• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Email Scams

mirage7777

Moderator, pls transfer this to a similar heading - i was not able to find any.

This is regarding an email I received for my car advertised on the net.

This is the initial email I received

"Hello I saw your Vehicle posted for sale which am very interested to buy

what is the condition

Regards,

Joseph Gregg Evans"

After I replied - he sent me the following :-

"Hello,

Thanks for your prompt reply to my request;

it seems to me that you are a very sincere person i want to use this means to inform you that I will buy your Vehicle at your given price.

But I have a business proposal for you.

I am a captain with the United Nations troop in Iraq, on war against terrorism. Based on the United States legislative and executive decision, for withdrawing troops from Iraq. Our mission is to help beef up terrorist targeted states, mostly the United States and the European Union on war against terrorism.

On the other hand I want to inform you that I have in my possession the sum of (15.9million U.S.D) Which I got from crude oil deal here in Iraq. I deposited this money with a Red Cross agent informing them that we are making contact for the real owner of the money. It is under my power to approve who so ever that comes forth for this money.

I want to invest the money in your country as soon as I am deployed for a good business, anyway you will advice me on that since I am not a business person. I can not move this money to United States because I will be in your country for about 3years, so I need someone I could trust. If you accept i will transfer the money to you.

And you will be the beneficiary because I am a uniformed person and I cannot be parading such an amount so I need to present someone as the beneficiary. I am an American and an intelligence officer so to say, I have a 100% authentic means of transferring the money through a diplomatic courier service .I just need your acceptance and trust, and then all is done. Please if you are interested in this transaction I will give to you the complete details you need for us to carry out this transaction successfully, I decided to find someone that is real and not imaginary and that is why I went for a secured site where I can be sure that the person is real. I believe I can trust you.

Where we are now we can only communicate through our military communication facilities which is much secured so nobody can monitor our conversation, then I can explain in details to you,at the moment i can only reach you through email, because our calls might be monitored, i just have to be sure of whom I am dealing with.

I will give to you 30% of the sum and 70% is for me. I hope am been fair on this deal, get back to me with your full information such as:

Your Full Name--------------------------

Your Full Address------------------------

Your Direct Cell phone Number----------------------

If you are interested please send me your personal details for further information when I am out of our military network am writing from a fresh email account so if you are not interested do not reply to this e-mail and please delete this message, if no response after 3days I will then search for someone else. I wait for your contact details so we can go on.

Regards,

Capt. Joseph Gregg Evans"

Since this was too good to be true -- I googled & found out that the good 'capt' has sent a similar email to anothe, who was selling his boat in Aussie.

Link- here

Whilst reading same link -- it seems there are paypal scams as well.

All the above is FYI only.

If you guys have encountered other scams - pls let the members know.

[Edited link - now it shd work]

Edited by mirage7777

Very common here in Aus. Both times when I sold my car and bike I got emails like this from a guy who said he was working in an off shore oil rig. I got the email even after I clearly mentioned it was a cash only sale and no paypal scams please so I told the guy to and f*** him self.

This type of scams are common ,the chances are that if they send 100 emails there might be atleaset 2 people who will fall for it!

please reply and ask that asshole why he wants to buy a car from you in SL when he is an American and based in Iraq !

what is the condition

Regards,

Joseph Gregg Evans"

"Hello,

it seems to me that you are a very sincere person i want to use this means to inform you that I will buy your Vehicle at your given price.

I am a captain with the United Nations troop in Iraq, on war against terrorism. Based on the United States legislative and executive decision, for withdrawing troops from Iraq. Our mission is to help beef up terrorist targeted states, mostly the United States and the European Union on war against terrorism.

On the other hand I want to inform you that I have in my possession the sum of (15.9million U.S.D) Which I got from crude oil deal here in Iraq. I deposited this money with a Red Cross agent informing them that we are making contact for the real owner of the money. It is under my power to approve who so ever that comes forth for this money.

I want to invest the money in your country as soon as I am deployed for a good business, anyway you will advice me on that since I am not a business person. I can not move this money to United States because I will be in your country for about 3years, so I need someone I could trust. If you accept i will transfer the money to you.

And you will be the beneficiary because I am a uniformed person and I cannot be parading such an amount so I need to present someone as the beneficiary. I am an American and an intelligence officer so to say, I have a 100% authentic means of transferring the money through a diplomatic courier service .I just need your acceptance and trust, and then all is done. Please if you are interested in this transaction I will give to you the complete details you need for us to carry out this transaction successfully, I decided to find someone that is real and not imaginary and that is why I went for a secured site where I can be sure that the person is real. I believe I can trust you.

Where we are now we can only communicate through our military communication facilities which is much secured so nobody can monitor our conversation, then I can explain in details to you,at the moment i can only reach you through email, because our calls might be monitored, i just have to be sure of whom I am dealing with.

I will give to you 30% of the sum and 70% is for me. I hope am been fair on this deal, get back to me with your full information such as:

If you are interested please send me your personal details for further information when I am out of our military network am writing from a fresh email account so if you are not interested do not reply to this e-mail and please delete this message, if no response after 3days I will then search for someone else. I wait for your contact details so we can go on.

Regards,

Since this was too good to be true -- I googled & found out that the good 'capt' has sent a similar email to anothe, who was selling his boat in Aussie.

