• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Subaru Legacy 4Th Gen. 2004-2009

Eurofan

Guys, I'm looking to invest in a 4th gen Subaru legacy built from 2004 onwards until the very latest update. Any idea if there are any b4 turbo's in this country and what sort of a price it should demand for a well used unit?

Just to make sure what im looking for;

2005 Subaru Legacy GT - 3 qtrs

Edited by Eurofan

Guys, I'm looking to invest in a 4th gen Subaru legacy built from 2004 onwards until the very latest update. Any idea if there are any b4 turbo's in this country and what sort of a price it should demand for a well used unit?

Hi,

Yes, there are a few number of 4th Gen Legacy's in town and if I am not mistaken majority of these are turbos (with this model its no more sequential twin turbo but a larger single turbo - I guess similar to Impreza WRX turbo unit)

There was one turbo legacy (auto / triptronic) for sale (I think it was 2004 or 2005 model)few months ago, a silver color one with customized 18" wheels for 4.8 million (I thought the price tag was little too steep) . I see this car around and not sure whether its been sold or not.

There was another one with my friend for sale (a black, manual, customized gold color alloys, sunroof, fabric interior). As I recall, he sold this for 3.5 million range and imported new legacy GT Turbo (2010 model) - As I know the buyer of this car had met with a moderate scale accident and he was looking forward to sell the car again. this was maintained & repaired by Senok throughout.

Darin had one for sale (this was long time ago I guess) - an unregistered dark blue color one, auto / triptronic, 2004, top of the spec JDM unit for 6 million range.

I hope above information would help you to get an idea on price range of this (now these prizes could be lesser)

As RWD suggested the best thing you can do is keep in touch with Jehan at Senok and they would know if there is any for sale these days. Also, you can keep a tab on Darin's place as well.

Edited by SubaruB4TT

Apparantly only a very few in the country. Seen a black one with dual exhaust (probably the 2.5 GT) around the crescat area.

Yes, thats actually at Nawam Mawatha (with KM plates) - that is new GT (2009-2010 onwards), with this model onwards there are no more frame-less doors. The price tag of this model could be way higher than the prices that I mentioned for the earlier model.

Hello Eurofan,

I have a 2006 model year with the turbo engine and can fill you in on any questions you might have about reliability etc. It is a real blast to drive and I prefer the single larger turbo over the smaller twin set up in the earlier models.

Best,

Chris

Hello Eurofan,

I have a 2006 model year with the turbo engine and can fill you in on any questions you might have about reliability etc. It is a real blast to drive and I prefer the single larger turbo over the smaller twin set up in the earlier models.

Best,

Chris

Def the single turbo is more reliable and feels more like a wrx compared to the twin turbo of the BE5 B4....However i have heard the twin turbo's have better top end power on 3rd and 4th gear after about 120KM....

Def the single turbo is more reliable and feels more like a wrx compared to the twin turbo of the BE5 B4....However i have heard the twin turbo's have better top end power on 3rd and 4th gear after about 120KM....

Gayan,

You could be onto something. While never having experienced the twin turbo set up above 120km/h personally, my specific unit is pushing about 300 hp at the wheels now with some of the mods that have been completed. The mapping that was done using my COBB tuning port reduced the lag time and helped increase peak boost over a wider torque curve (aka flatter curve). My Legacy is the Outback model versus the sedan. Attached is a picture - enjoy!post-3555-094988000 1317237349_thumb.jpg

Edited by chris_abayasinghe

Gayan,

You could be onto something. While never having experienced the twin turbo set up above 120km/h personally, my specific unit is pushing about 300 hp at the wheels now with some of the mods that have been completed. The mapping that was done using my COBB tuning port reduced the lag time and helped increase peak boost over a wider torque curve (aka flatter curve). My Legacy is the Outback model versus the sedan. Attached is a picture - enjoy!post-3555-094988000 1317237349_thumb.jpg

Oh you own a USDM Subaru i thought it was a JDM BL5 that we get in SL...not sure about the US Subaru's as the engine displacement is 2.5 comapared to the 2 liters we get here..... This was told to me by a owner of a 4th gen legacy who felt the twin turbos having better top end power... Nice outback.....

• 4 months later...

Are you sure your primary is kicking in properly ? It should come on after 2.5 rpm and should give you sufficient power till second one comes on board. Actually the primary is not very small compared to the second, so it could be u have a issue with the turbo itself or wastegate, the system is too darn complex, but you might find the below article useful.

http://www.veloce.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Twin%20Turbo%20Operation/ttopprt2.htm

Are you sure your primary is kicking in properly ? It should come on after 2.5 rpm and should give you sufficient power till second one comes on board. Actually the primary is not very small compared to the second, so it could be u have a issue with the turbo itself or wastegate, the system is too darn complex, but you might find the below article useful.

http://www.veloce.pw...on/ttopprt2.htm

I hope you are not talking out of experience taken out of your own car.I hear it was botched up pretty badly after the massive accident it had...ah yes.I know all about that. ;)

I hope you are not talking out of experience taken out of your own car.I hear it was botched up pretty badly after the massive accident it had...ah yes.I know all about that. ;)

So I see you have been doing some homework... :) accident was 3 years ago ! Cars do meet with accidents but unlike some other guys I don't keep it a secret.

Gayan,

Nice picture! The Legacy looks quite at home amongst all that snow :D

http://www.veloce.pw...on/ttopprt2.htm

Jehan@Senok told me there's nothing wrong with my turbos. Is your 1st turbo kicking in at 2500rpm? I feel mine is kicking-in much earlier at around 1,700rpm (Wiki say 2000rpm though) with plenty of grunt. But I don't feel enough of a punch when 2nd Turbo is supposed to come alive except when I am on 3rd gear or while driving at speeds in excess of 110-120kph.

Jehan@Senok told me there's nothing wrong with my turbos. Is your 1st turbo kicking in at 2500rpm? I feel mine is kicking-in much earlier at around 1,700rpm (Wiki say 2000rpm though) with plenty of grunt. But I don't feel enough of a punch when 2nd Turbo is supposed to come alive except when I am on 3rd gear or while driving at speeds in excess of 110-120kph.

if u feel correctly u will even feel the small lag in the handover phase... usually i felt the boost more on the 2nd turbo..

Pretty sure my primary starts when I rev over 2500, its ok since most of the time I drive in traffic. And the second comes on around 4500, by which time the cars is reaching close to 100. I usually step on the accelerator gradually so don't feel that much of a grunt

Your secondary turbo should be felt even on the 2nd gear best is to fix a boost guage and check...however b4's are all about top end power they are damm quick on 3rd and 4th gears.....

A good boost gauge will set u back about Rs 30k , and the cheaper ones ( Sold @ M* Cade ) are not that reliable in the reading. So if you are running the car stock there is no real advantage in having one.

Pretty sure my primary starts when I rev over 2500, its ok since most of the time I drive in traffic. And the second comes on around 4500, by which time the cars is reaching close to 100. I usually step on the accelerator gradually so don't feel that much of a grunt

A good boost gauge will set u back about Rs 30k , and the cheaper ones ( Sold @ M* Cade ) are not that reliable in the reading. So if you are running the car stock there is no real advantage in having one.

I'm sorry sir.I happen to know that your car has no use of a boost guage ;)...unless you have. them for aesthetic value ofcourse...

Jehan said he fixed a boost gauge on my car temporally to check everything's in order. But based on what Charith and Gayan said, I could of course get a second opinion. Who'd be the ideal person to get a second opinion on B4 TT set-up? Nadeera? BDW heard of a guy called Chana too(from down South), how is he?

Edited by isurujosh