• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

What Does "mint Condition" Mean To You?

terrabytetango

I'm in the market for a new car, and have looked at a few during the past few days. Being a n00b to the whole car hunting experience, one thing I've come to realize how frivolously people throw around terms like "Mint Condition" and "Excellent Condition". As an example, I went to look at a car posted here on A/L, apparently in "mint" condition. The reality was that the front bumper was half falling off, several scuff marks on both sides of the body, and a dent on the rocker panel with corrosion. And don't even get me started on the interior. When contacted prior to the visit, the seller was insistent the car was in the described condition.

The pics in the advert had crucial detail obscured by the watermark, especially the front and rear quarters where the bumper lines up with the quarter panel/fender, and I have noticed this in a few other listings as well.

So my question is, is this the norm or was I just unlucky in driving all the way to disappointment? And more importantly, do potential buyers even care about the adage used by sellers?

Edited by terrabytetango

Nah, the terms don't really matter imo. People will say anything to get their vehicles sold. I mean, it's a known fact that odometers are monkeyed around with to increase the selling price or whatever, so what's a few words in a advert then eh?

Besides, you need to see the vehicle to form an opinion anyway.

I'm in the market for a new car, and have looked at a few during the past few days. Being a n00b to the whole car hunting experience, one thing I've come to realize how frivolously people throw around terms like "Mint Condition" and "Excellent Condition". As an example, I went to look at a car posted here on A/L, apparently in "mint" condition. The reality was that the front bumper was half falling off, several scuff marks on both sides of the body, and a dent on the rocker panel with corrosion. And don't even get me started on the interior. When contacted prior to the visit, the seller was insistent the car was in the described condition.

The pics in the advert had crucial detail obscured by the watermark, especially the front and rear quarters where the bumper lines up with the quarter panel/fender, and I have noticed this in a few other listings as well.

So my question is, is this the norm or was I just unlucky in driving all the way to disappointment? And more importantly, do potential buyers even care about the adage used by sellers?

It means the car is as shiny and clean like freshly minted money and smells as fresh as your breath after brushing with mint toothpaste :D

I also like the description "(s)topping condition" and "lady doctor used" :rolleyes:

... Or someone spilled minty toothpaste all over the carpets.

Important thing to know is not show how much you like the car and not be too eager to put down a offer. Dont take it too far and act like a dick, but just relax. Make them sell the car to you at the price you want to pay, dont buy the car from them at the price that they want to sell to you.

Just don't do the stereotypical kicking the tires to check how good they are, it'll actually piss some people off lol

• Like 5

It means the car is as shiny and clean like freshly minted money and smells as fresh as your breath after brushing with mint toothpaste :D

I also like the description "(s)topping condition" and "lady doctor used" :rolleyes:

Why some folks feel the need to publish half their CV in an ad for a car (ex: "owned by a senior manager at a multinational company" - this was for an EK3 Civic EXi btw), I will never understand.

When it comes to buying a used car, words mean very little, if you're keen on the car, you need to go see it in person and be well prepared for a few disappointments.

, you need to go see it in person and be well prepared for a few disappointments.

++ 2 on this advice

Went to see a manual black Lancer – some where in Thatlawatrhugoda - a so called “doctor owned”

The spoiler had a paint job done using a toothbrush me think, centre console panel had parts work out – with the vents broken etc… the list goes on

I was expecting low asking price but that was worse than the spoiler

i guess when you say doctor owned they mean that doctors are using it carefully and the cars are well maintained because they are never short of money.but then what do mean by engineer owned, lawyer owned...... :( ....i am confused....

looks like we might see cars with teacher owned- accident free because it has been driven with discipline :P

minister owned-guaranteed that the car can top 100 KMPH, it has got AC, and you will never have any cases pending against it :lol:

actress owned- :ninja:

i guess when you say doctor owned they mean that doctors are using it carefully and the cars are well maintained because they are never short of money.but then what do mean by engineer owned, lawyer owned...... :( ....i am confused....

you mean, all the engineers and lawyers you know are poor?

Huh? So being a doctor makes a person use cars more carefully? :huh:

Now you know why people put meaningless terms like 'doctor used' etc on their ads. It's to ensnare people like you!

• Like 1