the trim they were somewhat bearable.  The brakes were god awful. They were pudgy and yes..they had a fault (master cylinder seals would wear out quite easily. It was fixed under warranty everytime). The engine and manual gearbox were nice. On par with what Toyota had. CLutch on the other hand was very "thin". Didn't inspire much confidence when pulling heavy loads. For a diesel 4x4 that actually had to do field work this was always disconcerting. However, I do not recall ever having the clutch go out prematurely. The rear cargo seats, the passenger variants had forward facing seats. Which were okay and not much different from the likes of the Fortuner, etc...they are there for short distances and work but not the most practical. We got the commercial variants (troop carriers), so the rear cargo seats were side facing. SO people sitting on them would be facing each other. It was horrid. It was sold as a 9 seater, but to sit 9 people, they had to be very small people. As for the rear normal seat, the issue was the placement of the seat itself. The lower bench/sitting part of the seat was too forward. This meant getting in and out (especially for large people) was a struggle as the legs/feet had to be twisted in weird ways (the Ranger of the period had the same issue). It felt very bottom of the shelf budget item. Needless to say this was the last time we bought either the Everest or the Ranger at the time. Preferred to buy a lesser number of LCs and Hiluxes and Tritons over these things.