• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Quick Trivia 3

Watchman

2 hours ago, Duan27 said:

Z1? Saw a pic circulating on insta of one in SL with British number plates iirc

Yes...there is one with British plates. No idea what the deal is. Its either a car that was brought down under something like a blue permit or something or something that was stuck in the port and auctioned off I suppose.

4 hours ago, iRage said:

LOL...nice. a BMW Z1 it is. I believe there is one (maybe two) in SL and it is getting restored (?)

image.png.36c4e65a5c58a8be8e9c191f981fe31b.png

Over to you...

Looks like a LHD, so if its a port auction the buyer will have to convert it to RHD and show the RMV before registration

20 hours ago, iRage said:

LOL...nice. a BMW Z1 it is. I believe there is one (maybe two) in SL and it is getting restored (?)

image.png.36c4e65a5c58a8be8e9c191f981fe31b.png

Over to you...

I wouldn't have missed this - I received a  Taiyo Remote Controlled Z1 as a kid. (pic is off google- but i have the exact thing ) doesn't run now but still proudly sitting in a showcase at our old house. That protruding lip on the RC  is an addition to prevent damage when the car bumps into walls. 

image.thumb.png.56e0fad2672fe87c448da7238eef5a7b.png

Ok here's the next one! 

image.png.3cffb96f9e1ce927175a46248aec75c3.png

This was a rebadged something else. A second variant of this model is also based on another car, from a totally different maker. (Bore the same model name as the car in the image with  " II " appended to the name. 

38 minutes ago, matroska said:

Ok here's the next one! 

image.png.3cffb96f9e1ce927175a46248aec75c3.png

This was a rebadged something else. A second variant of this model is also based on another car, from a totally different maker. (Bore the same model name as the car in the image with  " II " appended to the name. 

Hmmm... so the base looks like a first-gen Suzuki Swift/Cultus Mk2 (i.e., facelift) for the export market or the van variant for the Japanese market. But I can't figure out which derivative this could be, which casts doubt on what the base car itself is.
If the platform was rebadged and then changed with generations, then I reckon it was a GM marquee like Cheverolet or Daewoo or something. The "II" part is also throwing me off. In some markets the 2nd gen was sold as Swift II but was still an actual Swift. So the rebadged variant followed the same but with a different car....hmmm 

1 hour ago, iRage said:

so the base looks like a first-gen Suzuki Swift/Cultus

This is correct. The base is indeed a Cultus/Swift. 

And, no - NOT Cheverolet or Daewoo

Let me give some more details. The derivative car , the one in question shares the first five letters of it's name with another subcompact sold by this other marquee. The other subcompact, while not seen everyday nowadays was fairly popular back in the day in Sri Lanka. (the car in question is rare). 

The -II variant, I have not seen under that particular name in Sri Lanka. It's base car in a different body style is available in Sri Lanka. 

Edited by matroska
clarity

1 hour ago, matroska said:

This is correct. The base is indeed a Cultus/Swift. 

And, no - NOT Cheverolet or Daewoo

Let me give some more details. The derivative car , the one in question shares the first five letters of it's name with another subcompact sold by this other marquee. The other subcompact, while not seen everyday nowadays was fairly popular back in the day in Sri Lanka. (the car in question is rare). 

The -II variant, I have not seen under that particular name in Sri Lanka. It's base car in a different body style is available in Sri Lanka. 

Aha ! The "different body style" part, I believe, is the giveaway. If I am right.
That weird little nugget of a name that starts with G ? Still a GM affiliated brand :) Just not American or South Korean.

30 minutes ago, iRage said:

That weird little nugget of a name that starts with G ? Still a GM affiliated brand

Correct on both counts! Shall we wait for someone to come up with an answer? 

This GM thing was more like badge engineering right? I doubt GM had anything to do with them.

I love the 1.3l DOHC found on these, pretty awesome cars considering they were light. I take it the

name you are looking for is for the Isuzu name Geminett, but havent seen any here. I have seen people advertising these as Isuzu's but never the Geminett. 

Second gen was what we Sri Lankans referred to as the Hungarian Swift. I have seen a convertible of same in Sri Lanka.

17 minutes ago, Gummybr said:

This GM thing was more like badge engineering right? I doubt GM had anything to do with them.

Yes...GM had nothing to do with these cars. It was the time when Americans were pissed off at the Japanese for selling more cars in the US than they were. So Japanese brands started putting US brand badges on Japanese built cars and built more Japanese cars at American plants with American badges on them (only a very few actual American models were actually introduced in Japan under these agreements).

20 minutes ago, Gummybr said:

I have seen people advertising these as Isuzu's but never the Geminett. 

I think its one of those things were people don't know what to call them or call them by a name that they think will help sell the car faster. I have seen one being advertised and Isuzu Mini Gemini.

25 minutes ago, matroska said:

Correct on both counts! Shall we wait for someone to come up with an answer? 

Yes..and I believe Gummy got it :)

19 minutes ago, iRage said:

I think its one of those things were people don't know what to call them or call them by a name that they think will help sell the car faster. I have seen one being advertised and Isuzu Mini Gemini.

I think for some Isuzu is a better sounding name that Suzuki 🤪. I have seen people advertising Suzuki trucks as Isuzu, maybe they think its the same company.

True enough the old Cultus shared a bit of parts with the Isuzu of the same era, namely the dashboard and meter clusters which looked quite identical.