• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Parking With Ac On For Long Time

hatharasinghe

Question

Dear all is it not good for the engine to park the car and AC on for longtime such as 2hrs while engine running in parking mode if any damages to engine or it only the cost of fuel pls explain

thanks.

'hatharasinghe',

There is nothing wrong if you do not drive the car, keep your engine running. Because engine run little faster and consume according to the engine speed, what is required for the A/C compressor and the cooling fans, other current what is necessary to run the engine. Petrol will consume very much less than moving the car on the road. I have done this in USA Arizona during the summer when we went across to Mexico, we stopped for lunch for two hours in a Trailer attached caravan.

The vehicle was a ford 6 cylinder with attached caravan for 4 people. Meters did not show any overheating of the engine.

Sylvi wijesinghe.

What about the effect on the timing belt? What I thought was that though we measure as to when the timing belt is to be changed according to the mileage it's a matter of guidance as the direct relationship is with regard to the length for which the engine has run. Therefore when a vehicle has idled for far too long it would mean that the mileage reading and the actual engine running time would be very different.

As a few members have mentioned there may also be engine cooling issues if it were to be done on a regular basis. I guess one off incident will not affect the car but doing this often might seriously put your vehicle at risk.

Its a interesting question.....

One argument against this is if when the car is moving both the a/c condenser and the radiator gets some natural cooling. Ans since this is not there the fans may have to work a little harder, but since the engine is on idle the rpm is under 1, which means its generating only small amount of power just to keep it without stalling.

So we have a situ where the power is less, but the demand for power is more from the fans and blower. You could argue that car is intelligent enough to balance this by increasing the rpm when needed but I somewhow feel this is not good, as the ac fan is always switching on and off .

But seriously why would anyone want to keep it running for 2 hours, you are just wasting the petrol and also polluting the environment. Btw you should not do this in a closed car park. I always try to take a calculated guess. If its a case where the wife has to go in to a cloths shop, best thing to do is to find a nice shaddy spot and switch off that engine..

'CARBON B4',

I agree to your first few sentences.

I always try to take a calculated guess. If its a case where the wife has to go in to a cloths shop, best thing to do is to find a nice shaddy spot and switch off that engine.

I appricate your above few words, not only that you save fuel too and enviorement polution also.

When we switch on the A/C Automatically engine RPM goes up to compensate the load there by there will not be any issues for the engine. I use to check every 1/2 hour the engine temperature meter in USA whenever use a trailer caravan because of high temperatures during the summer in Arizona and those fords are build to any climatic conditions of USA. One reason because trailer is attached in USA almost all cars I have hired are 6 cylinder engines for mountain climbing with the trailer.

In USA running the engine on a open car park for trailers they do not restrict the running of engine. Almost all vehicles have modern technology exhaust systems fitted so that emitting gases have minumum effect on the enverioment. I did not care for fuel consumction in USA as I had enough $ to go for a holiday.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

What about the effect on the timing belt? What I thought was that though we measure as to when the timing belt is to be changed according to the mileage it's a matter of guidance as the direct relationship is with regard to the length for which the engine has run. Therefore when a vehicle has idled for far too long it would mean that the mileage reading and the actual engine running time would be very different.

As a few members have mentioned there may also be engine cooling issues if it were to be done on a regular basis. I guess one off incident will not affect the car but doing this often might seriously put your vehicle at risk.

'g-unit',

You have point on the timing belt issue. 2hours running is negligible for those renting cars in USA. Because they do not use more than three years for renting. Mileage on odometers will be 60thousand miles or under. Very well maintained tires always has 60% threads on them I have never had any break downs on the way. Either they scrap those cars or sell them out in auctions.

SylviWijesinghe.

One service person told me if you frequently do it its not much good. When vehicle move the engine get less stress because the power produced by the engine is used by the wheels. But if the vehicle is parked when the engine is running and ac on it is more stress to the engine (that's why you can feel more vibration than when running).

Only disadvantage is you can't get correct indication how much your engine has ran and how often the services should do (most of the time we used to service vehicle 5000km period. In this case engine has worked and ran more even meter says its 5000kms). Therefore if you park vehicle often with ac turned on its better you service the vehicle in 4000km cycles.

on 99% of cars, vans and trucks when you switch ac on the ac fans will also switch on. It is to aid extra cooling to the radiator and the condensor. ive said 99% as im sure there is a car out there that will be the odd ball and wont switch its fans on for a few mins but i have yet to see one.

as others have said engine rpm is slightly raised to compensate the clutch being switched on at the compressor, but engine rpm is only slightly raised just like it is with PAS. if your at idle and turn the steering wheel lock to lock the engine ecu reads that engine speed is at idle and raises it to stop stalling.

Using ac at idle does not put extra strain on an engine and the cause of vibrations is not because the engine is finding it tough to handle. engine vibrations are a natural side effect of having pistons going up and down in the bores from an explosion of fuel.....vibrations are absorbed via the engine mounts but naturally the higher the rpm range the less vibration is felt as the engine cycle is speeding up.

In regards to timing belts and servicing, ANY vehicle that lives with a longer engine running time than usual has different service schedules that are more often i.e. taxi, bus, city delivery vehicle and this will be listed on the vehicle service sheet same as if the vehicle is often used in hard conditions.

• Like 1

on 99% of cars, vans and trucks when you switch ac on the ac fans will also switch on. It is to aid extra cooling to the radiator and the condensor. ive said 99% as im sure there is a car out there that will be the odd ball and wont switch its fans on for a few mins but i have yet to see one.

as others have said engine rpm is slightly raised to compensate the clutch being switched on at the compressor, but engine rpm is only slightly raised just like it is with PAS. if your at idle and turn the steering wheel lock to lock the engine ecu reads that engine speed is at idle and raises it to stop stalling.

