• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Toyota Townace Head Lamp Issue

flashmark

Question

Hi,

My brother townace (lotto) head lamps lights too weak.

One of the technical person said that this is common issue for this Towan-ace lotto model.

Is that true?

Also he said that need additional wiring to fix high volt head lamps because exitsing one not enough for it.(He said wiring will be short if fix the high volts lamps to existing wiring).Is that correct?

Thanks

16 answers to this question

well as i remember the lotto comes with glass headlamp covers so i guess it haven't get oxidized as well.

and i dont know weather its possible or not to it to change the bulbs like that even after re-wiring.

actually the wiring wont get damage. the bulb holder and the headlight switch near the steering wheel will be the victims.

when i bought my car, the previous owner had put 100/90w bulbs for one side, when the original voltage should be 60/55w

it burnt one holder and the switch went haywire as well.

Fishmark,

Change your bulbs to high wattage 100/90 and fix up a relay, if not your head light switch can give away. Try with same wiring if they do not heat up you can use the existing wiring will be OK . If heating Have to change two high quality holders and rewire the head light circuit only, with a thicker gauge of auto wire.

******************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Schiffer,

As for your post if you change high wattage bulbs you have to use a relay, if not the switch and holders will burn off wires to head lights will get heated.

Existing wires you can fix a relay with a supply line of a thicker gauge one wire to the relay which can handle about 250 watts that works out to about 20 amps, your relay too have to handle 20 amps or higher.

This relay is fitted near the head light switch or some where you can accommodate the relay and two head light Bulbs are connected to that. Head light switch will operate high and low beam.

If further information is necessary please do post with your problem.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Edited by Sylvi

Having owned a Lotto Townace for 13 years, we were always advised against using higher wattage bulbs due to the fact that the lamps themselves might get damaged from the extra heat. I went the route of adding HID lights instead. I dunno how much it would cost to buy and have them installed here, since I imported and installed them myself.

Having owned a Lotto Townace for 13 years, we were always advised against using higher wattage bulbs due to the fact that the lamps themselves might get damaged from the extra heat. I went the route of adding HID lights instead. I dunno how much it would cost to buy and have them installed here, since I imported and installed them myself.

'terrabytetango',

How do you find during rainy weather driving, with HID lights.

Do you get a clear distance view like normal bulbs.

Rainy weather driving. I have read lot of negative posts.

Like to have your valuable comments.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Sylvi

HID's are quite capable in handling bad weather lighting. Fair bit of rally racers like the baja 1000 are all using HID's now.

It all depends on the color temperature you choose for your bulbs. Not necessarily the HID technology.

Say if you use 6000k and up bulbs, the light tends to be white or bluish. It goes upto purplish as you enter the 8000k range.

Best bulbs IMHO for all weather driving is 4300k. It's a yellowish light. Something like a conventional halogen bulb would put out.

This color range is not very attractive to most local crowd cos it doesn't look "cool" enough for them. So they tend to go for the blue lights mostly.

Sylvi

HID's are quite capable in handling bad weather lighting. Fair bit of rally racers like the baja 1000 are all using HID's now.

It all depends on the color temperature you choose for your bulbs. Not necessarily the HID technology.

Say if you use 6000k and up bulbs, the light tends to be white or bluish. It goes upto purplish as you enter the 8000k range.

Best bulbs IMHO for all weather driving is 4300k. It's a yellowish light. Something like a conventional halogen bulb would put out.

This color range is not very attractive to most local crowd cos it doesn't look "cool" enough for them. So they tend to go for the blue lights mostly.

'Ripper',

Thank you for your reply, delay in reply as I was out of Colombo returned only today evening. As for your advice I will go for 4300K HID Kit.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

if you think its a wiring related issue rewire it with a new relay, fuse and new wire harnesses.

get a 4 prong Relay and you should see 85,86,87 and 30 written in the prongs

run a wire from your headlight switch to the 86 prong on the relay

run a wire from 85 prong to a ground

run a wire from 30 to the (+) battery terminal and put a 15 amp inline fuse in between

run a 87 prong to the head light wire harnesses

do the same to the high beam circuit.

'terrabytetango',

How do you find during rainy weather driving, with HID lights.

Do you get a clear distance view like normal bulbs.

Rainy weather driving. I have read lot of negative posts.

Like to have your valuable comments.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Sylvi, I specifically chose 4300K bulbs for my Townace because I wanted maximum functionality rather than the look afforded by cooler temperatures i.e. 6000k, 8000k. I found the performance in rain and the early morning Agalawatte mist/fog had improved significantly. The one precaution you should take is to adjust your headlights lower than standard so that glare to oncoming drivers is minimized. Since the reflector in the standard housing is meant for straight filament bulbs, the light from the curved arc of HID bulb is reflected differently and creates additional glare.

• Like 1

'terrabytetango',

Thank you for your post and the performance report. Please inform me from where did you buy and the cost of the 4300K HID kit.

I want to fix them on my Maruti Omni van.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Hi Sylvi,In SL you can get the kits ranging from 11K upwards. But mostly what i have seen is temperatures 6000K and upwards. I bought a kit off eBay for Rs. 4.5k and it works just fine for almost 6 months now. Some ppl say these cheap kits wont work properly but if we look around the shops in SL and what they have, its the same kits with an attractive box. :)

Im also interested in going for a Xenon......

instead of Seal Beam light(KR 42) i replaced Crystal Lights but to me it didn't make any big difference

What i want is to have good view at night also in rain.....

if you want good view at night and in bad weathers go for 4300k colour temperature hid kit.

• Like 1

i don't think you can buy 4300k hid kit in SL you have to use e-bay for that sorry i don't know the price. in SL i only come across 6000k and 8000k kits they are range from 11k upwards.

Edited by nexus