• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Quick Trivia 3

Watchman

20 hours ago, Devinda_Z said:

Came with a 1.8L engine and manual gearbox?

Yes a Chinese sold as a British by the local dealer, who lost the agency after which the brand sold quite a lot of taller models due to the low duty on small engines. I loved those ads where they put the Union jack to say its British.

• Like 1

On 6/16/2023 at 4:23 PM, Gummybr said:

Ok so the dashboard is gives away the model

Interesting...for me it were the wheels :) . I am sure there are at least 6 other give away signs.

1 hour ago, Gummybr said:

I loved those ads where they put the Union jack to say its British.

They tried to use the whole Heritage thing to market those things in Japan (well the crossovers). . Bogward (which this car is not) also tried to do the same. They both Mega Gigantically failed. Right now the only Chinese company that is getting some focus is BYD with their EVs (even then its mainly because of the Toyota tie-up and there aren't many Japanese offerings).

47 minutes ago, iRage said:

I am sure there are at least 6 other give away signs.

There are but that BMW looking dashboard was what caught my eye, I knew it was a Chinese but couldnt pinpoint as I have seen only the hatch/notchback version. When the dashboard picture came up I knew the make and model.

52 minutes ago, iRage said:

They tried to use the whole Heritage thing to market those things in Japan (well the crossovers). . Bogward (which this car is not) also tried to do the same. They both Mega Gigantically failed. Right now the only Chinese company that is getting some focus is BYD with their EVs (even then its mainly because of the Toyota tie-up and there aren't many Japanese offerings).

OT: I think the BYD story is very different. BYD has been trying to get into the market and they have actually launched a massive operation to get into Europe. They already have the buses running in Europe with UK even building their buses.

Before the Toyota tie-up came in they went into Australia and New Zealand and have been successful. I hear they have orders numbering atleast 1000 cars in one go for those countries and countries like us have been neglected as they dont want to spend time processing orders for small numbers and rather take big orders. Yes they are very confident of their product and are very proud of their achievements. A full scale model launch will happen in the coming days with cheap small EV's and Very high end models coming up including Pick Ups.

They were always very ambitious but didnt have the products to take on the big names and concentrated only on the electric versions for RHD markets until two years ago, but it looks to be changing and they are now offering a whole heap of models for RHD markets and for other LHD markets excluding China.

Its just a shame BYD would be a big hit in Sri Lanka if the market was open and EV's with full guarantee was needed. They just sent a fully free of charge EV battery for a BYD bought to Sri Lanka by Laugfs in 2011 including the demurrage and fixing. 

• Like 2

On 6/18/2023 at 11:24 AM, Devinda_Z said:

Came with a 1.8L engine and manual gearbox?

Yes, and I think all 3 of you gentlemen have cracked it

Indeed it had a Manual Gearbox -  not sure if it was 6 Speed though. 

Ok - then @Devinda_Z will you take the stage or @iRage

On 6/17/2023 at 6:09 PM, Gummybr said:

I will leave a clue saying that the pictures are off a local advert to sell this car

Correct. 

14 minutes ago, matroska said:

the hidden wheels are a bit of a giveaway - a metropolitan poet 😉 

undefined

I believe it is called Nash Metropolitan. Kind of an odd ugly looking vehicle (hope I dont offend people) like the car James May drove in Grand Tour Euro Crash.

Take the floor sir.

The pic I posted is off google maps.

Triv Nash.jpg

37 minutes ago, Gummybr said:

Nash Metropolitan

Yup it is - the Nash rambler too has this half-hidden wheels design style. I could not find a subtle clue so just went with Nash = Ogden Nash the poet :D 

That's quite something to see on google maps TBH :D 

1 hour ago, matroska said:

woah that was easy wasn't it :D ? 

Let's keep this running till someone else joins in on the fun  - your turn! 

So the previous one is of the Mitusbishi Towny. Try this, hope I have made it hard.

Triv 123.jpg