• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Parking With Ac On For Long Time

hatharasinghe

Question

I run a vehicle with an old engine (non ecu) and when I was parked with the engine and the AC on under the scorching heat in Colombo, I noticed that the temperature meter has gone a tad up (more than the ideal as per the manufacturers mark), but it stayed just below the halfway mark. When the vehicle started to move, the temperature gauge gradually came down to the ideal level. So, I guess the cooling systems do get some support from flowing air when the vehicle is on the move. And the increased ambient heat is making the cooling system work a little harder than usual. At least for the non-ecu engines...

Edited by isam

rontwheel, on 28 November 2011 - 12:19 PM, said:

WARNING!!! Do not do this in an enclosed space! Carbon monoxide may kill you! (check for a recent news where two young lovers died on the web) Secondly.. If your alternator is not performing efficiently, the battery may run down, because at lower rpms the charging may not be optimal. and if this happens a few times you may be in for a new battery and there is a "possibility" that the alternator regulator could burn out too, if the batter is running quite low

Dear Sylvi,

Please check here for an incident of CO poisoning

http://newsinfo.inqu...oxide-poisoning

For the other comments I have made, can you reason out why you disagree?

They died on the web? Did they have virtual coffins?

Oh how did I miss this topic,

Running engine with loads such as AC and maybe alternator loads on idle power will not damage the engine instantly but has a definite bad effect and will reduce the life of the engine and its components including AC.

If a petrol engine due to low running, spark plugs will very bad effects when running idle for prolong periods. (Will explain this in detail if required).Resulting loss of power,incorrect sparks and reduction of life. If a diesel engine the effect on inj nozzles are seriously greater.Since the oil pump rotation is restricted on idle power oil circulation and lubrication will be less resulting bad effects on bearings. Mind you all this happens on heavy loads and obviously temp goes up and secondary effects on lubrication.

If vehicle is equipped with an electric cooling fan the effect on temp is relatively less.There are bad effects on AC system as well.All ACs are designed to run with 50-60% ram air and when stationary the ram air support is zero and will ruin the system soon plus again the overall cooling will effect including the AC effects...

Running idle for a long period on multiple occasions is definately bad but once when you in a serious situ with GF is fine..but dont make it a habit ;)

MINIACE

• Like 2

At around 3:35 Jezza, quite unscientifically, demonstrates why proper airflow is important to cooling an engine. And also why you shouldn't drive in reverse for extended periods of time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vns-9sqxmCw&feature=related

Based on the posts by miniace & isam, I guess we can conclude that running a engine idle with the ac on for a long period 1 to 2 hours should be avoided if possible. Although there are some contradicting views regarding the alternator, the fact is the component is being used, which will obviously resulting in some wear on the part.

Apart from the issue on the engine components its a waste of money.

Based on the posts by miniace & isam, I guess we can conclude that running a engine idle with the ac on for a long period 1 to 2 hours should be avoided if possible. Although there are some contradicting views regarding the alternator, the fact is the component is being used, which will obviously resulting in some wear on the part.

Apart from the issue on the engine components its a waste of money.

Excellent summarization. If the engines were in fact designed to be run stationary, they would have an engine hours meter, like the Mercedes Unimog.

165687d1204676606-406-engine-hour-meter-unimog_30.jpg

Oh how did I miss this topic,

Running engine with loads such as AC and maybe alternator loads on idle power will not damage the engine instantly but has a definite bad effect and will reduce the life of the engine and its components including AC.

If a petrol engine due to low running, spark plugs will very bad effects when running idle for prolong periods. (Will explain this in detail if required).Resulting loss of power,incorrect sparks and reduction of life. If a diesel engine the effect on inj nozzles are seriously greater.Since the oil pump rotation is restricted on idle power oil circulation and lubrication will be less resulting bad effects on bearings. Mind you all this happens on heavy loads and obviously temp goes up and secondary effects on lubrication.

If vehicle is equipped with an electric cooling fan the effect on temp is relatively less.There are bad effects on AC system as well.All ACs are designed to run with 50-60% ram air and when stationary the ram air support is zero and will ruin the system soon plus again the overall cooling will effect including the AC effects...

Running idle for a long period on multiple occasions is definately bad but once when you in a serious situ with GF is fine..but dont make it a habit ;)

MINIACE

MINIACE,

There some points in your post I agree.It is good if you explain about spark plug damage and Diesel injector running for log time at low RPM.

More than 50 or more years ago, ford cars had only two fan blades single bent steel fan, they have to stop in few road side water filling points on the road to kandy.Due to the hill climb engine starts to boil. Then there was no pressurized radiators.

Water filling points by the side of the road, I dot think they are existing at present.Now they operate few places to do car washing.

Later famous Fan Bass from Ibbanwala junction fixed two more blades totaling to four fan blades to those cars. Boiling of water in all modified fan cars, were completely stopped after this modification

I have used trailer fixed cars for more than two hours engine running when ever I parked in hot climate days. They are from rented cars in USA.So no follow up on maintenance of them. I have done few thousands of miles on those cars without any problems to me.

