• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Belt Noise

JayZ

Question

Dear experts,

Im getting a belt noise from my car when i start it after long periods of parking. (cold start). After driving for 5 - 10 mins this noice goes away.

Mechanics advised me to replace the Alternator Belt. I checked several places and they have only the Alternator Belt and kits which consists of (Aux Belt, Crank Pulley & Tensioner) as a bundle.

Im not sure whether to replace only the belt or the whole kit. Can we check the Crank Pulley & Tensioner in good condition before replacing the same ?

And for the scritcing noise the main culprit is the Alternator Belt only or the Crank Pulley & Tensioner?

In a old thread i saw there is a spray that i could use to stop this noice. Could you please tel me the product name and a placee where i can buy this from ??

Appreciate your input ...

10 answers to this question

hi if the noise continue while driving then the whole set u mentioned to be replace but if it stops little time then sure the beld loosen and loss its tension so replace belt the matter ok better check visually if any wear of the belt if it look shiney then it wear or manually check the tension if not tight then it lossen.

Dear experts,

Im getting a belt noise from my car when i start it after long periods of parking. (cold start). After driving for 5 - 10 mins this noice goes away.

Mechanics advised me to replace the Alternator Belt. I checked several places and they have only the Alternator Belt and kits which consists of (Aux Belt, Crank Pulley & Tensioner) as a bundle.

Im not sure whether to replace only the belt or the whole kit. Can we check the Crank Pulley & Tensioner in good condition before replacing the same ?

And for the scritcing noise the main culprit is the Alternator Belt only or the Crank Pulley & Tensioner?

In a old thread i saw there is a spray that i could use to stop this noice. Could you please tel me the product name and a placee where i can buy this from ??

Appreciate your input ...

What is your car ?

If you note down the markings on the current belt you should be able to replace just the belt initially and see if it makes a difference. If your mechanic has advised you to replace the belt I would assume the original one is cracked and is in too poor a condition to be tightened. Is this the case?

hi if the noise continue while driving then the whole set u mentioned to be replace but if it stops little time then sure the beld loosen and loss its tension so replace belt the matter ok better check visually if any wear of the belt if it look shiney then it wear or manually check the tension if not tight then it lossen.

Hi hatharasinghe,

When i pull the belt with hand i can feel its tightly tensioned. And theres no visual wear as such. If i spray little water to the belt, the noise stops for a while but again comes after a while. When the engine is hot theres no noise.

What is your car ?

If you note down the markings on the current belt you should be able to replace just the belt initially and see if it makes a difference. If your mechanic has advised you to replace the belt I would assume the original one is cracked and is in too poor a condition to be tightened. Is this the case?

"markings on the current belt" means the Belt part number ?

There is no visual crack marks on the belt. but i guess its better to closely inspect all the pullys and the belt before replacing anything, since its very hard to see the belt when its fitted.

Hi hatharasinghe,

When i pull the belt with hand i can feel its tightly tensioned. And theres no visual wear as such. If i spray little water to the belt, the noise stops for a while but again comes after a while. When the engine is hot theres no noise.

well i think your belt has expird. just note down the serial no of it & replace only the belt. if there is any isuue after that please post it.

I had the same problem in my car. Couldn't find the solution for a long time. Tried several fan belts but they started becoming noisy after a few weeks use.

Then I went to the agents (in my case Unit#d Mot#rs since the car is a Mitsubishi) gave them the chassis/engine numbers and asked for the original fan belt from the manufacturer. That solved it!

Oh and also what may appear as "there are no visible cracks on the noisy fan belt" wont actually be true when u remove it and try straightening it. All the cracks will appear when you try to stretch it in that way.

I had the same problem in my car. Couldn't find the solution for a long time. Tried several fan belts but they started becoming noisy after a few weeks use.

Then I went to the agents (in my case Unit#d Mot#rs since the car is a Mitsubishi) gave them the chassis/engine numbers and asked for the original fan belt from the manufacturer. That solved it!

Oh and also what may appear as "there are no visible cracks on the noisy fan belt" wont actually be true when u remove it and try straightening it. All the cracks will appear when you try to stretch it in that way.

How much did this belt cost you and what is the engine you have in your car ?

you need new belts or your tensioner is not providing much tension to the belt. belt slips first 10 minutes because its colder and when the heats up belt hangs on tight with the belt. it there is good tension i would just replace the belts and go from there. i use a product called CRC belt dressing it soften the belt up stop the slips and squeals. that would not work on worn out belts.

How much did this belt cost you and what is the engine you have in your car ?

engine 4G15

4000 bucks which is the reason why many ppl opt to choose the low priced after market belts. I have tried all the other quick fixes such as using a spray, using soap shavings, 3 new after market belts and even spraying water, but all that do not last long.

you need new belts or your tensioner is not providing much tension to the belt. belt slips first 10 minutes because its colder and when the heats up belt hangs on tight with the belt. it there is good tension i would just replace the belts and go from there. i use a product called CRC belt dressing it soften the belt up stop the slips and squeals. that would not work on worn out belts.

'blkr6',

I find you are a technically qualified person when I read your posts I like to share the following.

Your post you mention about belt dressing. I have used this for a belt creaking noise it stopped for a short time then I replaced the belt that too was temporary solution, this was a new vehicle done only 2000 KMs changed three V grove belts for 7500 KMs finally the problem was solved, by the following method.

Problem was on V grove crank pulley manufacturers fault on the crank pulley, that lot of vehicles imported to the country. I with careful examination found the fault. Examining the three used V grove belts I found same fault, on three V grove belts the bottom of all V groves of the belts were polished and the crank pulley V grove top too was polished.

Ploy V grove Belt when it is new for 2000KMs was OK when they get wasted the creaking starts, the creaking was there in the morning start for 3 minutes and disappear later every time the engine starts during the day.In the nights when the lights are on creaking never stops, because the crank pulley turns fast due to alternator generates more current belt slips.

The problem was solved in following way.

Machining the crank pulley V groves to grip the poly V grove belt so that there will not be a belt slip. I made the carbon tip tool to the correct size of the poly V grove belt (new belt) V grove and machined the crank pulley V so that poly V grove belt will not slip on the crank pulley as I have my own lathe and the knowledge I did above my self and sorted out the problem.

After this experience I have done more than ten of this type of slipping of V grove belt on same lot of new Vehicles which was imported few years back.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.