Link- here

I once played along with one of these UAE 'oil' Ministers trying to figure out what the scam is. Finally he said that to enable the deal, they need me to pay them USD100 as a lawyer fee to set up an account for me there to transfer the funds (million of USD) ... ;) BINGO... That's the scam.

Best solution , if you have time for few mails a day, take the guy on a 'Counter Ride'. give him hopes and more hopes laugh.gif until he backs off. further you can tell him you are selling your car to launch gay bar here and need stars laugh.gif

MINIACE

• Like 1

I tend to get these mails from 'ladies' wishing to transfer their 'funds'. I always reply back that I'm willing to help, provided that they send me either a set of pictures or video of them 'en nude' :angry-smiley-048:

Alas .. they never reply after that!

This used to happen where I'm at few years back.

I'd just have some fun with this guy if I were you.

I've had one of these guys strung up for months and made him spend some money in the process.

Some people do scammer baiting as a hobby,they wait for a scam emails and take them for a ride and make them do all sorts of stupid shit...Checkout the scambaiter.com http://thescambaiter.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15

They made one nigerian scammer do this...lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9u2X_HnNU8

• Like 1

Some people do scammer baiting as a hobby,they wait for a scam emails and take them for a ride and make them do all sorts of stupid shit...Checkout the scambaiter.com http://thescambaiter.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15

They made one nigerian scammer do this...lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9u2X_HnNU8

nice one XD

oh and once i got a girl saying that she wanna come to sri lanka to study

and weather i can give my account no. to transfer all her money and crap.

oh and once i got a girl saying that she wanna come to sri lanka to study

and weather i can give my account no. to transfer all her money and crap.

hey Schiffer say to her what vishkid said in and you bee fine bro. :D

. I always reply back that I'm willing to help, provided that they send me either a set of pictures or video of them 'en nude' :angry-smiley-048:

Used to be quite common for people who advertised their cars on Yahoo, Craigslist etc, or those who clicked on "too good to be true" offers. I once had some fun with the guy, in the end revealing I knew what he was after (if you reply you will generally get someone responding). When I asked why he does it, he replied "well, what else can I do?"

Another Scam Email I received this morning i post under.

Date: 10/8/2011 8:33:10 PM

To: undisclosed-recipients:

Subject: Be informed

Be informed that the Federal Government has Approved the release of $9.5M

which has been in this Bank for many years UNCLAIMED.contact MR OSAZE OSIFO on

Email:([email protected])for claim, thanks.

****************************************************************************************************************

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Aother one ......

"Dear Sir/madam

My name is Kahn please i will kindly want to know if this Car is still available for sale in your Location and i want to know the condition of the car, i will kindly want you to email me your contact with your phone an i want you to tell me the term of your payment you accepted..i will be waiting for your reply asap.this is my email address with my phone number([email protected]) tel 3017736135

Best Regard...

Kahn Jacob"

after I answered -->his reply.....

"Thank you for your respond, i will kindly want you to know that am interested in this car so please i want you to email me the total of this car and i want you to know that i will prepared for the payment but i will want you to know that am paying you with check so you can send me your information to write on the check don't worry about the shipping my shipping agent will take care of that and i want to convert this money in us dollars..i will be waiting for your reply asap....

Best Regard

Kahn"

what is the condition

Regards,

Joseph Gregg Evans"

"Hello,

Regards,

Link- here

[Edited link - now it shd work]

Edited by mirage7777

Dude, why don't you just ignore and delete them?

On a daily basis we win 50 million dollars, chance to grow the penis by 6 inches, attract all kinds of hot women, etc.

Anyone who has an Email address gets them. This is not a novelty.

Edited by VVTi

Best solution , if you have time for few mails a day, take the guy on a 'Counter Ride'. give him hopes and more hopes laugh.gif until he backs off. further you can tell him you are selling your car to launch gay bar here and need stars laugh.gif

Please don't do that. Almost all the spammers do bulk email sending with a computer program. Some of the programs have "intelligence" built-in to mark whether a given email address is valid over time. When you reply, you're indicating that the email address is valid. Spammer now know the valid email addresses and sell the email lists to a higher price etc...

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys this is something i came across today and thought of sharing.

2m6wjlk.png

This is a common method of phishing and i know a lot of people who have fallen victim for this kind of scams.

couple of things you should note here

1) The sender has the exact subject of FB messages and the exact layout of FB messages.

2) The domain was the one that gave away the scam i.e noreply@facebookshamed.com

What these types of mail will do is lure you into a website that looks exactly like facebook and ask for your password to authenticate if its really you, if you click such a link always check the URL on the address bar. I didn't visit the site but a simple hovering over the link showed that the link was masked to show a facebook address but was actually redirected to a site hosted in 110mb.com which im pretty sure looks exactly like face book.

so my advice is

Always check the email address if you get a mail claiming that its from Facebook or another site of which you are a member of

Always hover over links to see if its masked, in firefox it shows the actual address on the bottom left corner when you keep your mouse cursor over the address.

And if you already clicked such a link always check the address bar if the URL is www.facebook.com/xxxxxxxxxx

Also make sure that the url begins with Https:// instead of Http:// , facebook and most other social media sites are SSL secured so there should be an s after Http

Stay safe guys :alc:

Edited by The Stig