Like to know scientific details of running the car engine for long time at low RPM. Will give A/L members good education on the engines

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

MINIACE,

There some points in your post I agree.It is good if you explain about spark plug damage and Diesel injector running for log time at low RPM.

More than 50 or more years ago, ford cars had only two fan blades single bent steel fan, they have to stop in few road side water filling points on the road to kandy.Due to the hill climb engine starts to boil. Then there was no pressurized radiators.

Water filling points by the side of the road, I dot think they are existing at present.Now they operate few places to do car washing.

Later famous Fan Bass from Ibbanwala junction fixed two more blades totaling to four fan blades to those cars. Boiling of water in all modified fan cars, were completely stopped after this modification

I have used trailer fixed cars for more than two hours engine running when ever I parked in hot climate days. They are from rented cars in USA.So no follow up on maintenance of them. I have done few thousands of miles on those cars without any problems to me.

Like to know scientific details of running the car engine for long time at low RPM. Will give A/L members good education on the engines

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Hi Sylvi,

Well I noticed that almost all your posts carry some details about local history. You study local motoring history or something? Relevant or not thanks for sharing those details mate.

Coming back to idle scenario, it seems you confused about running idle good or bad and you still worship running idle is OK since you have good "international experience". Further I noticed that you have lot of time for browsing..so shall we play a little Motoring game here...Agree??

I say..running idle is bad...and I posted few bad areas including effects on spark plugs and nozzles...You have to believe my words and you have 101 reasons for that ..(if you dont thats disaster) so be my team mate and tell all the guys reading this topic why it is bad. Just the spark plug and nozzle issue only..

Its simple just browse and find..time is limited ..only till noon today the 2nd..If you failed to find..you tell me what to do..If you win..yo deserve a nice Aviation memento! only you can participate!

Agree?

I love playing games :rolleyes:

MINIACE

especially if you have your Aerial up :)

if your aerial's up but the bloody AC is on your mind, then its time to see a therapist

I like the way you think dude! :P

MINIACE

'miniace',

Thank you giving me a challenge on that issue. Time has lapsed. I only logged in today morning after 3 AM to read your post yesterday was a very busy day with plenty of work for the service what I do. It is better you educate me and other member too on that subject. Please pardon me for the request.

Sylvi Wijesinghe

So we are back to square one.! Is it good to keep engine while A/C on while parked or not? :D

'MrCat',

Can you give a answer for using a car engine at low rpm without running on the road.(The effects of prolonged idling on modern motor car engines)

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

'miniace',

Thank you giving me a challenge on that issue. Time has lapsed. I only logged in today morning after 3 AM to read your post yesterday was a very busy day with plenty of work for the service what I do. It is better you educate me and other member too on that subject. Please pardon me for the request.

Sylvi Wijesinghe

Ayyo Sylvi mate..I am disappointed. :(

Anyways since the game is over after Sylvi throwing the towel without an attempt, let me tell all why prolonged closed throttle running is bad for spark plugs,

Prolong and extensive idle running prevent spark plug core temperature running inadequate .Only when running above 1000 RPM the core temperature reaches healthy temps and hot enough to activate the lead scavenger agents in fuel thus preventing lead salt deposit formation on plugs and exhaust valve stems.This is in simple terms known as the plug fouling. Plug fouling happens due to many reasons and prolong running at idle is one main cause.

Hope all doubts are cleared. :dance3:

MINIACE

Ayyo Sylvi mate..I am disappointed. :(

Anyways since the game is over after Sylvi throwing the towel without an attempt, let me tell all why prolonged closed throttle running is bad for spark plugs,

Prolong and extensive idle running prevent spark plug core temperature running inadequate .Only when running above 1000 RPM the core temperature reaches healthy temps and hot enough to activate the lead scavenger agents in fuel thus preventing lead salt deposit formation on plugs and exhaust valve stems.This is in simple terms known as the plug fouling. Plug fouling happens due to many reasons and prolong running at idle is one main cause.

Hope all doubts are cleared. :dance3:

MINIACE

Honorable Miniace,

I agree to your point. Please note after two or more hours stop we start moving again at 40 MPH, or maximum speed allowed to move according to said vehicles speed on high ways. Most high ways show your speed with allowed maximum speed. Not in Srilanka,then will that will not help to the already deposit formed plugs and valves to come back to serviceable condition.

I said in my post that I have not serviced or maintained them. Those hired vehicles are maintained by the hiring companies to highest quality, as all of them have fitted with a recorder notifying, the owners how the hired user had used the vehicle. If i am not mistaken when the A/C and other load comes on on those trailer mounted vehicles are automatically adjusted to maintain correct speeds to prevent adverse affects on the engines.

I have never checked the engine speed of them, only monitor the temperature meter because the instructions given to us by the hiring company always check Radiator water level correct tire pressure oil level and monitor the correct engine temperature of the meter.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Edited by Sylvi