Using ac at idle does not put extra strain on an engine and the cause of vibrations is not because the engine is finding it tough to handle. engine vibrations are a natural side effect of having pistons going up and down in the bores from an explosion of fuel.....vibrations are absorbed via the engine mounts but naturally the higher the rpm range the less vibration is felt as the engine cycle is speeding up.

In regards to timing belts and servicing, ANY vehicle that lives with a longer engine running time than usual has different service schedules that are more often i.e. taxi, bus, city delivery vehicle and this will be listed on the vehicle service sheet same as if the vehicle is often used in hard conditions.

'fonfe',

Correct reply post by you.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

WARNING!!!

Do not do this in an enclosed space! Carbon monoxide may kill you! (check for a recent news where two young lovers died on the web)

Secondly..

If your alternator is not performing efficiently, the battery may run down, because at lower rpms the charging may not be optimal.

and if this happens a few times you may be in for a new battery

and there is a "possibility" that the alternator regulator could burn out too, if the batter is running quite low

Edited by frontwheel

WARNING!!! Do not do this in an enclosed space! Carbon monoxide may kill you! (check for a recent news where two young lovers died on the web) Secondly.. If your alternator is not performing efficiently, the battery may run down, because at lower rpms the charging may not be optimal. and if this happens a few times you may be in for a new battery and there is a "possibility" that the alternator regulator could burn out too, if the batter is running quite low

'frontwheel',

Please do not misunderstand I totally disagree to your post.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

rontwheel, on 28 November 2011 - 12:19 PM, said:

WARNING!!! Do not do this in an enclosed space! Carbon monoxide may kill you! (check for a recent news where two young lovers died on the web) Secondly.. If your alternator is not performing efficiently, the battery may run down, because at lower rpms the charging may not be optimal. and if this happens a few times you may be in for a new battery and there is a "possibility" that the alternator regulator could burn out too, if the batter is running quite low

'frontwheel',

Please do not misunderstand I totally disagree to your post.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Dear Sylvi,

Please check here for an incident of CO poisoning

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/inquirerheadlines/metro/view/20100705-279394/Teenage-couple-dies-of-carbon-monoxide-poisoning

For the other comments I have made, can you reason out why you disagree?

WARNING!!!

Do not do this in an enclosed space! Carbon monoxide may kill you! (check for a recent news where two young lovers died on the web)

Secondly..

If your alternator is not performing efficiently, the battery may run down, because at lower rpms the charging may not be optimal.

and if this happens a few times you may be in for a new battery

and there is a "possibility" that the alternator regulator could burn out too, if the batter is running quite low

Complete and utter bullshit...

Yes people have died from CO poisoning,but those were mostly people committing suicide or being extremely stupid and running the car in enclosed places for extended periods.In modern cars there safety measures installed to prevent it happening.

And alternator faults?seriously?....What's with the ifs and but's?.We are talking about a normal healthy car here...If your alternator is broken,fix the damn thing before going anywhere...I've been stranded twice in my life while on the move because the alternator went kaput and the battery ran out...what do suggest?...maybe I shouldn't drive my car ever coz the alternator may go out. :violent-smiley-100:

• Like 2

hahahahahahahah you guys crack me up!

ok i mean "front wheel" by you guys there........don is totally right....if your altenator isnt working properly then you shouldnt be using your car....period.

as far as CO poisoning you would have to be pretty stupid to run a car inside anywhere thats inclosed.....garages usually have exhaust extraction for this very reason when mechanics have to run a car inside. so other than if you have a leaking exhaust (which you should have fixed regardless) you are perfectly safe running a car and not going anywhere.

+ theres the point that CO poisoning is known as the "silent killer" -well ive had a mild case if it before myself and you dont just suddenly pass out, you start to feel tired and your body doesnt feel quite right and whats the most normal thing to do if you dont feel quite right? have some FRESH AIR. so when it happened to me i pulled the door handle and promtly rolled out of my car onto the wet tarmac. scary experience yes, but common sense made sure im alive.

• Like 1

rontwheel, on 28 November 2011 - 12:19 PM, said:

Dear Sylvi,

Please check here for an incident of CO poisoning

http://newsinfo.inqu...oxide-poisoning

For the other comments I have made, can you reason out why you disagree?

'frontwheel',

First of all you your self had answered to your Question about Carbon monoxide. I said in my post on open spaces you can operate a automoile engine without any problem. One example I can give you, All fork lifts which are operated inside where houses are battery operated fork lifts, They are recharged every night for 8 to 10 hours.

Other members had replied about "silent killer".

Alternates came to automobiles during late 1960's due to Dynamos was not that effective on slow speed running.There is no way your battery can get effected running a automobile for few hours on slow RPM.

I am not blowing my own trumpet. Magnetoes, Dynamoes, Altenaters, was my specality. At preset totaly different automobile service to motorists in my mother land.

I started my automobile maintenance carrier late 1950's. During that time I may have repaired thousands of Dynamos, with various modifications for the customers requirements. Thereafter Alternators from 1970 early part till I went on to a another, automoile service in 1992. From 1970's to 1988 late before I left to USA

I may have repaired more than 10000 Altennators of different automobiles as well as industrial units. Including industrial Generators, Motors, Armatures.

Even today I still do my vehicles engine repairs on my own, have few permenent workers to maintain them.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.